For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
killercummins's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, October 23rd, 2014 3:44 AM

trying to find out why I can't get dsl

Just wondering why I can't get DSL when I live next to my my parent house and I had DSL there 4-5 years ago. I'm fairly confident that the DSL continues another 1/2 mile or so down the road. I have talked to several different people over the phone with no luck. So it just puzzles me why I can't get it.

Scholar

• 

147 Messages

9 years ago

In addition, if you were on ADSL as they roll out ADSL2 (what they also call U-Verse), they'll block any upgrade options you once had.  They'll also price your older ADSL higher.  That way they can charge you for new equipment to purchase and your old equipment just becomes obsolete.  ADSL2 also requires a much cleaner line than the old cat3 or phone wires.  They eventually put cat5e lines around my home after 5 months of "repairs" when their router blew out and got replaced to "fix" my connection issues that didn't exist until they put in new equipment.

They've also slowed their upload speeds tremendously in relation to download, so that you can't do real work VPN connections.  Sure it's faster than before, but I do work, and upload speeds are not sufficiently fast enough to really work from home for me.  I'm not spending my time on netflix or youtube.  We should have had fiber to the home already if AT&T had used the government kickbacks during the Clinton era to upgrade the network as they promised they would when they asked for those kickbacks.  Those CEOS should return their salaries to the government or use it to provide our fiber optic networks.

@my thoughts wrote:

Three most common reasons....

1) if in a Uverse area (market) DSL is not offered.

2) no available ports to provide new service.

3) the local equipment is scheduled to be sunset (retired), no new customer subscription being taken.

As currently stated, all DSL will be discontinue between now and 2020, different areas shut down at different times.

By 2020 all IP network, either will have choice of VDSL, adsl2+ or 4G LTE wireless internet.

Those are your current choices today if DSL is not available.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

So AT&T is banking on a service 5-6 years down the road, hoping potential customers won't seek alternative sources of ISPs in the meantime?!?!?  The reputation they're building presently with this apathy for present needs will be their demise...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.