Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

Do you think they are testing it or something?

Now that all these towers have been upgraded to 3G/4G ,will ATT need to add new antennas for when they eventually upgrade to LTE? or will these recent upgrades allow them to basically "turn on" LTE whenever they plan for LTE to go live on that tower?

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

@JREwing53

Data here in Lewiston in shotty as it is toggling between 4 bars of EDGE and 2 bars of "4G" as well.  They seem to have tuned the power level down when the 4G is on here and also the tower in Atlanta, which means they are still testing or there may be some other issues. I mapped coverage in both towns on Sensorly and you can see the very light, almost non-existant coverage on the map so my phone is depicting the weak signal the tower is giving off. It would appear there is complete HSDPA (3G) coverage on M-32 from Gaylord to Alpena, and on M-33 between Atlanta and Onaway.

@American Ninja

Yes they are testing but I don't think it will be long before they leave it on and turn it up to full power.....which doesn't mean an increase in speed however. I haven't been to Alpena lately, but the city is now depicted in darker Orange which I assume that means they are running HSDPA 7.2/UMTS/HSPA+ which is on some form of enhanced backhaul. The areas that have the new coverage now will be upgraded sometime later this year. AT&T does not have to add new pannels for LTE. All of the towers with new panels have the latest technology which are multi-modal and multi-frequency capable. They can be used for all of AT&T's network bands...EDGE/3G/HSPA+/LTE/AWS. 

2013-08-02_22-43-51.jpg 2013-08-02_22-44-13.jpg

These screenshots were taken last night here in Lewiston. Notice the high dBm. This test was taken about 300 yards from the tower.

2 Attachments

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

JREwing53

Is the 4G still on and off in your area or has it been on consistantly?? Heard anything about Detour and Drummond Island??

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

Today, we had 4g with five bars most of the day. Tonight, it's been Edge with three bars. If I turn airplane mode on and off, I will get 4g. Not sure why I keeps doing that.

They must be working on the Cedarville tower also. No news on Detour or Drummond Island.

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

Inconsistent speeds tonight.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Ok thanks for the update. It was doing that in Lewiston as well and even though the AT&T tower there is not as tall as the Verizon tower, AT&T's "4G" signal seems to be getting out farther than the 700MHz LTE signal. It shouldn't be long before they turn it up to full power 🙂

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

It's Wednesday, August 7. Downtown Pickford is showing excellent coverage and download data speeds. The upload speed is pretty slow though. Showing five bars most of the time. If this keeps up, I'll stick with AT&T. Hey, it's not LTE, but at least it's decent for our area.

Screenshot_2013-08-07-08-51-10.png

1 Attachment

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Excellent!!! The speeds up there should only get better by the end of the year. If that test was in downtown Pickford and the tower is 3-5 miles south, you are doing very good. LTE is great but because the towers are spread out so far in northern MI ,you fall back to 3G and 1x quite often when venturing a few miles off the main roads. I have Verizon phone/data service and I can say that for a fact. Now AT&T will most likely launch LTE up there in the next year or so,but it probably won't be on 700 MHz. When they upgrade the entire U.P. that will be awesome!!! Here is a speedtest I ran last night using my AT&T Liberate hotspot, and which you should see similar speeds as well in the next 5 months.

Screenshot_2013-08-07-00-38-56.png

HSPA+ Almont, Mi.

1 Attachment

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

@Lewyman wrote:

Excellent!!! The speeds up there should only get better by the end of the year. If that test was in downtown Pickford and the tower is 3-5 miles south, you are doing very good. LTE is great but because the towers are spread out so far in northern MI ,you fall back to 3G and 1x quite often when venturing a few miles off the main roads. I have Verizon phone/data service and I can say that for a fact. Now AT&T will most likely launch LTE up there in the next year or so,but it probably won't be on 700 MHz. When they upgrade the entire U.P. that will be awesome!!! Here is a speedtest I ran last night using my AT&T Liberate hotspot, and which you should see similar speeds as well in the next 5 months.

Screenshot_2013-08-07-00-38-56.png

HSPA+ Almont, Mi.

That's faster than my internet service here in Pickford. We have Centurytel, and it's the most horrible internet service I've ever had. Zero customer service. But they have a monopoly here and they know it. Hopefully AT&T will bring UVerse here in the near future. Charter was here years ago, but left town.

1 Attachment

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

The network here is just lightning fast this evening. Don't know what is going on but I have a feeling AT&T is getting ready to fire up LTE very soon here. I can honestly say I have never seen uploads on HSPA+ this fast and consistant as they are running right now. The speeds from my hotspot are faster than my DSL as well.

Screenshot_2013-08-07-17-45-29.png

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.