Need help understanding your bill?
Devra's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Thursday, January 12th, 2012 9:24 PM

Telemarketers Calling Mobile Phones

For the past 1-1/2 months a telemarketer has called my mobile phone 6 times. I don't answer as I do not pick up unknown numbers.  I have my number on the National DNC list (a lot of good that does). I will be reporting them to the FCC next time. Until then, I have been told that other carriers offer a call blocking service for their customers. Why doesn't AT&T?  This should be a free service offered now that telemarketers have obtained mobile numbers.

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

12 years ago

Sorry couldn't find it earlier, but here is the information you wanted.

What are Spam Controls?

Spam Controls enable you to block unwanted messages. Spam Controls consist of two services, Call & Message Blocking and Internet Spam Controls. Verizon Wireless provides these free features to block certain phone numbers and Internet addresses from contacting you.

And the link so you can read it for yourself if you prefer.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/faqs/Features%20and%20Optional%20Services/spam_controls.html

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

Update - I filed a complaint with the FCC on 1/15/2012.  The calls stopped for a while but are starting back up again.  Same phone number, calling 2-3/day.  I have written the FCC again and have continued to file complaints with the DNC.  This is a waste of time in my opinion.  AT&T should consider providing a call block service as part of our calling plan (at least for up to 5 numbers as Verizon does).  We pay for our service and should not have to pay an additional $5.00/month to call block.  In case anyone wants to know who the annoying phone number is for this telemarketer, it's 503-4***** and, when Googled, it comes up with thousands of complaints as a home security telemarketer.  If someone knows how to get the name of this company, I'd like to know.  I am extremely irritated that they managed to get my mobile phone which is suppose to be private.  AT&T, get with the program and give your customers (at the very least) a FREE limited call block service!!!  By the way, I also get calls from the following who also are reportedely from home security telemarketers (425-3***** & 360-5*****) - probably the same company just trying different numbers to "sneak" through.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

Thank you for your input regarding Verizon providing a "limited" call block service for free.  I have posted an update to these annoying calls.  I would certainly hope AT&T considers providing the same service to it's customers but, I'm not holding my breath.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Same here sent a complaint to AT&T, I am on the DNC (aggree with previous poster think the gov was hacked to obtain DNC list and I also filed at the www.callercenter.com to report
This is an infringement of our consititutional rights!
Here are a list of annoying numbers:
9712********

5026********

2025********

9093********

2025********

I'm afriad after emailing AT&T noting will be done about it

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I could not disagree more!  Why should I pay for this?

Blocking calls from abusers of the phone network should be something that AT&T just does.  These illegal operators ignore the DNC list and try to perpertrate scams on people who answer the calls.  Supposedly, the callers are making money on every phone call by getting a small slice of the charge when the callee requests a caller ID.

Do a little research.  Here's an example: http://www.callercenter.com/203-998-7000.html

Try your own search for the number of one of these telemarketing calls. 

I think that AT&T and other wireless providers should accept complaints from wireless customers about such calls.  If a phone number gets enough complaints, it should be banned from making any calls to wireless customers  -- and quickly.  Since the scammers fake the caller ID's, this could eventually block a lot of legitimate numbers.  AT&T should have the ability to identify and shut down abusive activity on its networks, regardless of the given caller ID and no matter where the calls are actually originating.

I'm willing to switch to any wireless service provider that actually does something about these illegal callers.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@mikeRmac wrote:

Same here sent a complaint to AT&T, I am on the DNC (aggree with previous poster think the gov was hacked to obtain DNC list and I also filed at the www.callercenter.com to report
This is an infringement of our consititutional rights!
Here are a list of annoying numbers:
9712********

5026********

2025********

9093********

2025********

I'm afriad after emailing AT&T noting will be done about it

consitutional rights? where and how.

Sorry will stay with the federal and state run DNC organizations, at least they have procesute and fine laws in place and have hit the telmarketers that disregard that rule hard with fines.

The goverment does not need to be "hacked" to obtain that DNC list, by law telemarketers are required to purchase a copy of the DNC list from the federal organization and form each and every state that they make calls to, if the number that they call is on that list and a complaint is made the organizations take steps to handle it.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

11 years ago

I use a free app called Mr. Number. It's great. Blocks suspected SPAM automatically and you can block private or unknown or by area code or a host of options. It's cut my telemarketer calls from about 10 a month or more to sometimes 0.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@NC_Cell wrote:

I use a free app called Mr. Number. It's great. Blocks suspected SPAM automatically and you can block private or unknown or by area code or a host of options. It's cut my telemarketer calls from about 10 a month or more to sometimes 0.

Like I said I use DNC for state, federal cell and landline, cuts my junk calls down to 2 or 3 a month, and those are reported so they can be fined

Scholar

• 

186 Messages

11 years ago

I have never received telemarketer calls on my AT&T cell, but I have recevied 2 or maybe 3 on my Verizon cell which used to be my unlisted, unpublished land line. I answered the calls and told the callers it was a cell phone and they never called back. I haven't received any more calls in at least 4 years, so apparently that solved the problem.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

11 years ago

DNC does not block any calls nor does it automatically report violators. And it is extremely rare that any violator ever gets fined. Been on DNC since its inception. Have filed countless complaints with feds and state authorities. Biggest current problem is offshore spoofers hacking a valid US number. Authorities are powerless, DNC is totally useless. Mr. Number does work, doesn't stop them but reduces by at least 90%, and it's free.

I wish this was La La land where Government was effective and Corporations cared about their customers. We could all just put on our plaid pants and checkered button-up shirt and get on our Goldwings and blissfully ride into the sunset listening to Lee Greenwood's greatest hit totally out of touch. But it's the real world.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.