Posted Jan 25, 2013
12:50:20 PM
Usb Tethering and Unlimited Data Plan

Hello I have an unlimited data plan on my phone. I have been using PdaNet to tether my phones network connection to provide an internet connection to my laptop via USB. What I am wondering is if I am doing this will I see some sort of data charge even though it's unlimited?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Jan 30, 2013 3:13:17 AM
(0)
Scholar
There is no sort of charge or extra fees.
Although, I want to just give you a heads up as a peer:
If AT&T notices that you're tethering, they can (if they want to) put you on a limited plan with or without notice.
on Unlimited data plans, they will slow down the data if you go over 3GB of data.

Honestly, if you're using PDAnet without any issues, I'd say continue on! :smileyhappy:
Accepted Solution

Usb Tethering and Unlimited Data Plan

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 25, 2013 2:47:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Tethering is not allowed on the unlimited data plan. The only plans that allow tethering are the 5gb $50/month data plan or the mobile share data plans.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Usb Tethering and Unlimited Data Plan

2 of 18 (30,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Jan 30, 2013 3:13:17 AM
(0)
Scholar
If AT&T notices that you're tethering, they can (if they want to) put you on a limited plan with or without notice.
on Unlimited data plans, they will slow down the data if you go over 3GB of data.

Honestly, if you're using PDAnet without any issues, I'd say continue on! :smileyhappy:

Software development
Mobile software development
WiFi security
Graphic design
3D animation

3 of 18 (30,653 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2013 3:30:28 AM
(0)
Expert

christopherjones wrote:

Incorrect - on your statement "they can (if they want to)" if they detect tethering they will switch yuo to the 5GB tethering plan automaticly

4 of 18 (30,653 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 17, 2013 4:29:35 PM
(0)
Tutor
The funny thing is when I called att and asked about Internet tethering she told me that since I have the unlimited plan it won't be a problem. I hope they really do record there calls for quality assurance.

5 of 18 (28,253 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 18, 2013 7:36:53 AM
(0)
Expert

Jbrey411 wrote:
The funny thing is when I called att and asked about Internet tethering she told me that since I have the unlimited plan it won't be a problem. I hope they really do record there calls for quality assurance.

you recieved bad information - tethering has never been allowed on the unlimited plan even back to where it was available as a feature. You tether you will be changed to the 5GB plan with hotpsot and tethering, pretty good chance you will not be allowed back to the old plan.

recording the call means nothing, a csr cannot alter company policy and the switch over is done automaticly by the system when it detects the violation of the terms of service in effect for your service

6 of 18 (28,213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2013 6:03:59 AM
(0)
Contributor

Sounds like ATT needs to retrain the people.. Data is Data i wish ATT could come up with one good reason why they need to police tethering other than corporate Greed.

7 of 18 (23,804 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2013 8:05:42 AM
(0)
Expert

Greenmanz wrote:

Sounds like ATT needs to retrain the people.. Data is Data i wish ATT could come up with one good reason why they need to police tethering other than corporate Greed.

there never was a option to tether or hotspot on the discontinued unlimited data plan. Verizion was the same way when they had unlimited data. Their network infrastructure, their rules.

8 of 18 (23,780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2013 8:33:55 AM
(0)
Contributor

I've called ATT on several different occasions to check my limitations on my tethering with unlimited and everytime (at least 6 with 6 different reps) i've been told its perfectly ok. So im being told that all 6 of these reps are wrong and although someone representing ATT told me one thing I can be punished for doing what I was told was okay?

9 of 18 (23,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2013 9:06:04 AM
(0)
Employee

Greenmanz wrote:

I've called ATT on several different occasions to check my limitations on my tethering with unlimited and everytime (at least 6 with 6 different reps) i've been told its perfectly ok. So im being told that all 6 of these reps are wrong and although someone representing ATT told me one thing I can be punished for doing what I was told was okay?

Do you have the unlimited data plan for a smartphone or do you have the unlimited data plan for a non-smart phone? As Wingrider said, tethering has never been allowed on the smartphone unlimited plan and won't even work unless you've somehow hacked or jailbroken your smartphone to make it work. However, I've heard there is no such restriction with dumb phones and the non-smartphone unlimited data plan. If you happen to have a dumb phone that supports tethering, it will work.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

10 of 18 (23,762 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2013 9:42:32 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have a smart phone that is cyanogenmoded and i've explained that to the att rep i've talked to. Again I've always been told tethering is alright as long as it isnt abused on the unlimited plan.

11 of 18 (23,755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2013 11:01:07 AM
(0)
Expert

Greenmanz wrote:

I have a smart phone that is cyanogenmoded and i've explained that to the att rep i've talked to. Again I've always been told tethering is alright as long as it isnt abused on the unlimited plan.

I would suggest that you review the terms of service and the fair use policy. If they detect that you are tethering on a plan that does not it is not allowed on they can and will automaticly switch to the 5GB tethering plan, pretty much zero tolerence and you won.t get your discontinued plan back

12 of 18 (23,728 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 20, 2013 11:21:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Since you have CM on your phone, i'm sure you're familiar with the xda forums. There are many reports where customers get a notification if they keep tethering they will lose the unlimited data plan. After the warning, they lose it. This of course depends on how ATT traces it. I've tethered before on my unlimited data plan, but that was only for work when my internet was down. The more you use it, the more you're likely to be caught. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

13 of 18 (23,624 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 17, 2013 4:44:19 PM
(0)
Tutor
I personally don't get why can't you tether if you get throttled after reaching cap anyways

14 of 18 (21,973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 17, 2013 6:12:34 PM
(0)
Expert

vladi_ak wrote:
I personally don't get why can't you tether if you get throttled after reaching cap anyways

even back when the unlimited plan was avaialbe you never could tethered, you purchased an additional tethering plan that was capped at 5GB, now that the unlimited plan is discontinued they wil not add functionality.

If you want to terther and feel that 3GB is enough convert to a 3GB mobile share plan - unlimited voice, text, and the ability to hotpsot and tether.

15 of 18 (21,961 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 31, 2013 6:58:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

kdfederer wrote:
Tethering is not allowed on the unlimited data plan. The only plans that allow tethering are the 5gb $50/month data plan or the mobile share data plans.

i've never understood this.  Bits are bits.  It doesn't matter if they travel to my phone or to my computer THROUGH my phone.  It's the SAME bits.

If I have an app on my phone and on my computer that are getting my Twitter updates, they are both using the same Twitter API to get the data.  The data comes back (XML or JSON) the same way! It's the same exact bits!  AT&T should NOT get to charge me TWICE for those same bits.

16 of 18 (21,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 31, 2013 10:23:10 AM
(0)
Expert

waynelroberts wrote:

kdfederer wrote:

i've never understood this.  Bits are bits.  It doesn't matter if they travel to my phone or to my computer THROUGH my phone.  It's the SAME bits.

If I have an app on my phone and on my computer that are getting my Twitter updates, they are both using the same Twitter API to get the data.  The data comes back (XML or JSON) the same way! It's the same exact bits!  AT&T should NOT get to charge me TWICE for those same bits.

carriers make the rules for useage on their infrastructure, does not matter what the data packet type is, their rules. Tethering never was avaialbe on the unlimited plan even when it was active, it was always a add on feature to the unlimited plan that had a cap with overages. Besides the discontinued unlimited plan has a speed cap of 3gb for 3g and 5gb for lte, after that the data transfer speed is cut back to below edge speeds. drop the unlimited plan, go to mobile share and you can tether to your hearts conent or your checkbooks limited

17 of 18 (21,116 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 31, 2014 10:21:33 AM
(0)
Contributor

I pray google come up with their data plan network sooner, then you guys (ATT & Verizon etc.,) will come beg for customers. At that time you will realize your mistake by loosing loyalty of your customer. I already moved my unlimited voice plan to minium 550 minutes and start using vonage app to make voice calls over LTE. I wouldn't have done that until I lost my loyalty towards ATT. I had everything unlimited since 2007. Just because I can't tether (you can give any justification - that it was not included in the original plan), made me mad against ATT. 

18 of 18 (2,746 Views)