Need help understanding your bill?
Devra's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Thursday, January 12th, 2012 9:24 PM

Telemarketers Calling Mobile Phones

For the past 1-1/2 months a telemarketer has called my mobile phone 6 times. I don't answer as I do not pick up unknown numbers.  I have my number on the National DNC list (a lot of good that does). I will be reporting them to the FCC next time. Until then, I have been told that other carriers offer a call blocking service for their customers. Why doesn't AT&T?  This should be a free service offered now that telemarketers have obtained mobile numbers.

Official Solution

Guru

• 

641 Messages

12 years ago

Smart limits is $4.99 a month.

It's a service AT&T provides to block numbers, to control usage on the line, and set limits.

It is your choice whether or not you want to purchase it, but if not I suggest you attempt to get more info about the telemarketers contacting you and file a complaint with the FCC.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@Devra wrote:

For the past 1-1/2 months a telemarketer has called my mobile phone 6 times. I don't answer as I do not pick up unknown numbers.  I have my number on the National DNC list (a lot of good that does). I will be reporting them to the FCC next time. Until then, I have been told that other carriers offer a call blocking service for their customers. Why doesn't AT&T?  This should be a free service offered now that telemarketers have obtained mobile numbers.

ATT does, it is just not free same as verizon, they charge also

"

Contact Verizon Wireless and add "Usage Controls" to your service plan. This service is not included in the base Verizon package, and costs about $5 per month as of the time of publication. "Usage Controls" is not strictly a call-blocking service, but it includes call blocking as part of a package that also lets you control usage allowance, time restrictions and trusted numbers. Add the service and wait for it to take effect, which can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

12 years ago

I certainly agree with you. Blocking phone numbers should be free of charge. After all, it's a big part of customer service. Besides, it's not our fault telemarketers call people, even those on the DNC list. They should be fined for that, not us. 

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

12 years ago

By the way, just in case telemarketers read these responses, I'm reporting you guys to FCC everytime you call me. I've been posting every phone number to http://www.callercenter.com. 

And don't be too confident when you're keeping your number private because I have a way to know who owns it. Maybe you're still operating right now.. But call me one time and I'll do all I can to put you out of business.

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

12 years ago

Hate to burst your bubble, but Verizon does offer it for free.  Yes there is a package that includes it, but if all you need is call blocking, then yes it is free.  I had a person calling my daughters phone, even after being told she had the wrong number.  Called Verizon and they suggested I just block the number, which is free for I think 5 numbers.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@Droidrulez wrote:

Hate to burst your bubble, but Verizon does offer it for free.  Yes there is a package that includes it, but if all you need is call blocking, then yes it is free.  I had a person calling my daughters phone, even after being told she had the wrong number.  Called Verizon and they suggested I just block the number, which is free for I think 5 numbers.

Not according to their website - 4.99 a month per line

https://wbillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw/nos/uc/uc_home.jsp

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Can't block the number if its coming in as "BLOCKED" or "UNKNOWN". That's the problem! I just saw a news report a few days ago where someone took it to the high federal level and they won against scavenger collection companies and telemarketers blowing up cell phones. Have to dig for the link again.... BIG plus for cell phone owners! WE pay for these seconds of time on the plans, not the telemarketers!

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

12 years ago

As I said originally, yes there is the version that you can pay for that gives you more numbers, but Verizon gives you 5 FREE numbers.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@Droidrulez wrote:

As I said originally, yes there is the version that you can pay for that gives you more numbers, but Verizon gives you 5 FREE numbers.

got a link for that? have nnever seen it

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

12 years ago

No I don't.  It's in our account tools when we log in.  Can't link to that.  I have one number blocked on my daughters line right now, and I'm not paying that $4.99 a month.  In addition to the 5 phone numbers, we can block 15 email addresses.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.