For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
meathed666's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, October 2nd, 2014 12:37 AM

Someone tried or someone lied, read my post and you decide

I'm a new customer.  I purchased an LG G3 and I wish I hadn't.  It apparently has an issue with the headphone port where it either doesn't recognize that something is plugged in or it drops the connection to the headphone jack and worst of all when it does recognize and play through an aux cable to the aux port of an external speaker i.e. car stereo, etc. there is a loud audio "pop" similar to the sound you might hear by removing the aux cable while a song plays at very volume from the player and the speakers. I think the G3 turns the jack off and on between tracks and that's what causes the "pop"  Regardless, I decide I don't want the phone because music is too imoportant to me on a daily basis to deal with this mess from a brand new 'flagship" device which costs over 500 retail.  Headphone jacks have been around for a Loooong time and there should be no issues with this type of hardware any more.  So call me dense or unaware or whatever, but up to this point I thought things like this could be returned for up to 30 days after purchase.  I was not told by the sales rep in store that AT&T policy is 14 days.  So here I am 10 days past that and I can't stand this G3.  I go to the store where I bought it and I'm told basically I am S out of luck.  It was suggested that I add a line (no need for that) and get a new device that way (another 200$ + activation and what-not, no thanks). So I leave angry, dissatisfied and sick to my stomach over not being made aware other than the ultra fine print on my receipt that after 14 days I'm stuck because I know the person who sold me the phone never said so.  I believe I would've remembered.  I call AT&T customer care and am asked by Juliana, "How can I make your day awesome?"  I'm not optimistic but I tell her the same story I just told you.  She confirms that other users have experienced and reported the same problem with the G3.  I tell her I wasn't implicitly told about buyer's remorse being 14 days and she puts me on hold so she can speak to her "supervisor" (which is a term I believe to be very loosely thrown about with these people) and ask if something can be done.  After a few moments she comes back and truly succeeds (briefly) in making my day awesome when she says she had gotten authorization to exchange my G3 for the S5 in store.  She said the supervisor was making note on my account for the store to see the information and the authorization to make the exchange.  Juliana recommended I backup my G3 and do a factory restore to wipe all my contacts and such from the phone and to return to the store ASAP.  I did all she told me.  When I got to the store to do the exchange and the "manager" saw my receipt was 10 days past the 14 day remorse period he said "there's nothing I can do".  I explained my conversation with Juliana and asked him to review the notes on my acount.  He did and said he could see the notes and the "code" from the supervisor at the call center but that it meant nothing to him at the store as he could not in any way override the 14 day exchange time period.  I'm livid, but I maintain my composure and ask if he is willing to call customer care for me.  He says "they won't speak to me about your account" and tells me I can make the call.  I do and get a tech support rep who after me explaining this whole sceario to him tells me he is also at a "supervisor" level and is only answering calls to help with excess call volume and although he is sorry and can see the notes on my account there is also nothing that can be done since the 14 day policy is "written in stone" (this was said to me multiple times).  After my continued refusal to believe someone somewhere in a call center unknown to me or to the rep I'm talking to (or the next one) made a promise or commitment to me (similar to my commitment to keep using AT&T and paying my bill) to exchange this phone I now hate for a phone I believe will not have the same defect he connects me to a supervisor above his level and I must tell my story yet again.  This lady was very apologetic and apparently sympathetic (Nicole was the name she gave) but also could offer me no relief in this issue of an exchange.  She offered me a warranty replacement for the G3 and I sincerely hope it doesn't have the same problem although I am not optimistic.  Nicole tells me she believes the person who made the commitment should honor it, but the only way she has to contact this person is through email (although she doesn't know the "his" name), but she can't copy me on the email because that's internal and not allowed. She can't text me his email address, she can't forward or copy and send to me the notes which were made and continued to be made with reference to this situation as that was also against the rules.  She did say she would send me a text or email with her full name and info (but never did) and promised she would personally call me at each step in this process of emailing the supervisor who authorized the exchange.  I'm not holding my breath even though she did seem sincere.  But AT&T never once cared that I was prepared to walk away from this brand new contract if I couldn't reach a satisfactory conclusion and they in fact seem indifferent to the idea that I must now own and use a phone which I can at this point barely stand to look at let alone use to play music for fear of damaging my car stereo speakers.  Someone TRIED? Or someone LIED?  If you read this please respond and let me know what you DECIDE.  Thanks to you reader, and NO THANKS AT&T

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

Regretfully for you, the 14 day "buyer's remorse" period has been that way for some time, and it is in the papers you should have received when you got your new phone.  It is also covered in the documents you signed (on the iPad screen) at the store, so you are bound to it.  That is a given and becuse of that, you are now also bound to the ETF if you choose to "walk away" (that or the account being sent to collections along with the negative impacts on your future credit).

As for someone offering to exchange your phone for a different model, I am a little hard pressed to believe that any phone rep you could have talked to would have the ability to make such an exception to the rules. About the only way they can make such an exception would be if you had to have the same model phone replaced more than 3 times for defects (called "lemon laws" in most states) then they could potentially offer you a different model phone.  Most of the people on the phones don't have that level of authority.

I believe that several people tried to help you, but their hands were tied by the rules (which they may get fired if they don't follow them).  I also believe that someone possibly lied, but since we only have one side of the story, it is hard to say for sure, and if someone did, we can't really tell who did.

Now, if your account is truely noted with issues and "promises" then I would suggest you contact the Customer Care group.  They are not the "normal" support people, they are the ones who can make the exceptions to the rules, or get the authority to do so from the proper people.  You can reach them by the link below. 

You can send a private message to the escalation team at ATT Customer Care and someone will get in touch with you in two to three business days to help you get a resolution to your problems.

To check for their reply, click the little blue envelope. envelope.png

1 Attachment

Scholar

• 

152 Messages

10 years ago

Some questions, When did the problem begin? Did you purchase at a corporate store or an authorized reseller? Did at anytime in the first 14 days return to the store you purchased it from to show them the stated problem? When you attempted to exchange the phone, did you return to the same store you purchased it from?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.