For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
rlr402's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Saturday, March 15th, 2014 12:17 AM

how do I change ISP's and keep my old bellsouth.net email address?

I know this has been asked before and i've looked up some of the answers but it seems the answers change over time. Next week I will start a new service for internet and tv from comcast. The tv isn't an issue but keeping my old BellSouth email address is a must. Can someone tell me what needs to be done before to keep it I discontinue service here. Thanks in advance. Bob

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

rlr402 - Why not invest 20 minutes in some insurance -
Open a gmail account or any non-ISP free e-mail.
From g-mail download all your bellsouth stuff.
In the bellsouth account set it to forward new mail to the gmail account.
Live ISP independent

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

thanks, I do have the gmail account already set up so that wouldn?t be a problem. It worrys me that you think I need insurance. LOL ? Does this fail a lot. I?ve had the email address for 20 years and everyone has it. I?m more worried about losing the email address than I am with what?s in it. I copy files into folders that are important so that?s not my main concern. Keeping the email is my objective.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I set up email forwarding on my yahoo bellsouth.net email. I also set up a sub account on my gmail.com account for the same bellsouth.net email address. Doe's this mean I am bullet proof?? Smiley Wink

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

rlr402 - No, if it is turned off you will stop getting any messages forwarded to it. I My recommend of the gmail was primarily to not lose any of your history. But, you say that is not an issue.

Is there a subject that it would make sense for you to broadcast your gmail to your contact list?? At least they would all have your latest address. Maybe that is the subject - just let them know you are now using that account.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks. I thought you told me to forward the bellsouth account to the gmail account so I did that. I don't really use the gmail account but I thought I could set up a sub account in gmail for the bellsouth account. Before gmail accepted the bellsouth account it sent out a test email to the bellsouth account for me to confirm and then afterwards it accepted the bellsouth email account. The gmail account will let me send mail from both address' so I thought I had this fixed. 

What else do I need to do? Thanks in advance. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

@aviewer wrote:
rlr402 - No, if it is turned off you will stop getting any messages forwarded to it. I My recommend of the gmail was primarily to not lose any of your history. But, you say that is not an issue.

Is there a subject that it would make sense for you to broadcast your gmail to your contact list?? At least they would all have your latest address. Maybe that is the subject - just let them know you are now using that account.

Thanks. I thought you told me to forward the bellsouth account to the gmail account so I did that. I don't really use the gmail account but I thought I could set up a sub account in gmail for the bellsouth account. Before gmail accepted the bellsouth account it sent out a test email to the bellsouth account for me to confirm and then afterwards it accepted the bellsouth email account. The gmail account will let me send mail from both address' so I thought I had this fixed. 

What else do I need to do? Thanks in advance. 

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

rlr402 - Yes, You have a good setup to handle your e-mail in a transition environment. It will work as long as the old account is not turned off. If that is turned off you will not continue to receive forwarded e-mail.

I thought the primary reason people do not want to lose the old one is they have historical messages and an address book. I believe you have saved both of those.

The remaining two items are - your e-mail address is embedded in your contacts. I say two because there are casual contacts that have address books and business contacts where you use the e-mail as your ID. You can always wait to change these until you have to. Or, you can take action while you still have options.

The objective is to position yourself so that you do not have to do this again. Of course, if Google decides to start charging it may be necessary to change.

To answer your - What else do I need to do? - I think all that is left is getting the change out to those other places. You can either do it now or do it later. Or, some now and some later.

At least you have your history and address book backed up. You may want to put some or all of that on another e-mail provider & update it from time to time. (belt and suspenders)

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

@rlr402 wrote:

I know this has been asked before and i've looked up some of the answers but it seems the answers change over time. Next week I will start a new service for internet and tv from comcast. The tv isn't an issue but keeping my old BellSouth email address is a must. Can someone tell me what needs to be done before to keep it I discontinue service here. Thanks in advance. Bob

ATT has stated that even after ending service, email addresses will still be active for life (or when they decide to chage that).  Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I too am also changing my IP from Uverse to Comcast this week. I have a bellsouth.net email. I currently view my emails on yahoo.com and I have my address book there and my folders. I can access all of this from any computer. Will I be able to view and search my email history on yahoo when I switch to Uverse? Will my address book and folders still be accessible to me? I am of the understanding that I can keep my bellsouth.net email indefinitely, but don't know if the address book and folders and history will still be there.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Hey.... I was just wondering what DID happen after you changed isp? We are thinking about changing but my husband has had his email address for 20+ years too. Thanks!!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.