Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

I wish I would get a text message from AT&T. Nothing here yet in the eastern UP.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

If AT&T activates 3G/4G(HSPA+) in your area your phone should automatically switch, but it wouldn't hurt to restart your phone now and then. Sometimes a restart is needed if they have just turned on service, as was the case in Gaylord after it first went live. Hope you guys get it soon up there....EDGE is terrible as you know!!

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Screenshot_2013-02-03-21-50-06.png

Verizon LTE speedtest result from Imlay City, MI

1 Attachment

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Just checking on the website: sensorly.com which maps people's data network type on their phones. It appears that Sprint 4G LTE is live in many areas of southern Michigan, many more areas than AT&T.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

I turned my phone off then on again just to see I had 3G but I dont. Nothing here in the central U.P. Smiley Sad

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

That's too bad. AT&T does have better coverage in the U.P. and northeast Mi, just a shame they aren' t moving faster to upgrade their network. I would guess that AT&T is going to be hitting northern Mi harder this year and hopefully soon you will get 3/4G.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

Yeah it sucks. Would calling AT&T and asking them if 3/4G they are going to be expanding their 3/4G coverage in the U.P. help? There is an AT&T store in Escanaba, think they would know anything?

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

11 years ago

AT&T customer service knows literally nothing about 3G/"4G" expansions. I tried we'll over 20 times during my term with AT&T and gained absolutely nothing. Corporate retail stores also have no information and will just tell you anything to get you to buy a device.

You're best bet would be to email AT&T's midwest corporate offices.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

No. Like Tpeltz stated the retail stores don't have access to that information. They have been telling people that 3G was coming to northern Mi since 2008. I switched to Verizon a few months ago and haven't regretted it. They have 4G LTE in Escanaba. Hope your service is upgraded this year.

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

As I said earlier on this thread, when I went to buy my HTC OneX last June, I asked about 4G in the area I was moving to. Yep, 4G was coming by July 30...nanenanea...  Guess what? Still on Edge. This was from an ATT corporate store.  So much for relibable info.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.