Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

11 years ago

They haven't invested in their network and backhaul in northern MI for the most part. Therefore, some areas are now 2 generations behind in cellular technology. Are you sure Alpena now has usable, active Verizon 4G LTE? I was just there a few days ago and did not see LTE on my iPhone 5. 

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

11 years ago

Verizon 4G LTE is online in the Alpena, MI area, which I have confirmed with a few people in the area. 

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Verizon LTE is live in Alpena? Are you guys serious??? Still waiting for AT&T LTE here in Romeo/Almont!!!! Coverage stops 8 miles south of me. Big Red LTE coverage has been here at my house and when it goes live in Gaylord/Lewiston I am switching.

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

11 years ago

Lol yes! Verizon LTE live at Alpena! I know it sounds far too good to be true, but believe it. It is there. Supposedly Rogers City is going live in a week or two. 

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

@Tpeltz
It isn't officially cool until you run a speedtest.

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

11 years ago

@Lewyman

LOL. I will be sure to run a few speed test when I go there and I'll post them on here.

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

In the Eastern UP, you can't run speedtests on AT&T.  The Edge data network is too slow to run the test.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Well I was down at Costco this evening in Shelby Township and AT&T's LTE was running pretty good. This is a screenshot saved on my Samsung GS3 and I was out of the LTE coverage area when I sent it.

Screenshot_2012-12-22-17-40-26.png

1 Attachment

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

Here is our horrbly slow speeds here in the Eastern UP.  As you can see, this has to be embarrasing for AT&T.

Basically everyone should forget about an AT&T smartphone living up here.

Speedtest.png

1 Attachment

Explorer

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I think I got you beat in Alpena

Randy

Test Date: Dec 24, 2012 11:48 PM
Connection Type: Cellular
Server: Mount Pleasant, MI
Download: 0.01 Mbps
Upload: 0.01 Mbps
Ping: 341 ms

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.