Posted Mar 24, 2014
6:03:27 PM
dsl works but no dial tone for telephone

Hi all!

I know that no one will read this and this will do me not one bit of good but I need to explain to myself the how's and why's of my frustration.

I do understand how a giant company like at&t can forgo caring about the little fish and the old technology when the real money is made else where.  Some of the people in this world are crashing over a cliff and rushing into dependence on their smart phones to do most of their thinking for them.

'So far so good' the big bad company chuckles to it'self as it rubs it's hands together over and over with a demented gleam in it's eye's, drool oozing out it's grinning mouth.  'Soon all these fools will be unable to think without me!'

Already I have met their answer for customer service.  The computer generated voice telling to pick and choose from a list that will do me no good because I am probably in the wrong section or list for which my problem has no home.  The disembodied voice tells me I am not speaking clearly or that "I" must punch in something I have no idea what they want.

Did you guess?  I am old.  I am not of this new generation.

The sick and twisted minds that assume I know anything are wrong.

Can't tell them that.

I had dial tone.  Now I don't.  There is no responsibility.  No help.  No help...

When finally I do get to talk to a human being there again is no hope.  I can make an appointment for next week and is there another number they can reach me at when they want to tell me what I did wrong?

Did one of their worker bee's unplug me by mistake?  Over there at that huge box with thirteen thousand wires in it.  Is the tree tearing my wire from the house?  Can they suggest some tips for checking my phones and wires?

No one cares.

I pay over one hundred fifty for phone, computer and tv.

Think I can't pay someone else for the same thing.

Good luck.

'They are the same'.  Different name, different problems.

Can I do without?  You betcha!

Waaaaaaaa!

Sure must be rough being me.  Remember- the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

I don't need oil.  I still have DSL.  I can reach out and touch people.  Won't help me with the phone problem but I guess if the house catches on fire and I explain why I could not call for help then the lawyers will come a runnin and explain what I should have done.

Now I have the attention.  Now the money is questioned.  Alert alert!

I can't have my way and the big bad phone company won't hire enough people because the profits will not increase.  The poor person who does come out will do the best he can but anything that will cost money will have to be approved by someone who counts the pennies and has to answer to the shareholders.

See?  I get frustrated but this problem is not new.  Even when I was a kid this was a common source of frustration.  Has been forever.  Will be.

Have a great life and enjoy the little things.  Don't sweat the little things.  Everything is little.

I am little.

dsl works but no dial tone for telephone

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 9:54:39 PM
(0)
Employee
You have phone, internet, TV....all on U-verse?

If so have either a 3800, 3801 or 589 RG? Or have an i38hg (indoor unit) for internet connection.?

Have Voip not POTS line?, yes....is line1 light on at the RG front panel?
If yes plug phone directly into back of phone port on 3800,3801.589 RGs, have dial tone?
If yes on dial tone, issue is with inside wiring/jacks or bad phone bringing down circuit (billable)

If no, have POTS light on phone, bad RG?
If no, light not on phone1 , ATA enable by tech support, call or chat for this "ATA ENABLE"
If not working after, replace RG.

If have POTS (line feed from CO, receive a separate bill for telephone) line instead of VOIP (which is provided by RG with phone billing on Uverse bill) then need to call for outside line repair, not handled by Uverse tech.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: dsl works but no dial tone for telephone

2 of 6 (1,514 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2014 2:07:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hi!

Thank you for your concern.

I have no idea what you are talking about.  I have a phone line coming into my house that is not working.

I made an appoitment for a 'person' to come out and look at my phone line to help me.

A person did not, has not come out to help me.

You questions about if I have this, that and the other things was not helpful.  I am not a phone equipment master.

Having a POTS and replacing my RG must be your way of intimidating me into Voip 3800, 3801 or 589 RG.

Thus I can only estimate you are not certain of what you are speaking about.

Speak English when talking to normal people and using gibberish makes me assume.

Give me a local number of the location where the worker bee's are staged so I can ask if a tech will be out today or if there is a problem.

I understand there being problems.  I deal with problems everyday.  I get satisfaction from solving others problems and resolving the situation.

Sometimes even I cannot solve the problem.  I then ask for help and keep working at solving the problem even though there is little I can do personally.

I am not perfect.

I do not expect anyone to be perfect.  I can only trust people will try to be of some help when that is what they get paid to do.

Thank you again for answering my concerns.

3 of 6 (1,395 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2014 8:15:28 PM
(0)
Employee
My original post concerned assistance on Uverse account which evidently you do not have.

There are no local numbers.... https://www.att.com/econtactus/callUs.jsp
Under PHONE service, AT&T Home Phone Service, Repair &Technical Support 1-800-246-8464
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 6 (1,355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2014 9:05:24 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by Constructive on Apr 10, 2014 at 9:06:50 AM

What my_thoughts was trying to determine is if you indeed did have pots (Plain old Telephone Service) or uverse Voip (Voice Over IP). So let me try to break it down in as you say normal people speak

RG= Redidential gateway (Fancy Modem)

Line 1 on RG= Green light on the front of the gateway, when lit it means your VOIP line is active,flashing means your in a call.When lit solid and no dial tone means theres an open line (Phone of hook or inside wire short)

Line 2= See line 1

Its obvious with your response ("Having a POTS and replacing my RG must be your way of intimidating me into Voip") that you do indeed have pots.

And now i will give you the quickest and simplest way to determine where the issue is and whether or not its billable. all you need is a flathead screwdriver and a telephone to take outside (corded phone not needing power)

On the side of the house where the services come in you will see a NID (Network Interface Device). this is the small grey 6X8 box on the side of the house.

there are 2 screws, one is a security screw for the telephone company to access the left side of the NID and a flathead screw for customer access

unscew the flathead and open up the door, inside you will see a telephone jack with a short telephone wire conncted to it, unplud that short jumper and plug in your telephone

DIAL TONE= the problem is in your house and is a billable dispatch

NO DIAL TONE= the problem is on the at&t side and is a non billable dispatch.

Hope this helps and seems like a lot but when you actually get to it it is only a 3 minute task .

Oh and 1 more thing please make sure when you call in that you specify its pots service otherwise they will dispatch a premise tech and this will only delay you further.

[ Edited ]
5 of 6 (1,016 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2014 12:49:45 PM
(0)
Employee

Let me also add that if you have the inside wire plan which i beleive is 7 or 10 dollars a month then there will be no billable work. 

6 of 6 (986 Views)