Posted Jan 22, 2012
4:35:05 PM
Lack of service in Tawas City, MI (48763)i live i h for last 2 weeks

I have been having major issues in Tawas City, MI for the last 2 weeks. I have called in multiple times and just get tossed around and get credits issued. I want a answer. All 4 phones on my account have had lackluster service in this time. On my first call in the representative told me too get all need Sim Cards. I went to my local store. They informed me it was 20 dollars per replacement card. So I forked over 80 dollars and still had horrid signal. I then called in spent over 2 hours on the phone to only have a ticket issued. I was then texted 4 days later and told the issueue was resolved. Was Never given a reason why. So after I noticed calls were still dropping and data was non existent I called in again explained what had all transpired and was told I need to relax and let the techs do their work. Now I pay over 245 a month and I run a business and need my cell phone at all times. After judging said this the technical support representative transferred me to the cancelation department. I explained to that representative all that had happened. I was then told to stop being so persantant. I just want answers to when my service will be back to normal in my area and why they went out. I'm sick of being told different things by different levels of care.

Lack of service in Tawas City, MI (48763)i live i h for last 2 weeks

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 24, 2012 11:26:28 AM
(0)
Scholar

Is the problem in a specific area? Or does the problem occur in the city & some surrounding areas? If it only occurs in a specific location, then it's most likely a problem with just one cell site. But if it's occuring through a bigger area (multiple cells) then they might be preparing for 3G. 

I live up in Rogers City (49779). We had this problem last spring. The cell site that served downtown was acting weird. Dropping calls constantly. Signal was very bad & I didn't have data at all. I called and called (filed about 3-4 trouble tickets) and after about 2 weeks the problem was fixed. 

Re: Lack of service in Tawas City, MI (48763)i live i h for last 2 weeks

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 24, 2012 6:09:41 PM
(0)
Tutor
It is happening from Oscoda to just outside of Standish. I went to West Branch today and had OK signal. I'm hoping that 3G is coming soon. I cannot work with EDGE. I'm debating on going to Verizon because they are 3G here with 4G to be here by the end of 2012. It's a hard decision though.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 24, 2012 8:14:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

You replied on my post earlier which relates to yours. Anyways I totally agree with your initial post. When you have a complaint with ATT cell service it almost never seems to get resolved, while with my ATT Uverse subscription, if i have a problem a tech will be sent out to fix it in a matter of days.

Get with it ATT cellular! You guys are seriously falling behind in customer support and coverage!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 26, 2012 10:58:40 AM
(0)
Scholar

I had a chat with at&t CS today & they looked into the northeast area of Michigan for 3G deployment. Rogers City & Alpena are supposedly going to have 3G live by March 21st. Outlying areas of Rogers City, Alpena, & possibly Cheboygan will have active 3G by July 15th. 

That being said, I would assume at&t will have 3G active down there by the end of the year as well. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 26, 2012 1:16:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thankk you very much for the update. I am surly hoping something happpens.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 26, 2012 4:47:47 PM
(0)
Scholar
From what I've heard, it seems like AT&T is really going to kick things into high gear in all of the lower peninsula this year. I bet 95% of the remaining EDGE areas in the LP will be converted to 3G by November.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 1, 2012 1:19:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

any word on if Rogers City received 3G services back in March?  The coverage map still shows Edge data over that way.

I am awaiting 3G in my area (Cheboygan) before I make my decision to get a new AT&T phone (either the 2012 iPhone model, or a Samsung Galaxy Note and make the jump to Android for the fun of it) or make the switch to Verizon since I know they have had great 3G coverage for the past 2 years here in Cheboygan.  Sucks that it would have to be mid-July before I can make that decision, but then again, if Rogers City hasn't gotten 3G yet even though it was supposed to be in March, my hope for AT&T to be more communicative and timely is fading away.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 4, 2012 12:55:42 PM
(0)
Scholar
Rogers City is still EDGE-only. AT&T hasn't put up the new antennas on the new city water tower. I drove up to the base of the water tower today and AT&T at least has the perimeter of the cell equipment shelter staked out, so within a month they should start putting up the antennas.

Gaylord is getting 3G within the month for sure. Also to note, when AT&T upgrades places to 3G, service can get wonky. I have a feeling this is why there have been so many outages in northern MI in the past week. I'd stick with AT&T until November, if there isn't any 3G by then in Cheboygan or Rogers City I'd jump ship to Verizon. They will have LTE here by early spring.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 18, 2012 5:03:48 PM
(0)
Scholar

One thing is for sure. AT&T had better get off their {word filter evasion} because Verizon's Lte network is growing leaps and bounds everyday. To me AT&T should skip their HSPA+ upgrading and go straight to Lte. They can't say backhual is the problem because they share many of Frontier's (formerly Verizon) fiber lines throughout northern Michigan. We have a cabin in Lewiston and the AT&T tower there is behind Glenn's market and is lame. It looks more like a weather vane than anything else!!!! I am willing to bet that Alpena,Rogers City,Gaylord,Grayling,Tawas,Oscoda, and larger cities like these will have Verizon Lte before AT&T rolls out their HSPA+. My opinion is AT&T simply doesn't have the manpower to upgrade large areas plus maintain landlines downstate. Here in the Washington Twp/Romeo area Verizon Lte runs at a cool 15+ Mb/s down and 10 up:smileyhappy: One problem I see for both carriers up north is the towers are spread too far apart. If you are 3+ miles from a tower or have a lot of trees and hills the speeds will be significantly diminished.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 20, 2012 9:08:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

To be honest, all I want is wireless service that can handle at the very most 32Kilobytes per second (so i can listen to a 256kilobit per second internet radio station while i go shopping).  Thats only 1 quarter of a MegaBIT per second.  The EDGE network in Cheboygan is incapable of handling even 7 kilobytes per second (56 kilobit per second internet radio station).

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 21, 2012 6:29:12 PM
(0)
Scholar

Yeah its a bummer that AT&T won't invest in this area. Most areas in northeast lower MI and easte lower MI will be lucky to get 3G this year from what the AT&T Office of The President. Verizon will have 4G LTE here by the end of December according to their Executive Customer Service. By "here" I mean almost all of northern Michigan. There are really pushing hard to get it done. 

Verizon already has run backhaul to support LTE in most areas. In Rogers City, they ran fiber (via Charter) directly to their new monopole cell site, which has LTE panels on it (not active yet). They also put in a new microwave IP-based backhaul system on the tower that is 6 miles to the west of Rogers City to support LTE, but they haven't upgraded those panels yet. But I'm sure they will in the next 3 months. 

Anyone who lives in eastern lower MI or in the U.P should just switch to Verizon. I did last week and now get 1.5 - 2.2 Mbps on the download and .8 Mbps on the upload. It's like a new world when using my iPhone. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 17, 2012 12:43:21 PM
(0)
Voyager

I have been having the same problems as all of you and it has been getting worse over the last few months. I am a seasonal visitor to the area so my problems are not as permanent as yours. However, I took the time on Monday to call AT&T and discuss the issue and this is what we determined.

1. Data should never have worked for me because there is no coverage in our area. WRONG, it has been working some how (partner agreements?) so my reply was to figure out what changed and please fix it.
  2. The representative determined that the area may qualifiy for expansion under the Universal Service Fund. This is the fund that we ALL pay into every month to provide low-cost access to rural areas. A request has been entered to try and get this going.

THIS IS WHERE ALL OF YOU CAN HELP!

1. Get on the phone with AT&T and request assistance for your poor/nonexistant data connectivity.
  2. Request that a "Service Extension Request" be filed in response to your issue. If there are enough requests to justify expansion in the area, AT&T can upgrade our area with the assistance of money from the Universal Service Fund which we pay into.

In addition, AT&T has an app called "Mark the Spot". It is a diagnostic application that makes it easy to submit problem reports for dropped calls, slow data, no data, etc. I have been submitting trouble reports and will continue as often as necessary until it provides some relief. The app will also provide directions to the nearest AT&T Wifi location near you.

The Official Story on AT&T Mark the Spot

http://www.research.att.com/articles/featured_stories/2010_09/201009_MTS.html?fbid=kfAa5MgK1KW

Apple

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/at-t-mark-the-spot/id338307313?mt=8

Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.att.android.markthespot&hl=en

Blackberry

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/18791

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2013 7:38:05 PM
(0)
Scholar
Verizon LTE is live in Alpena and West Branch MI.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 19, 2013 11:40:21 AM
(0)
Voyager

ATT still only has 2G edge in Tawas area where Verizon has 4G LTE launched. I just recently droppwd ATT and went to VZW. It is astonshing that ATT is allowed to charge the same exact price as Verizon and have service that is so underdeveloped. Its sad that ATT lacks vested interest in the area and still refuses to work with customers on ETF's when they cannot provide reputable service. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 23, 2013 3:15:39 PM
(0)
Scholar
Tawas City and Oscoda should be getting 3G/HSPA+ anytime now.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 13, 2013 9:34:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

It is happening from Oscoda to only outside of Standish. I visited West Branch these days and had OK signal. i am hoping that 3G is returning presently. I cannot work with EDGE. i am debating on about to Verizon as a result of they're 3G here with 4G to be here by the tip of 2012. it is a exhausting call tho'.