Posted Aug 26, 2013
When should I call to end my contract to avoid ETF/ovepayment?

So I have 2 lines that are close to the end of their contract lives. One line ends on October 15 and the other line is on October 16. My bill cycle dates end on every 27th of the month. When is the recommended date to call them and let them know to end my service? I'm DONE with AT&T. 

P.S. One of the those lines is the 'head' line of the family plan, do I just tell them to give that title to a different number of the same line?

When should I call to end my contract to avoid ETF/ovepayment?

[ Edited ]
14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 26, 2013
(0)

Infuriated wrote:

So I have 2 lines that are close to the end of their contract lives. One line ends on October 15 and the other line is on October 16. My bill cycle dates end on every 27th of the month. When is the recommended date to call them and let them know to end my service? I'm DONE with AT&T. 

P.S. One of the those lines is the 'head' line of the family plan, do I just tell them to give that title to a different number of the same line?

personally I would wait until the end of the next billing cycle to avoid any chance of a problem, you are going to get a final bill that will not be pro-rated anyway.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: When should I call to end my contract to avoid ETF/ovepayment?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 26, 2013
(0)

When you say the end of next bill cycle, do you mean the end of 8/27-9/26 or the 9/27-10/26 bill? I remember them telling me that they bill 1 month in advance or something like that. 

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 26, 2013
(0)
It's best to cancel as close as you can to 10/26. Since you will be billed the entire bill anyways, might as well get full service out of it. This way, you avoid the ETF.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 26, 2013
(0)

Is cancelling service usually instant? The last time I threatened to cancel service, they said it was too close to the end of my bill cycle date and I would have to cancel it on the next cycle. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 26, 2013
(0)

If you cancel services, the system automatically schedules it to be cancelled at the end of the billing cycle. You could technically have it cancelled the same day if you really wanted to, but there's no benefit since you're billed to end of the cycle. If you're porting out the numbers to another company, that depends on the other company.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 26, 2013
(0)

I see. I have no idea why they told me I couldn't end my service then and there, I never mentioned any sort of porting either to them. Guess that's just how AT&T does things, I'm really glad our contract is almost over. 

So you guys suggest I call as late as possible, even as far as calling ON the date of the expiration date? 

Let's say I call tomorrow and tell them to put a note to automatically cancel service when my contract expires, would they go through with it (doubt it), or would I be un-surprised to my knowing that on the morning of the 16th, I still have service and no such note ever existed in their system (this seems like the more realistic one)?

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 26, 2013
(0)
It's easier to call them on the 1st day of the billing cycle when you're going to cancel and just tell them to please schedule a cancellation for the last day of the cycle. That's the default date their system comes up with on any cancellation.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 26, 2013
(0)

So it's best to call on 9/26 then, since it's the first date of the cycle that runs on the end date?

Cycle of 9/26-10/27 with 10/15 and 10/16 being the end dates of 2 lines. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 27, 2013
(0)

Infuriated wrote:

So it's best to call on 9/26 then, since it's the first date of the cycle that runs on the end date?

Cycle of 9/26-10/27 with 10/15 and 10/16 being the end dates of 2 lines. 

Are you trying to port your numbers out?  If not, then you could possibly follow the advice that has been given. 

If you are trying to port your numbers to another carrier, you should initiate the port request with the other carrier somewhere around the 24th to give the port request time to go through.  You may lose a couple of days of service, but you don't want to risk going into the next billing cycle.  When porting out a number, you do not cancel your service with the existing carrier first; you would lose access to having the number ported if you did that.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 27, 2013
(0)

One thing that has not been mentioned - make sure you are looking at the contract end date and not the upgrade eligible date, they are two different dates, currenlty if you contract ends before march 1 2014 you are on a 20 month upgrade cycle. If you are looking at that date, then you still have 4 months left on the contract

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 27, 2013
(0)

Yes I'm aware of those dates - these are definitely the contract end dates as I've called them to ask about it. And I vaguely remember purchasing the iPhone 4s a few days after launch, so it makes sense that these dates are correct.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 27, 2013
(0)

Infuriated wrote:

Yes I'm aware of those dates - these are definitely the contract end dates as I've called them to ask about it. And I vaguely remember purchasing the iPhone 4s a few days after launch, so it makes sense that these dates are correct.

the 4S was lauched on October 4, 2011, so if you got it a few days after the release the contract end would be around Oct 2013, the iphone 4 released on June 24, 2010

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 27, 2013
(0)

Yea that makes sense, I just checked my account on myAT&T. The dates match up to what they/you said. Contracts expire on the 15th and 16th of October this year.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 27, 2013
(0)

Infuriated wrote:

Yea that makes sense, I just checked my account on myAT&T. The dates match up to what they/you said. Contracts expire on the 15th and 16th of October this year.

Just double checking:smileyhappy: Better to check and check again, especially with a etf for 2 lines and a final non-prorated bill:smileyhappy: