For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Iamlost1's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, October 31st, 2014 4:35 AM

phone

I just went to the AT&T store as I had an upgrade on my phone available. I had and 3g and the website told me I could upgrade to a 5s for free if I signed a 2 year contract. When I told the guy at the store this he said that I should not do this as the phone was not really free but that the cost of the phone would be added to my monthly bill. He told me I should just buy a phone and it would be cheaper and I would not have to sign a contract. Was he telling me the truth or was it just a way for him to make a bigger commision?

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

@Iamlost1 wrote:

I just went to the AT&T store as I had an upgrade on my phone available. I had and 3g and the website told me I could upgrade to a 5s for free if I signed a 2 year contract. When I told the guy at the store this he said that I should not do this as the phone was not really free but that the cost of the phone would be added to my monthly bill. He told me I should just buy a phone and it would be cheaper and I would not have to sign a contract. Was he telling me the truth or was it just a way for him to make a bigger commision?

WHat service plan do you currently have?  If you have an older (grandfathered) Individual or Family Talk plan (both retired late in 2013) then you pay the same amount for service if you get a subsidized phone or pay full retail price for your phone.  If you have a Mobile Share Value Plan, then you do get a discount on your service if you don't have a contract subsidized phone, but the amount of the discount depends upon how much data you subscribe to.  In the end, you pay more to get a subsidized phone than if you purchase the phone for full price if your out of contract discount is higher than the discount on the phone price for a subsidized phone.  In other words, if you currently have the $25 discount for your phone service, then you pay more to get a subsidized phone, but otherwise, you probably pay less to get a subsidized phone.  It all depends upon your service plan and if you qualify for any of the discounts.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I just upgrade my plan from a phone conversation the night before to unlimited talk and text and 10 GB of data. does that help?

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

9 years ago

If you have the 10GB plan, you get a $25 discount per month for being out of contract. In the long run, it is cheaper to buy using NEXT. You pay full price for the phone, but no money down and pay over 18 to 24 months (depending on the plan you choose) and keep the $25 per month discount..

If you use the subsidized upgrade, you pay the subsidized cost for the phone, a $40 upgrade fee and lose the $25 per month discount for 24 months.($640 plus the cost of the subsidized phone)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.