Posted Sep 18, 2013
Internet access is lost when a wireless device is connected

I have a 2wire 2701HG-B, which has been working great.  I have good wired connections.  A few days ago, whenever I connect my laptop wirelessly, or another desktop with a wireless card, the 2wire flashes, disconnects, and acts like it reboots.  Last year I had modem problems which turned out to be the power adapter.  I bought a new router/modem with the power adapter.  So now I have two.  I reconfigured my old one and it does the same thing.  That is, it works great wired until I connect something wireless, then it loses all connections. 

Two bad modem/routers is a stretch, I think.  Any suggestions, anyone?          Thanks

Internet access is lost when a wireless device is connected

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 20, 2013
(0)

Jhaselu wrote:

I have a 2wire 2701HG-B, which has been working great.  I have good wired connections.  A few days ago, whenever I connect my laptop wirelessly, or another desktop with a wireless card, the 2wire flashes, disconnects, and acts like it reboots.  Last year I had modem problems which turned out to be the power adapter.  I bought a new router/modem with the power adapter.  So now I have two.  I reconfigured my old one and it does the same thing.  That is, it works great wired until I connect something wireless, then it loses all connections. 

Two bad modem/routers is a stretch, I think.  Any suggestions, anyone?          Thanks

Could be the power supplies were underated (or borderline) and prolonged maximum use on the power supply causes premature failure. There are others having the exact same problem with the same modem/gateway.

You might try going to a Radio Shack and getting a replacement power supply check your existing power supply for it's output ratings. It'll probably be something like 12 volts DC at 1 - 1.5 Amps (or 1000 - 1500 mA). Get a replacement that wil provide at least a half Amp more current that the original.

If the new power supply does not solve the problem, you can return the power supply and then order a new modem/gateway.

You might want to look at the Pace 4111N which in my opnion is far better than the 2701. ( http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2020062&q_sku=sku5520238&q_manufactu... )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Internet access is lost when a wireless device is connected

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2013
(0)

Thanks a big bunch.  It is a 5.1v power supply, so I hooked that lead from an old desktop ps and it's working like it should.  Maybe a few others can benefit from the info.  Thanks again, J.

Re: Internet access is lost when a wireless device is connected