Posted Aug 11, 2013
Sending Texts to a US number that is currently abroad in the UK

If my friend from the US is traveling to the UK for a week, does it cost me any extra money to receive and or send texts to her? She would be using a US number not an international one. Also, she has an international plan that includes texting, so her charges are covered. 

Sending Texts to a US number that is currently abroad in the UK

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 11, 2013
(0)

emmalu wrote:

If my friend from the US is traveling to the UK for a week, does it cost me any extra money to receive and or send texts to her? She would be using a US number not an international one. Also, she has an international plan that includes texting, so her charges are covered. 

For you it doesn't matter where she is, as long as you're sending the text to her US number you don't pay anything extra.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Sending Texts to a US number that is currently abroad in the UK

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 11, 2013
(0)
Thank you very much!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 12, 2013
(0)

You're welcome!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013
(0)

As for your friend, she would be charged to charged standard message rates. How much depends on a few scenarios:

If she has a domestic US message bundle, her received messages would be deducted from that. So if she had a 1000 message bundle, it would deduct one message from that for receiving messages. If she had unlimited, then it's unlimited received messages.

If she does not have a domestic messaging bundle, then it would cost her 20¢ to receive your message.

However any messages she would want to send to you, she would have to pay 50¢ for a SMS (text message) and $1.20 for MMS (picture/video message); the exception is if she opens up a messaging bundle. As I have seen your friend has a "international" messaging bundle, be sure it's the correct one. There is "International Messaging" with covers sending from the US to a foreign number only. There is "Global Messaging" which covers sending while roaming to any number; this package doesn't work when you're actually in the US.

If you guys want to avoid some charges, perhaps use a third party application or service, but be warned most of these use data. Using data over WiFi is usually free, otherwise AT&T offers a few international data add-on packages. If you both have iPhones, you could use iMessages over data (wifi or add-on package).

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: ACE is a forum title; I am not affiliated with AT&T]