For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
gardyn_gurl's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, September 28th, 2014 8:30 PM

dry loop dsl or dsl and wireless home phone

I live in an apartment.  I signed up for uverse, but I am having to immediately cancel as I found out my landlord won't permit it.  I've had dsl for several years, and I like it, but I was wanting to save some money.  Seeing as the only options I see on the website involve uverse, would it still be possible to drop my landline and do dry loop dsl without uverse?  Or, could I replace my regular landline with the "go phone" home wireless voice service for $20 per month?  If I can't make changes to my dsl service without upgrading to uverse, an option my apartment complex won't allow, then I'll probably be forced to switch to my apartment complex cable internet as it would be cheaper...then just completely drop my landline in favor of a cell phone.  As I do not have permission from my landlord to upgrade to uverse, would that permit me to make changes to my dsl/home service without upgrading to uverse?  I know I cannot do so over the internet.

Thanks!

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

Your apartment landlord can not prevent you from getting Uverse, it's against the law.  Stems from bans on satellite dishes and courts found for the dish users.

Besides they could bring Uverse in on the phone line if necessary.

If you currently have ATT ADSL, it will be disappearing soon.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ATT-Tries-to-Keep-the-Axing-of-Millions-of-DSL-Users-a-Secret-130421 😉

Edit:  Don't know if you mean this:

http://www.att.com/cellphones/att/wireless-home-phone-and-internet.html#sku=sku7130587

It seems a little pricey on the data costs.

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATTUverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I am really more interested in the Uverse Internet services because it would lower my current costs at least for a year and allow me to connect other wifi devices for less than half of what I am paying now.  Even after the promotion it would be $85. I am currently paying $95 per month for phone services and 3MB DSL (PRO).  People are getting voice, internet, AND TV for less than that.

The people in the apartment complex said no.  It's against the law for them to prevent me from having  basic phone service, but it isn't against the law to prevent me from having work done to the wiring inside the apartment for cable or internet.  In my case, my apartment offers their own internet and cable services, but I don't really want their internet added to my lease because I prefer to have my payments staggered throughout the month.  It helps with the budgeting.  Still, if it remains the cheapest solution, I may do that and sooner than later.  I can get 3MB from my apartment for $35 per month.  I would ask for the same rate for the dry loop dsl from AT&T.  They have current promotions for UVERSE Internet that are less than that.

Ideally, I would keep my current DSL and change my regular phone line to wireless for $20 per month.

http://www.att.com/cellphones/att/att-wireless-home-phone.html

It would be great if ATT could force my Apartment into allowing us to use Uverse Internet, as that would also open the door up for other competition.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

10 years ago

@gardyn_gurl wrote:

I am really more interested in the Uverse Internet services because it would lower my current costs at least for a year and allow me to connect other wifi devices for less than half of what I am paying now.  Even after the promotion it would be $85. I am currently paying $95 per month for phone services and 3MB DSL (PRO).  People are getting voice, internet, AND TV for less than that.

The people in the apartment complex said no.  It's against the law for them to prevent me from having  basic phone service, but it isn't against the law to prevent me from having work done to the wiring inside the apartment for cable or internet.  In my case, my apartment offers their own internet and cable services, but I don't really want their internet added to my lease because I prefer to have my payments staggered throughout the month.  It helps with the budgeting.  Still, if it remains the cheapest solution, I may do that and sooner than later.  I can get 3MB from my apartment for $35 per month.  I would ask for the same rate for the dry loop dsl from AT&T.  They have current promotions for UVERSE Internet that are less than that.

Ideally, I would keep my current DSL and change my regular phone line to wireless for $20 per month.

http://www.att.com/cellphones/att/att-wireless-home-phone.html

It would be great if ATT could force my Apartment into allowing us to use Uverse Internet, as that would also open the door up for other competition.

What work are they having to do on the wiring inside the apartment for Uverse?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.