Posted Apr 11, 2012
3:04:49 PM
View profile
ATT email - recurrent connection problems with 3rd party clients

Well, maybe someone on ConnecTech can help all of the many unhappy AT&T internet customers using computers (Apple and Windows based) who use 3rd party email clients (like Eudora, Applemail, MS Outlook, etc.) and experience frequently long periods of email logon failures, with the symptom being the ATT email server doesn't recognize the user's logon credentials.

The help forums are full of ATT internet customers, like me, who experience this recurrent and nagging problem, and which the ATT customer service desk cannot help other than walk us problem email customers through the exact same steps found on the ATT.com email client setup instructions. This problem has been going on since about April 2011 without relief. The ATT customer service reps always tell us that the problem is in our Microsoft, or Apple, or brand X email client which is ridiculous.

Many of these upset ATT internet customers are, in fact, expert information technology professionals themselves, as am I. Some have leveraged the IT teams at their own places of employment along with Microsoft technicians to investigate why ATT email suddenly rejects connections from Outlook email clients that once had worked flawlessly for weeks. These investigations consistently point back to the ATT email server probably timing out due to trying to handle more email connections than the servers are scaled to handle.

Does ATT have a plan to increase their ATT email server capacity to serve the numbers of customers to whom ATT has sold their internet ISP services?

Thanks for your attention....RFK1381

ATT High Speed Internet DSL Pro

MS Outlook 2010 email client.

ATT email - recurrent connection problems with 3rd party clients

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2012 6:48:21 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have been struggling with this also for the past three days.  It was on and then it was off, and then back on and then off.  When I called AT&T, I knew exactly what they were going to say that it was my Outlook and not their problem.  But that is FALSE. 

There are reports all over the internet in many forums that people are not getting this issue resolved by AT&T.  It is NOT OUR OUTLOOK people.  If it was then my other emails from my two other email accounts would not be downloading to outlook which they currently are. 

Only my att.yahoo email is not downloading.  The error message is continually that YOUR SERVER HAS REJECTED YOUR LOGIN.  That means my server, that means AT&T.  There must be someone at AT&T who knows how to fix this issue! 

We need our OUTLOOK working, fix it already!

Re: ATT email - recurrent connection problems with 3rd party clients

2 of 17 (5,286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 5:33:48 AM
(0)
Tutor

Welcome to our club of frustration!  After monitoring all of these complaints, it appears that ATT believes that charging you an additional $15 per month for the Connecct Tech Support Service will fix the problem.

That would be a good solution if the people at connect tech actually  knew what they were doing.

I've said it before, this is no different than extortion.

ATT appears to be encouraging us that use multiple mail services to leave, and they are simply adding additonal revenue to our exit process.

If you are unfortunate like me and get into the $15 per month service fee trap, good luck getting any type of confirmation when you have cancelled this service.  I'm still waiting.

Ken.

3 of 17 (5,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 6:25:33 AM
(0)

Hi,

I want to apologize to everyone that has responded for your frustration. I would like you to use the following server address's instead of the ones you're currently using and please let me know if this helps:

pop: pop.att.yahoo.com

smtp: smtp.att.yahoo.com

Same port numbers and yes SSL needs to be selected. Let me know if you are having the same issues with these servers.

Thank you,

JustinF

___

I am an AT&T ConnecTech employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

I'm here to help with any technical issues you may have but if you need advanced ConnecTech support over the phone, please visit the
ConnecTech website or call 1-800-344-1734 (Phone support is available 8 am – 11 pm Central Time, 7 days a week)

4 of 17 (5,255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 9:02:54 AM
(0)
Teacher

Have you seen posts by John-M? perhaps he posts incorrectly. No help offered on his posts.

John_M

5 of 17 (5,254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 10:39:32 AM
(0)
Tutor
Hi JustinF

Thanks for responding and your suggestion. I think I may have stumbled slightly onto a clunky but stable configuration but only a few days or so may show this to be so.

I have tried many times,I guess maybe 20 or more, various combinations of all these steps:

1) worked with AT&T internet customer service tech support.
2) change my AT&T email password on att.yahoo.com/mail.
3) use the "repair" installation option for MS Outlook 2010 software.
4) uninstall and clean re-install of MS Outlook 2010 software
5) verified registry options for MS Outlook.
6) executed registry repair utility to check for registry errors.
7) verified tcp/ip parameters.
8) tested ping times to AT&T email servers.
9) deleted and added my AT&T email account in Outlook client with correct port #s and security options selected.
10) changed POP server IP addr back and forth between "inbound.att.net" and "pop.att.yahoo.com".
11) changed SMTP server IP addr back and forth between between "outbound.att.net" and "SMTP.att.yahoo.com".
12) Extended email server connection timeout setting up to 10.0 minutes.

As a former Microsoft certified system engineer, I ran out things I could do at home without dragging my equipment to a communications lab.

So the clunky arrangement that seems to be holding for 36 hours so far is this:

A) Set up Outlook client with these settings for my AT&T email account
pop.att.yahoo.com = POP IP addr
smtp.att.yahoo.com = SMTP IP addr
max server timeout setting = 10.0 minutes

B) First, open the MS Internet Explorer browser and log on email account at "att.yahoo.com/mail" (Firefox or Google Internet browser don't seem to work as well). Keep this browser window open and remain logged on internet browser email.

C) Second, open Outlook client and use Outlook for email, calendar and synching my AT&T iPhone via iTunes.

D) I minimize browser window for convenience. Don't close the Internet Explorer window connected to my AT&T email until powering down.

With this cobbled-up approach AT&T email servers don't seem to reject my log-on credentials using the Outlook client. Ugh. Not pretty.

Funny how my Outlook worked flawlessly with AT&T for more than a year before AT&T servers began rejecting my email credentials about a month ago.

I'll post results tomorrow if this remains stable.

Thanks...

6 of 17 (5,250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 11:26:57 AM
(0)
Tutor
JustinF

Yes - to answer you direct question - my experience is the "xxxx.att.yahoo.com" server addresses are much more reliable than the "xxxbound.att.net" servers.

AT&T internet customer service reps always want me to use the newer "inbound/outboun"d servers but these only seem to stay connected for a very short time if I could get Outlook client to be recognized by the email server by doing something like changing my AT&T email password then felting and re-adding the AT&T account credentials in Outlook.

Hope this info helps if anyone is researching this.

My uninformed opinion is still that the servers handling log-on credentials may be undersized for the customer client peak loads, or as a long shot, maybe the pipe bandwidth allocation is too narrow - but I'd be surprised because its AT&T, after all.

Have a great day!

7 of 17 (5,246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2012 7:27:50 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having the same problems only it's not through Outlook. For me it is receiving email on my cell phone. I can receive fine on my PC but the same account will just stop working on my cell phone. What I found was if I go to the att.mail home page, sign out and then sign back in it will start working on my cell. If I try to sign out on my mail page it won't work, have to go to their "home page". Did not have this problem until I switched to U-Verse. I believe that is where the problem lies but when I talk to the support people they just refuse to go there. I'm about ready to drop U-Verse.

8 of 17 (5,229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2012 8:09:36 AM
(0)
Tutor
JustinF

The system has been more stable for the past 2 days. The pop/smtp.att.yaoo.com server addresses are certainly much more reliable than the newer in/outbound.att.net server addresses.

Yesterday I stopped using the simultaneous connection to the webmail client via internet browser logging out of my AT&T webmail account. Since yesterday have been using only the Outlook client to connect to my AT&T email account and it is working well.

Since I really haven't done anything much on my client side, i wonder what may have changed on the AT&T side to stabilize the connection so that the AT&T mail servers now recognize my email credentials.

Thanks

9 of 17 (5,224 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2012 7:00:33 AM
(0)

Hi,

I am very glad to hear that the servers I provided are so far not having the same issues. I am still working closely with the Yahoo team and this issue has been escalated. I will provide more information at a later time but for now please use the servers I provided and it should function properly.

Thanks,

JustinF

___

I am an AT&T ConnecTech employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

I'm here to help with any technical issues you may have but if you need advanced ConnecTech support over the phone, please visit the
ConnecTech website or call 1-800-344-1734 (Phone support is available 8 am – 11 pm Central Time, 7 days a week)

10 of 17 (5,207 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2012 2:04:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

Both my computer and iPhone began having this problem a few days ago. I finally got the iPhone back up & working but Outlook will not work.

I have used the settings you include as well as a few HUNDRED other options mentioned by forum users. A few weeks ago this happened & I removed the AST&T account from Outlook and added it back- this worked until a few days ago. After nothing else worked, I finally removed rthe account and tried to add it back. Now I cannot add it back because outlook tries to connect during the add in,and the AT&T server will not validate the address, so now I cannot add the account back onto Outlook.

This is obviously an AT&T program, everyone nows it including AT&T .. They need to get off their lying soapbox and correct the problem. I really screwed up responding to thier "Bundling Offer". I used Earthlink for 15 years with NEVER a problem.

I signed up for the Bundle, they have never included Direct Tv as was offered, the home landline was screwed up for two weeks, I haver never been able to sign into the AT&T Website to manage my account (I can sign onto the webmail which works), and now the Email is no good..

Guess I was suckered big time

I cannot even setup the account now 

AT&T get off ur tails and fix this NOW !!

11 of 17 (5,110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2012 12:04:57 PM
(0)

Hi everyone,

Please use the following link and follow the steps provided: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB412255&title=Error+553%3A+verify+your+email+address#fb...

You may not be getting this error message but it has been shown to work as a solution to your issue. Please let me know if this helps.

Thank you,

JustinF

___

12 of 17 (5,074 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2012 12:24:13 PM
(0)
Contributor
I tried this but when I tried to save changes I got an error message that says: "Please make sure you have entered your email address correctly" It won't let me save it. I can receive messages but cannot send messages.

13 of 17 (4,669 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2012 2:40:08 PM
(0)
Contributor
This worked when I tried it again!

Thank you!

14 of 17 (4,663 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2012 8:55:21 AM
(0)
Contributor

Justin,

I followed the recommendation to switch to the inbound/outbound POP3 email servers, only to find out the much of the functionality of my email was crippled. I have been using the IMAP servers, which supported sub-folders, and I even added the ATT-recommended 'OtherInBox' folders for managing my mail.

Upon switching to the POP3 server, all of the sorted and saved mail was lost.  I had to re-configure ALL of my mail apps (running on an Android phone, an iPad, and my MacBook) and was able to retrieve my mail, luckily.

Unfortunately, what I am left with is a finicky (sp?) mail server at ATT that has occasional moments, hours, or days when I flat-out cannot retrieve email.  WHICH gets back to the original question:  CAN ATT please improve the reilability, capacity, or uptime of the IMAP servers?  IS there a plan to eliminate the nagging, intermittent email connection problems?

Thanks,
Gary

15 of 17 (4,565 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2012 3:58:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have been AT&T customer since they ruined a great support by buying Bellsouth and Cingular. I have been using the Outlook forever. Now I have all the problems that you listed here. I also get the same ignorant responses from the No-Help Desk. I was referred to Connectech who set up the email with inbound/outbound. Again it did not work so he told me that it was a server problem that would be working in 24 hours and to call back if it is not working. I came back and they refuse to speak with me without a subscription. I went to help desk and they feigned a long conversation with Yahoo who is "resetting the 6 servers" Then told me it would be working in 24 hours after reset. After I called him on this ridiculous response, he said that is all he had. So I said so my only option is to find another ISP. His classis response: you got to do what you got to do. Unbelievable way to run a company. I am looking for the replacement now!

16 of 17 (4,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2012 10:49:45 PM
(0)
Contributor

Has anyone noticed that the issues with connecting to 3rd party email clients only happens with email addresses that are NOT the primary email address on the account? I've been noticing that my errors never happen with my primary email address, but with all the other email addresses associated with my account.

17 of 17 (3,806 Views)