Need help understanding your bill?
Artemisabauer89's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, July 22nd, 2013 4:41 PM

Switching or adding a new line

My husband got his phone in Texas, and I got mine in California. We currently live in North Carolina. We have separate accounts, but his contract just ended. I was wondering if I could add him with a new contract on my account where we are living now without any problems?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

11 years ago

Unfortunately, phone numbers from 2 different market areas cannot be combined on 1 account. It would require the changing of one (or both) of the phone numbers so that both are in the same market area.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

294 Messages

11 years ago

Since his contract is up, you can cancel his line and then request to add a line to your account. Since your account is in the california market, he'd end up getting a number from the same california market as you. This way, you at least get to keep your current number.

Or, since you live in North Carolina, you can request a relocation to the North Carolina market, get a local NC number, and he can still cancel and get a NC number as well. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

So if we were to add a line we would have to go to the original service area if we wanted to keep at least one of the numbers?

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

11 years ago

I believe so, yes.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you so much. 🙂 I'm definitely going to try doing that since we rarely go out to California anymore.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I figured. I switched my phone number to out here and we'll be trying to switch his. Then we'll try adding the number to my account. Thank you guys so much for all your advice!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I think you have to do what ujmnc said. Definitely do not renew his contract because he will be bound to the.new contract until it expires. My granddaughter moved from Florida to live with us in Oklahoma and when her contract expired we had her phone added to our account. She did have to change her phone number to an Oklahoma market number because that is where we got ours. Good luck.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.