Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

12 years ago

No problem Mjrtom7. I couldn't stand paying for data service with AT&T that I couldn't even use. I was better off taking 30 dollars out of my wallet and burning it on the ground.

I was in Alpena this morning at the Verizon store and picked up a new 64GB iPhone 5. I asked about Verizon LTE in NE MI and they said the unofficial word is shortly after the new year begins, but said that the official word was "at the end of 2013", which is when Verizon has to have the entire country covered per the FCC. If I were you, I would send it back within your 14 day return period and head to your closest corporate Verizon store in the morning (if you go later in the afternoon, they'll probably be sold out). Granted, you won't have unlimited data anymore, but at least you will have 3G to use and 4G LTE in about 6 months. I don't have unlimited data with Verizon, but I do have unlimited minutes and text. I have 8GB of data per month and only have used 2GB at the most per month.

Good luck!

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

12 years ago

@Tpeltz

I really hope that your area gets LTE very soon.  I have been doing some reading and as we all know the AT&T/ T-Mobile deal fell through this past spring. However, there is talk of both companies pursuing a Network Sharing Agreement which would be an alternative to a purchase. If that were to happen, then AT&T would indeed have the spectrum it needs to deploy LTE throughout northern Michigan and other areas where they are short...as would T-Mobile. Entering into an LTE roaming agreement is a real possibility considering T-Mobile hasn't joined the LTE game yet and it would allow both companies to theoretically catch up to Verizon by the end of next year. Verizon does claim it will have LTE over it's existing 3G footprint by the end of 2013. However, I have not been able to find anything online stating that FCC is requiring LTE coverage in that timeframe.  The iphone5 is supposed to be awesome but be advised...with Verizon and Sprint's version you can't " talk and surf" at the same time...which is baffling to me!!

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks Lewyman...I had forgotten about the inability to surf and talk at the same time with Verizon....but since I can barely surf now as it is with ATT, I don't think I would miss that feature very much!  

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

12 years ago

I can't believe Apple wouldn't make that standard on the new LTE iphones. I know what you mean about horrible AT&T data speeds on EDGE. Here downstate their network is fast but at the cottage in Lewiston it is just horrible. I can't even send the lowest resolution picture in a text. Verizon 3G is pretty fast almost anywhere up there. Maybe consider keeping your AT&T plan with unlimited data for a while to see if they upgrade your area and maybe price a Verizon 3/4G hotspot with prepaid data. Just a suggestion.

[word filter avoidance]

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

12 years ago

For anyone in Northeast Michigan that wants to stick it out for a bit longer with AT&T, the link in this post might give you a ray of hope. AT&T has no doubt been very lax with a 3G buildout up there but now they are being forced into it sooner rather than later. They did state a month ago that by 2017, they will be eliminating their 2G EDGE network completely(YES!!!!) That means a complete rebuild of their 4G network and I think it will be MUCH sooner than in 5 years. Here is the link: http://gigaom.com/mobile/whats-att-planning-hidden-specs-unearthed-in-the-gsm-iphone-5/

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

12 years ago

That would be too good to be true Lewyman...but I think I'll tough it out for a few more months and see what happens.  It seems we have had several data outages in the past couple of days (maybe due to the iPhone 5 launch?) and maybe it's because they are working on the network...?  (It's almost as if I believe in Santa Claus once again...I'm so gullible!)

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

12 years ago

Just checked the AT&T coverage map which was updated this evening and there is indeed new 3G coverage in northwest Michigan. However,the 3G/HSPA+ in Gaylord is not on the map yet. So they are continuing to upgrade.

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

12 years ago

Well....the new iPhone has arrived...and it's really a neat little piece of hardware. Too bad the edge data connection is every bit as lousy as my old iPhone 4. I wish there was a petition somewhere that was circulating regarding this lack of service and allowing us to express our disappointment...

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

12 years ago

Express your disappointment by voting with your wallet.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

Hi there - we recently upgraded the network in the Detroit area to LTE and have improved the overall network in Northern Michigan. 

We cannot provide specific dates regarding network improvements.

I'm sorry you have not seen an improvement in your service. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.