Posted Nov 13, 2013
Volume Fluctuations with Wireless Receiver

I received a new wireless cable box today and installed it. Everything went fine. Like my other 2 tv's I set the AT&T remote to control my TV power and volume so I don't have to use 2 remotes. This set up process went smoothly until the volume no matter the channel, the show, the commercial, etc just yo-yo's up and down over and over. So I clear it back to factory settings using "900" and go back to using the TV remote to control TV volume and power. This solves the volume fluctuations. This is a small tv for the kitchen so the set up is very straighforward. There are no amps, etc. This is extremely annoying and from I read is a common issue yet I have not seen a fix. Can anyone help? Thanks. 

Volume Fluctuations with Wireless Receiver

4 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
Replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 13, 2013
(0)
brrrianbkw2010 - Do I understand correctly? - The volume varies while watching & it happens only when the U-verse remote is programmed to control the TV volume.

I cannot see any relationship between the remote & the sound variation. There are two things you can check -

Since the remote is now controlling the STB volume when in the att mode - click the STB volume up all the way to 25. This is in case the volume is so low the TV cannot handle it.

There is a setting in some TVs supposedly to even out the sound level between commercials and programming. You can try adjusting that. You should change it from what it is set. Some people find it does work. I find an off center value produces strange sound - like increasing the background over the conversation.

I do not believe it is the remote because IR is IR. The TV cannot tell which remote is controlling it. MAybe you can say more about the situation that might trigger another thought. How is the STB connected to the TV?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Volume Fluctuations with Wireless Receiver

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 14, 2013
(0)

HDMI connection. I will disable the auto leveling and let you know.
Thanks.
Brian {Personal content removed for your safety}

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 14, 2013
(0)

brrrianbkw2010 - Another possibility with HDMI would be surround sound. Most TVs do not support surround sound, resulting in no sound. But, some do. If the STB is set to surround & the TV can process it, there could be two undesirable results - strange effects as a I described on the volume smoothing and/or producing louder stereo on advertisements.

Make sure STB is set to stereo.

I seem to notice that many ads have superior video to programming. Maybe they are getting in to surround & causing strange imaging,

Another good trouble shooting technique is to swap with STB/TV that works. TRy the STb on the other TV and the kitchen TV on the other STB.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 14, 2013
(0)

Hello brrrianbkw2010,

I'm sorry about the difficulties you are having with your new receiver. Since you mention the sound is fluctuating regardless of channel or programming I would like to reset your volume remotely. It is unclear how resetting the remote control stopped the fluctuating sound, but if you also experience this after moving the STB to a different TV location and trying the other reccomendationsACE - Master suggested, it is possible your TV receiver is defective. I have sent you a private message to identify the receiver in our systems and continue assisting you.

SadathCS
ATTU-verseCare

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.