Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Explorer

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Even Sprint will have Bay City and Saginaw on LTE in the next few months. AT&T better step it up.

Randy

2g in Alpena

The full list of markets that will gain access to Sprint 4G LTE follows:

• Albany, Ga.
  • Anderson, S.C.
  • Bay City, Mich
  • Branson, Mo.
  • Bremerton/Silverdale, Wash.
  • Columbus, Ga.
  • Columbus, Miss.
  • Decatur, Ala.
  • Florence/Muscle Shoals, Ala.
  • Gadsden, Ala.
  • Gaffney, S.C.
  • Gettysburg, Pa.
  • Glasgow, Ky.
  • Homosassa Springs, Fla.
  • Hot Springs, Ark.
  • Lake City, Fla.
  • Lake Havasu City/Kingman, Ariz.
  • Midland, Mich.
  • Nacogdoches, Tex.
  • Opelousas/Eunice, La.
  • Oxford, Miss.
  • Paris, Tex.
  • Pittsfield, Mass.
  • Saginaw, Mich.
  • Spartanburg, S.C.
  • The Villages, Fla.
  • Waycross, Ga.
  • Winona, Minn.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Well AT&T's 4G (HSPA+) ends north of Bay City around the 176 mile marker on I-75 in which it drops to EDGE. Verizon LTE ends around the 188 but when it drops off at least it reverts to 3G. Like TPeltz stated in a previous post AT&T simply does not have enough spectrum to launch LTE north of their current 4G cutoff at this time. However, they are acquiring spectrum from other companies plus they are going to start refarming their PCS and Cellular frequencies to achieve 10x10 Mhz paired spectrum to deploy LTE on. But that will be a while yet, not to mention the fact that a big majority of their towers up there haven't been upgraded with new panels yet.....and lastly they are WAY behind in the necessary fiber/microwave backhaul. I'm not an expert by any means but I would say realistically that a statewide AT&T LTE deployment is at least 3 years away. New York and Chicago will have LTE Advanced before you will see 3G.

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

Is there hope on the horizon....???

I called ATT last week to complain (yet again) about the poor data coverage in the Alpena area.  I stated that I've been a loyal customer for about 4 years now, and year after year I am given the false hope that some day (hopefully before I retire and move away) they will upgreade the service in my area.  I told them that that I can only use about half of the fancy functions on my phone due to lack of data connectivity (Siri? nope.  Maps? barely.  Speach to text? nope).  Only using wifi, but not through Edge.  I was seriously planning to pay the cx fee and jump ship.

After speaking with the first agent, she politely offered to credit my account for $30/mo for the next 6 mos to cover my unlimited texting.  I told her that would be great....HOWEVER....and trying not to sound ungrateful...I was still concerned that the poor data service was here to stay and that I held out no hope of ever seeing improvement.  She sympathized with my complaint and dircted me to another department, where she felt my concerns could be better addressed.

The next fella I spoke with was very cordial and sympathetic as well.  After giving him my iPhone-life horror story, he offered to credit my account for an additional $250 dollars!  Clearly they are becoming sensitive to the complaints of shoddy service and are trying to do something about it.  He further offered that (although he wasn't supposed to bandy about any dates) they are planning to have 3G service in Alpena by March 29, and 4G service in mid May of this year.  

I don't know if they will be able to hold to these dates...or if this is just more fluff aimed at trying to placate the people who call with concerns.  What I do know is that I will be saving $380 over the next 6 months on my phone bill and, hopefully, by the end of that time I will be able to pull up a map on my phone to give me directions to the beer store so I can go pick up a 6 pack and celebrate.

If you haven't contacted ATT to express your concerns over the lack of service in your area, it may be worth your while to do so.  I was very polite and measured in my conversations with the folks on the line, and they genuinely seemed to appreciate my complaints.  Here's hoping that they can keep to these timelines and FINALLY get service upgraded  in our neck of the woods!

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

I called today and they never offered me anything.  But they did say that our towers are to upgraded to 4G on June 29, 2013.  

Ok, now I've heard these promises before, but at least they give me hope.

The problem for me is, that Verizon is horrible here.  They don't even have cell coverage in Pickford. I guess i will ride it out and hopefully will be a happy camper by Independance Day!

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

@Mjrtom7
That is some good news and it sounds like AT&T is trying to keep their customers happy. You know that Verizon has 4G LTE live in and around Alpena?? OK....basically what AT&T considers "4G" is essentially what the 3G standard should be, unless they specify LTE......and Alpena will not be getting AT&T LTE sorry to say. The thing that sucks is they need to keep expanding. Take Gaylord for example....it has 4G(H+) but they have not continued to expand so if you go south or east you fall back to EDGE. They are focusing more on the western part of the state and will eventually upgrade northeast Mi but its going to be a while. They did announce at the end of last year that they will be investing something like 2 billion in Michigan the next couple of years. So that is a huge shot in the arm and lets hope this year they start kickin it!!

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

I hear ya @Lewyman....I know the big V has had great cell service here for awhile.  At least I'll be able to pull up a web page or a map on my phone without having to sit there and swear at the screen while it spins and loads.  Most of my Google searches are returned with "try again", and using apps like AtBat for baseball games, or Pandora for music....it simply won't work.  

Any upgrade will be a welcome one...

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Traveling to northern Mi tonight. Confirmed Verizon LTE on northbound M-33 at M-55. Possibly from West Branch.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

I was at G's Pizzeria in Prudenville/Houghton lake on Saturday night and overheard a woman complaining about her service. All I could catch was "AT&T's service isn't as good up here..." Looked at my phone, and there were 3 bars of EDGE. Not completely horrible, but not completely satisfactory, either.

I would assume that she lives somewhere in lower Michigan where the service is at least running on the 3G network.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Well Big Red has LTE service in Alpena and West Branch now and announced a few days ago that Skidway Lake, Rose City, and other areas will soon have 4G service. AT&T hasn't done anything since upgrading the Soo,along I-75 to the Big Mac, and the Gaylord areas last year. What in the world have they been doing?? Their retail stores have to be closing left and right in northern Mi. The one in Lewiston was an independent store and was telling people that there would be 3G up there by the end of 2008. Well that's what AT&T told them and it didn't happen and its a shame because they closed a few years ago.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

I hope Escanaba, MI gets 3G/4G soon. Verizon has had it for a while now. I got an email the other day from AT&T saying 4G is avavliable on my network but, it said 4G is now avavliable in Detroit but, I don't live in Detroit. lol I live in the Upper Peninsula. Just a few minutes ago I got a text message from AT&T telling me how to turn on 3G on my phone. So I dont know if that means 3G/4G is coming to Excanaba soon?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.