Posted Jul 14, 2012
1:49:09 PM
View profile
Re: Cannot convert to a family plan because of different markets. EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED

I am hoping you can help me as well. I have spent several hours calling AT&T and researching options online. I have been with AT&T over 5 years and my husband for the same time. We are loyal customers and would like to stay with AT&T. I am on a Midwest market individual plan and my husband is on a Northwest market plan. We just got married last year and would like to have him come on my plan however we were told after several calls he has to get a new number and we have to create a new account first to them have him added to mine through relocation. Not only do we have to go through this hassle but we were told we lose the 200MB grandfathered plan and have to pay more per month. Is there anything you can do to help? We would love to just to keep this easy as I hear Verizon can allow family plans with different markets.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 23, 2012 12:09:10 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

In order to create a Family Plan or a Mobile Share plan, you'll need to change her phone number. 

We cannot create a combined plan with phone numbers from different markets. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot convert to a family plan because of different markets. EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED

34 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(34)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2012 9:08:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

It is possible to do this, but the rep has to set you up on a different type of account.  Reach out to jamileh, a forum moderator.  

Unfortunately, you probably won't be able to keep the 200 MB data plan, as that plan is no longer offered.  Grandfathered plans can't be transferred to new accounts.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

2 of 35 (10,682 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2012 9:17:44 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Thanks 21stnow :smileyhappy:

@tbesser - I received and replied to your private message. Will you please take a look when you have a moment?

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 35 (10,687 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 11:53:58 AM
(0)
Contributor

@Jamileh,

I have the same problem. I recently started a new account with AT&T (because my girlfriend was with AT&T) hoping to move her line to my account. However, I just realized that this cannot be done, probably because our lines are in different markets. When I tried to do transfer of billing responsibility, I get the message : "This account is ineligible to add these numbers"

Can you please help?

Thanks & Regards,

4 of 35 (10,500 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 23, 2012 12:09:10 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

In order to create a Family Plan or a Mobile Share plan, you'll need to change her phone number. 

We cannot create a combined plan with phone numbers from different markets. 

--------------

5 of 35 (10,494 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2012 1:41:45 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am also having this same issue.  My fiance and I want to join our accounts and move to a family plan, but are told we can't because my phone is in the Philly market and hers is in the NYC Market (note my area code is from Jersey and hers is from Seattle).  I was informed that I have 2 options.  1.  One of us will have to change our number 2. Leave AT&T and we can both port our numbers.

I've been an AT&T customer for some time now and would prefer not to leave, but I'm being told the only way to keep our numbers would be to leave and go to a competitor like Verizon.  Any help would be appreciated.

6 of 35 (10,230 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2012 1:58:08 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I apologize for the inconvenience, but currently one of you would have to change your number in order to create a family plan. 

Additionally, other carriers may require a number change as well. I would encourage you to research that option before committing to a switch. 

--------------

7 of 35 (10,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2012 4:37:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

rmsichel wrote:

I am also having this same issue.  My fiance and I want to join our accounts and move to a family plan, but are told we can't because my phone is in the Philly market and hers is in the NYC Market (note my area code is from Jersey and hers is from Seattle).  I was informed that I have 2 options.  1.  One of us will have to change our number 2. Leave AT&T and we can both port our numbers.

I've been an AT&T customer for some time now and would prefer not to leave, but I'm being told the only way to keep our numbers would be to leave and go to a competitor like Verizon.  Any help would be appreciated.

Is it possible for one of you to port your number to Google Voice (for a one-time fee of $20), change your number with AT&T, then link your new AT&T number to the Google Voice number?  You wouldn't have to tell people your new telephone number.  The only time you would want to give out your new number is for people who send you MMS messages.  Hopefully, that wouldn't be a large number of people.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 35 (10,209 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2012 12:20:34 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by rmsichel on Sep 12, 2012 at 12:21:39 PM

Good thought on Google Voice but i do text very frequently so that would be a problem.

I spoke with verizon and they let me know that they would port both of our numbers onto a family plan. AT&T needs to get their act together on this one or i'm left with no choice but to leave

[ Edited ]
9 of 35 (10,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2012 2:31:11 PM
(0)
Expert

rmsichel wrote:

Good thought on Google Voice but i do text very frequently so that would be a problem.

I spoke with verizon and they let me know that they would port both of our numbers onto a family plan. AT&T needs to get their act together on this one or i'm left with no choice but to leave

double, triple check that, had an employee on the west coast what to add his daughter and her husband to her family plan, they live in texas and she wanted them to have a texas local exchange, they would not do it for her - this is through verizon and aboout 8 months ago

10 of 35 (10,145 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2012 4:26:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

rmsichel wrote:

Regular text messages would be no problem, but picture messages don't go through on Google Voice.

11 of 35 (10,136 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2012 9:26:09 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hi Jamileh,

Just wanted to air disappointment of another frustrated soon-to-be former customer. The hassle of having 10+ years of contacts switch their stored number for me or my wife is SO much greater than switching carriers to combine them to one family plan (yes, I've researched and verified every other carrier can port our numbers into one family plan together) that we just can't justify staying with AT&T. And when I tried to understand why AT&T had set up this policy - noting that if merely having 9 numbers of a tax ID number made it possible, that it was merely a construction of corporate bureaucracy, not a physical impossibility - the supervising manager I was speaking to basically said if I wanted to leave it was my decision but there was nothing he could do.

That's fine, I was 80% out the door to Verizon anyway. Better LTE coverage in all major markets and iPhone 5s with better international flexibiity.

Point is, I do hope that there's significant business value for AT&T corporate to continue with an unflexible set of sectored regional databases and only allow business to join the existing national database. (e.g., it prevents them from anti-trust litigation somehow?) Because otherwise it seems an asinine decision when facing a generation of cell phone only customers (those of us in late-20s and early 30s) who would expect our service provider to be able to adjust as we get married and move around the country.

-- John

12 of 35 (9,792 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2012 3:47:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
I'd imagine the rationale behind the decision is making sure that members of a family plan are actually family that lives together, and most families that live together have phone numbers from the same market. Sure, that may change over time and I can see how it seems inappropriate in your case. In fairness, you are just as inflexible with not changing your number.

If you feel another carrier better fits your needs, then it makes sense for you to change. I hope your information is accurate.

13 of 35 (9,723 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2012 6:46:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

That's a good point, MicCheck, it seems more likely that rationale it to keep folks from creating "families" as a way to cut spending.

My reasons for keeping my number is less about steadfast inflexibility than it is a simple cost benefit analysis. Right now, since we're both out of contract, the costs of switching are only the hassle of going through the process and not being able to have simultaneous voice and data. The benefits are that my wife and I will keep our current numbers, will be on a shared plan, and will have more LTE coverage.

The other side is that staying with AT&T would have the benefit of us on a shared plan with simultaneous voice and data. But the cost is that one of us would need to change our number, which inconveniences not just me but propagates a small inconvenience through to all the people who have my number.

Given those scenarios, I feel I'm better off switching and I don't have enough brand loyalty to act against that self-interest. (Note, the reason for my original post was that if I did not have to switch numbers and could easily transition to a shared plan, the only cost to staying would be not getting expanded LTE coverage. That'd be an acceptable trade off because AT&T already covers my area and I believe they will expand rapidly nationwide.)

On AT&Ts side, one must hope that allowing different markets to combine on one family plan would cost them more than they'd gain by changing policy to keep customers like me. If not, the company is acting against it's self-interest.

However, judging that there are nearing 100 views of this topic just today, I'd suggest it might be worth confirming those calculations.

14 of 35 (9,704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2012 2:21:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Was the Google Voice option not a viable solution for you?

15 of 35 (9,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2012 2:56:21 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by noxinwj on Sep 27, 2012 at 3:21:09 PM

Not really, although I did think through it to make the decision.

The Google Voice option seemed like it adds unnecessary complexity to the system (paying to register my old number at a new account with a third party who would then forward it to a new number) when there were simpler solutions available that achieved the same end. I would either need to assign a higher value to simultaneous voice and data or have much stronger brand loyalty.

AT&T offers a similar call forwarding option but it requires you to keep your other account open and have it forwarded to a new one. So you end up paying fully for two accounts every month. Obviously, that's much worse than the Google option which only costs $20 once.

I guess the crux of it, though, is not if alternative solutions exist, but why if other service providers will combine markets AND AT&T itself will combine markets you hold an easily acquired government issued EIN, does AT&T have a policy that prevent's individuals from combining accounts? (And, as I said earlier, if all it takes is 9 digits issues by the government to suddenly make it possible, but other carriers don't require that, then it must be a choice that has been made by AT&T - not an absolute requirement). That's the biggest disappointment - and the frustration is that no one seems to be able to say why that choice was made - only that it exists. The best explanation is MicCheck's offer that it prevents fraud of false family accounts, and that is a greater risk to revenue than customer loss.

[ Edited ]
16 of 35 (9,610 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2012 10:10:34 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have been a loyal customer of ATT for 14 years.  And right now I'm facing the same problem.  Why should I give up my number I've had for 14 years?   ATT is extremely disappointing.

But since they refuse to give us solutions... only scripted apologies..... we the customers are forced to find our own.

I was wondering if this solution could work. 

1. Port my number to Metro PCS. 

2.  I'm not on contract with ATT, so cancel my account with ATT.

3. Stay with Metro PCS for 1 month under their no contract system.

4. Port my number back to ATT, and be able to join my girlfriends mobile share plan and keep my number.

Thoughts?

17 of 35 (9,187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2012 11:28:28 AM
(0)
Expert

eaglerider wrote:

I have been a loyal customer of ATT for 14 years.  And right now I'm facing the same problem.  Why should I give up my number I've had for 14 years?   ATT is extremely disappointing.

But since they refuse to give us solutions... only scripted apologies..... we the customers are forced to find our own.

I was wondering if this solution could work. 

1. Port my number to Metro PCS. 

2.  I'm not on contract with ATT, so cancel my account with ATT.

3. Stay with Metro PCS for 1 month under their no contract system.

4. Port my number back to ATT, and be able to join my girlfriends mobile share plan and keep my number.

Thoughts?

need more details on why your number cannot be joined to your girl friends mobile share - if it is becasue of different area codes, that would not work

18 of 35 (9,170 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2012 11:35:04 AM
(0)
Contributor

Yes. Our phone numbers have different area codes from different markets.

My phone number is Northern California, and her is from Southern California.

I was HOPING by porting my number into and out of Metro PCS it could be entered back into ATT in the same market as my girlfriends.

19 of 35 (9,168 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2012 12:33:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Your better option would be to port your number to Google Voice (for a one-time $20 fee) and take a new phone number from AT&T on your girlfriend's account.

Two things to consider: 1) your number on Google Voice wouldn't be able to receive MMS messages, so you would have to give out your new AT&T number to people that send you MMS messages 2) porting your number out would trigger an ETF on your account, if applicable.

20 of 35 (9,162 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2012 12:48:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

eaglerider wrote:

Yes. Our phone numbers have different area codes from different markets.

My phone number is Northern California, and her is from Southern California.

I was HOPING by porting my number into and out of Metro PCS it could be entered back into ATT in the same market as my girlfriends.

Nothing will make a northern California number into a southern California number. The area code decides which market it's in, so unless you or your girlfriend changes your phone number, AT&T won't let the two of you join a family plan.

21 of 35 (9,180 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2012 12:56:28 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks everyone for the quick responses.

I sadly accept defeat.

22 of 35 (9,175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2012 3:21:45 PM
(0)
Mentor

so does that mean that you can't be a military family using one family plan if you live across the country from each other and have different area codes?

23 of 35 (9,052 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2012 5:07:46 PM
(0)
Expert

satyr9 wrote:

so does that mean that you can't be a military family using one family plan if you live across the country from each other and have different area codes?

from personal expierence with employees that have spouses and kids in the military deployed though-out the country they always have the home area code and not the area code their base is in.

24 of 35 (9,028 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2012 7:38:48 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

satyr9 wrote:

That is correct. 

wingrider is right (and I speak from personal experience here) - most military folks will keep their Home of Record thier parent's address since they tend to move around a lot. 

--------------

25 of 35 (8,965 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2012 10:41:49 AM
(0)
Tutor

To tie off an earlier thread in this forum - I have confirmed my previous posts as accurate. Over this past weekend I went into a competitor store and within 10 minutes (!) my wife and I were on the same plan, had our old numbers ported over and were receiving calls on brand new iPhone 5 s. Our new monthly cost is the same as if we had been able to combine plans on AT&T (which we weren't), but it saves us $80/mo from the separate AT&T plans we were carrying before. 

One point of caution to anyone reading, though, is that your final bill from AT&T will be for the entire next month billing period without any pro-rating. Right now I am effectively paying for AT&T service for the next 20 days with no way of using it... So if you're going to switch, make sure you do it at the end of your billing cycle, not at the beginning.

26 of 35 (8,944 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2012 7:13:33 AM
(0)
Tutor

I am amazed that this problem is prominantly discussed on ATT forums, yet just yesterday an ATT rep claimed that it was an FCC restriction that prevented them from combining multiple markets on a Family Talk Plan.

Then when I asked the ATT rep what the actual FCC regulation was, he placed me on hold and disconnected the call.

Why do corporations find it ethical to lie and misrepresent in order to retain customers?  My family works for ATT (retired).

This is unacceptable.  Glad I am switching to Verizon.

27 of 35 (8,452 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2012 3:13:28 PM
(0)
Guru
Right now I wish I could combine out of market numbers on a family plan.

28 of 35 (8,422 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2012 9:15:07 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Pcube on Nov 10, 2012 at 9:15:21 PM

[Solution alert!!]

Verizon can do it. When I was signing up and starting a family plan (after ditching AT&T for extremely bad customer service, ranging from lies to surprise bill hikes and all around indebatable incompetence) Verizon OFFERED me the option to keep my old area code & get the other line on the new, local area code. I declined, but it goes to show that AT&T is lying through their teeth on this one... as usual...

Ye Olde At&t.... The most worthless of telecoms...

[ Edited ]
29 of 35 (8,363 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2012 11:55:52 AM
(0)
Mentor

jamileh wrote:

satyr9 wrote:

That is correct. 

wingrider is right (and I speak from personal experience here) - most military folks will keep their Home of Record thier parent's address since they tend to move around a lot. 

doesn't really address or help with combining two "in-law" military families on different coasts... :smileyfrustrated::smileysad:

30 of 35 (7,681 Views)