Posted Oct 24, 2012
Disgusting but True! Know who you are doing business with!

On May 12, 2010 I cancelled my land line  telephone service with AT&T. I received a closing bill for approximately $82.00. Sent AT&T 42.00 and the following month sent the remaining $40.00 Whereupon I received a check from AT&T for $40.00 stating that I had NO remaining balance. Thought there was an error, so sent it back. Received a SECOND check stating the same which I then cashed and assumed there had been an error at AT&T and if they say I owe nothing, then I take their word for it. Four months ago I am doing business with my bank when I discover that there is  a posting from a collection agency for the above $40 balance due. Horrified! I immediately contact the agency and am informed that the balance became past due on JULY 20, 2012!  I pay the collection agency and am told it will take 30 to 60 days to remove the item from my credit report. That was on August 13, 2012 and confirmed by my bank. Doing business with my bank again a credit check shows this item STILL on my report and being the only negative on my report, now causes me to lose a line of credit.

Wjhen I then call the collection agency asking why this has not been removed, I am told that they cannot remove posted collections on your credit report. I then contact AT&T who confirms that their records show my account closed with no balance due. Apparently they have received the money I paid to the Collection Agency. Seeking relief from AT&T in the form of THEIR "Removing" this item from my report, I meet with resistance. When I request if their records indicate that they sent me a check for the outstanding amount.........I am told there is no record of the check having been sent to this account. I then ask them to please check their records as there will be record of a check sent to me in the amount involved during the period in question. To my amazement I am told by a Manager Mr. Subtle (That's his real name.) that I MUST SEND THEM A COPY OF THE CHECK WHICH THEY SENT ME (WHICH I CASHED TWO YEARS AGO.  WHY ON EARTH WOULD AT&T BE SENDING ME A CHECK FOR THE AMOUNT IN QUESTIONS IF THERE HAD NOT BEEN AN ERROR ON THEIR PART RELATED SPECIFICALLY TO THE AMOUNT IN QUESTION?

I Next asked "Am I to understand that AT&T sends out checks and keeps no records of having done so? This was disregarded and the demand repeated. My next move will be to ask my bank to search for record of the check. Then I will contact Randall L. Stephenson the CEO of AT&T and find out why through no fault or knowing failure on my part, I now have a negative item on my credit report WHICH SHOULD NEVER HAVE GONE TO COLLECTIONS IN THE FIRST PLACE! And why AT&T shows no record of the sent check and most important, why AT&T wants me to do their footwork?  This entire episode has been devastating as it has been directly responsible for the aforementioned Lind of Credit Loss at my bank. It is grossly unjust and unfair and I would have thought that AT&T would have been keen to do all that they could to help resolve the matter and see the right thing done and remove it. Instead I must now begin a needless  fight for justice but one which I must and will fight to the end. I will take them to court if I have to! The damage is REAL!

The AT&T I grew up knowing was a respected major player. I am a senior now and the present incarnation has shown themselves to be very unsupportive and disgustingly dismissive and arrogant about a situation in which someone obviously made an error on their end which they apparently think they can just ignore leaving me to suffer the consequences. I DON'T THINK SO!

Disgusting but True! Know who you are doing business with!

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 25, 2012
(0)

Sorry to hear of your difficulties.

You can send a private message to the escalation team at ATT Customer Care and someone will get in touch with you within a couple days to help you get a resolution to your problems. To check for their reply, click the little blue envelope. List Private Messages

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Disgusting but True! Know who you are doing business with!