Posted Jul 28, 2012
"Will the Real U-Verse Shady - Please Stand Up!" (was)Re: Forced migration from DSL to U-verse

Will the real Slim Shady please stand up? Will the real U-Verse (hopefully it's not shady?) Shady please stand up????

What I want to know is if this is really something different, substantially, from what we've got already. The box out on the end of the street (just off major east west roadway Cypress Creek Road in Fort Lauderdale, Fl. right by I-95) looks the same way it has look for many years. Crappy. I don't see anything upgraded around here. Awhile back I had to ask for faster speed than the 1 / we were getting ... and finally got upgraded to 3 ... but last I checked 6 wasn't possible.

So if the last mile infrastructure around here hasn't been improved - then I have to ask - what's the point in upgrading the Name of what we get just to have to pay more a year later just because it's called "U-Verse" now?

I mean the *real* U-Verse ... which would be capable of IP-TV as well as several tiers of faster and faster Internet ... that would be worth a change maybe. But if tthe infrastructure around here just doesn't support any more than what they've been doing for years ... then what's the point?

"Show me the Speedy!" (from "Show me the Money!") :-)

I mean it would probably cost AT&Tsome money (could get Sales types to do it on commission?) - but what if they sent someone out with a so called "U-Verse" modem and SHOW us that it is really like a "Universe" faster and better than what we have? That would also show us that the infrastructure is really here at our back door ... that they can just hook it up to our "twisty pair" and make that miracle really happen. Because honestly I don't believe it's there. And that's funny too because right across the big east west road are big glass buildings ... and Westin Hotel and a Business Park just east of us within eyesight ... but none of the Technology seemed to trickle down into this old neighborhood.

Does anyone on here have real knowledge of this area just south of Cypress Creek Rd. in Fort Lauderdale? We are litterally right south of the East Exit off I-95 and the North Entrance is right across the road as well. I can probably find for you on Google Earth ... the Green Box feeding this area. In the grassy knoll south of the fence and litterally within 1 minute walking distance from our house. Is this area REALLY UPGRADED????

"Will the Real U-Verse Shady - Please Stand Up!" (was)Re: Forced migration from DSL to U-verse

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 28, 2012
(0)

Try contacting Alex, one of the AT&T Community Managers for further assistance.

He can answer your questions.

aspicer wrote:

Will the real Slim Shady please stand up? Will the real U-Verse (hopefully it's not shady?) Shady please stand up????

What I want to know is if this is really something different, substantially, from what we've got already. The box out on the end of the street (just off major east west roadway Cypress Creek Road in Fort Lauderdale, Fl. right by I-95) looks the same way it has look for many years. Crappy. I don't see anything upgraded around here. Awhile back I had to ask for faster speed than the 1 / we were getting ... and finally got upgraded to 3 ... but last I checked 6 wasn't possible.

So if the last mile infrastructure around here hasn't been improved - then I have to ask - what's the point in upgrading the Name of what we get just to have to pay more a year later just because it's called "U-Verse" now?

I mean the *real* U-Verse ... which would be capable of IP-TV as well as several tiers of faster and faster Internet ... that would be worth a change maybe. But if tthe infrastructure around here just doesn't support any more than what they've been doing for years ... then what's the point?

"Show me the Speedy!" (from "Show me the Money!") :-)

I mean it would probably cost AT&Tsome money (could get Sales types to do it on commission?) - but what if they sent someone out with a so called "U-Verse" modem and SHOW us that it is really like a "Universe" faster and better than what we have? That would also show us that the infrastructure is really here at our back door ... that they can just hook it up to our "twisty pair" and make that miracle really happen. Because honestly I don't believe it's there. And that's funny too because right across the big east west road are big glass buildings ... and Westin Hotel and a Business Park just east of us within eyesight ... but none of the Technology seemed to trickle down into this old neighborhood.

Does anyone on here have real knowledge of this area just south of Cypress Creek Rd. in Fort Lauderdale? We are litterally right south of the East Exit off I-95 and the North Entrance is right across the road as well. I can probably find for you on Google Earth ... the Green Box feeding this area. In the grassy knoll south of the fence and litterally within 1 minute walking distance from our house. Is this area REALLY UPGRADED????

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: "Will the Real U-Verse Shady - Please Stand Up!" (was)Re: Forced migration from DSL t

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 28, 2012
(0)

* Ok, I don't think it'll help much, but I will message him. I just checked online and they can't even find our address. House been here since 1960 or so ... can't find it. That's funny. :-) They did find it by the phone number though. And U-Verse TV was the first clue ... I took a screen shot of that. NOT AVAILABLE. Which means the link (infrastructure is not here to support it.) And then I went on to the Internet tab ... and the only offers were up to 6 Mbps. So that leads me to think what I was already thinking ... THEY ARE NOT READY *HERE* YET. Maybe they never will be. The've been leaving us at "Status Quo" for a LONG TIME.

spd2demun wrote:

Try contacting Alex, one of the AT&T Community Managers for further assistance.

He can answer your questions.

aspicer wrote:

Re: "Will the Real U-Verse Shady - Please Stand Up!" (was)Re: Forced migration from DSL t

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 29, 2012
(0)

The Avaiability Checker isn't always right.  If it is available, Alex's team can fix it in their system.  Good luck.

Will probably be Mon. before you get a reply (doesn't work weekends).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 1, 2012
(0)

Yah, but "Boots on the ground" is not that often wrong. And I live right here. And I'm a telecom guy. There is no new fiber optic in this neighborhood - that would be needed to support any kind of real Uverse services.We've been sent Back to The Future - unfortunately we got sent to 1985 when that movie came out. And we haven't moved forward (AT&T-wise) from 1985.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 2, 2012
(0)

You have to break (out) some Fiber to make a real U-verse ...

Like Kraft had that commercial "You've gotta break some eggs to make a real mayonaise".

I could be wrong ... but AT&T could be trying to make a "Miracle Whip". Which Kraft (and myself) would call not real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uverse

U-verse uses a Fiber to the Node (FTTN) or Fiber to the Premises (FTTP) communications network, which uses fiber-optic connections to boxes either within a neighborhood or at each premises. A high-speed variant of Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line technology called ADSL2+ or Very-high-bitrate digital subscriber line (VDSL) are used on the telephone lines to the customers' premises.

If it was really here ... the IPTV would be available as well as the faster Internet speeds (up to 24 Mbps down by 3 Mbps up) - but I really doubt it is here, or that anything like new Fiber was run. There would be evidence of recent digging ... and it would have been a pretty big project. We would have noticed that at the Neighborhood BOX.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 2, 2012
(0)

aspicer wrote:

You have to break (out) some Fiber to make a real U-verse ...

Like Kraft had that commercial "You've gotta break some eggs to make a real mayonaise".

I could be wrong ... but AT&T could be trying to make a "Miracle Whip". Which Kraft (and myself) would call not real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uverse

U-verse uses a Fiber to the Node (FTTN) or Fiber to the Premises (FTTP) communications network, which uses fiber-optic connections to boxes either within a neighborhood or at each premises. A high-speed variant of Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line technology called ADSL2+ or Very-high-bitrate digital subscriber line (VDSL) are used on the telephone lines to the customers' premises.

If it was really here ... the IPTV would be available as well as the faster Internet speeds (up to 24 Mbps down by 3 Mbps up) - but I really doubt it is here, or that anything like new Fiber was run. There would be evidence of recent digging ... and it would have been a pretty big project. We would have noticed that at the Neighborhood BOX.

Doesn't have to be a big project, cable laying machines aren't much bigger than a small riding lawn mower and only requires a few small holes to run, When Verizon started installing FiOS in my old neighborhood they were in and out in less than a week and you couldn't even tell they were there.  AT&T as well as the majority of cable companies that run cable do not require massive excavation projects to run new cable/fiber anymore.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 22, 2013
(0)

I last wrote about this in August last year. A little over a year later, in October we are now, it seems like something is happening around here. I'm pretty good at spotting things. I heard loud machinery noises last week and went out to see what it was. In the grassy knoll just north of the house and right off of Cypress Creek Rd. I found a big machine being operated ... and it was bigger than a riding lawn mower. It came with an 18-wheeler style truck with water tanks and such. The machine was about 1/2 the size of the truck. It was drilling through 10 foot metal rods under the ground just a few feet. They were working on making a distance around 200 feet away. Once the metal rods, which are screwed together, got to the other end they connected a grey about 4 inch diameter conduit or pipe tubing to it. It was then pulled back through by the same machine to the other end. As the week went on they moved further down the street. The painted arrows and a couple of times "Mastek" company names on the pavement. This east west run comes out by an existing VRAD by a hotel just east of I-95 on Cypress Creek Rd.

Tonight I notice they have ripped out the old green Telco box ... and VRAD style cabinet has been put in place along with a distribution cabinet. There is also a new wooden pole with AT&T metal label marking on it. The east end of the little street which runs just south of Cypress Creek Rd. comes out in perfect alignment for the existing VRAD and such by the hotel. And markings indicate that's the target. Earth has been moved adjacent to that as well looks like a big mole went through the ground and left the dirt on the top.

Anybody have any idea of the timeline for this new system actually offering service to us? It's a 120 foot hop from the new cabinets to my house. I imagine it's hard to much closer than that!

I put pictures on my face book.

Regards,

Alan Spicer

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 22, 2013
(0)

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!