Posted Jun 24, 2014
12:01:51 PM
Early Termination Fee is unfair

I am being charged $720 plus tax for an early termination incurred because I went two weeks into a 12-month auto-renewal contract.

1.  I didn't know I was on auto-renewal.

2.  I never signed a contract and don't recall a verbal agreement when I started this service about 2 years ago.

3.  I still have AT&T services at home and at work.  I only terminated the phone service at my office because I was offered a much cheaper price.

4.  I feel I was not given sufficient warning about the massive cost I would incur for 2 weeks. (Why isn't there a grace period?).

5.  Every person I talked to at AT&T told me they sympathized with my problem and felt it wasn't the right thing to do to me.

6.  I have had AT&T services for years and years.  Why would you treat a long-term customer like this?

7.  The lady from AT&T who submitted my dispute said I have no recourse but to pay the bill.

Please HELP,

Frustrated

Early Termination Fee is unfair

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(2)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 25, 2014 9:41:00 AM
(1)
Employee
You entered into a small business agreement with different terms of service compared to residential agreement.

Some highlights include AUTO renewal until cancel.
Grace period is 15 days prior to renewal date.
once renew date... new auto contract...ETF applies for 350 days.

Activation of service and continued use during past 2 years was your acceptance of the terms...

In your home... same applies.... http://www.att.com/u-verse/att-terms-of-service.jsp
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Early Termination Fee is unfair

2 of 3 (346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 14, 2014 6:06:23 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have a similar experience.

I've been with AT&T loyally for over 4 years. I went to straighttalk last month with plans on returning to AT&T in the fall for another contract when a phone I'm waiting on comes out. My contract was up on June 1st, and I was instucted by a representative that I need to switch my SIM card to ensure my phone is compatible with straighttalk. I switched my SIM card on May 28th (2 days before my contract was up). I called AT&T on June 1st to make sure I was not automatically renewed and to close my account, and they said I actually have an ETF from switching my SIM card; two days prior to my contract end date! The lady on the phone actually helped, had to go to her manager, but said that my ETF was taken care of and I wouldn't get a bill. I expressed my concern of still getting a bill, and she ensured me otherwise.

Sure enough I received a bill on June 11th with an ETF, a pro-rated fee of some sort (5 customer service representatives couldn't explain it to me), and a $5 late fee. ? The bill is due on June 18th. Four representatives over the phone only told me the fees were "valid" and I conveniently got disconnected, so I went to our local AT&T store. There I was told that there is a message in my account that my questions were answered about an ETF over the phone, nothing about it being "taken care of." These random fees, and the '2 days short of a 2-year contract fee' has to be paid now. Hopefully, I don't get another random bill, because no AT&T representative cares to help.

Needless to say, I do not plan on being a returning customer.

Good luck with your issue. Hopefully it works out better then my experience.

Re: Early Termination Fee is unfair

3 of 3 (259 Views)