Need help understanding your bill?
tm4ever's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Monday, August 29th, 2011 12:30 PM

Phone Activation

I see through the online store a refurbished phone I have been considering.  Im not exactly ready to upgrade for the moment but dont want to miss out of getting this phone.  If I order the phone which would be for an existing up upgrade, how long would I have till I need to activate the new phone?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

1.4K Messages

13 years ago

If you are eligible for an upgrade, you can upgrade just fine, however the phone has to be activated within 14 days of shipment or your line can be suspended, and then if not activated within 30 days of shipment your line would be cancelled, billed ETF (of original contract if you still have one) and full retail for phone

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

13 years ago

@tm4ever wrote:

I see through the online store a refurbished phone I have been considering.  Im not exactly ready to upgrade for the moment but dont want to miss out of getting this phone.  If I order the phone which would be for an existing up upgrade, how long would I have till I need to activate the new phone?

You can activate a phone at any time.  Your contact renews/extends at the point you purhcase the phone.  What phone?  If iPhone, wait for the new models and see what comes out in the next month.  Today's new phone will be tomorrows next generation phone especially if you are looking for a discount.  Refurbs will come and go and will be back usually.  If you do not need it, wait!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

I was looking at the Samsung Infuse.  I currently have an LG Incite smartphone that is grandfathered so I dont pay for a data plan.  Guess what Im curious about is I dont think the offer for the refurb will last long being this phone.  Was hoping to hold off a short while of having to pay for the dataplan.  I dont mind the contract renewal, just wondered if I dont acivate for 2 months will I still be okay?  Or will the data plan be added as soon as I purchase the phone?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

Also wanted to add if I wait 2 months then activate and use the phone does that mean my 2 year contract will start 2 months from now?

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

If you don't activate the phone right away to accept the terms of the new two year contract, you will get charged for the full price of the phone.

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

13 years ago

If the OP waits two months and has an issue and wants to return it, the 30 day trial period will be up and any exchanges will have to be handled as a warranty exchange.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

Thats a good point I hadnt thought about if I should run into a problem.  Was really trying to get a little closer to Christmas but couldnt pass up this for for only $19.  I just wasnt really ready to upgrade just yet but knew I probably couldnt afford the full price of the phone without the special that have right now.  From the answers though, sounds like I dont have a choice, I must activate the phone immediately which is what I was wondering.  Odd though, I have a GoPhone and at least they give you up to 26 days to activate it.  Just figured there would be a small window I could wait.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

If your not eligible for an upgrade you won't get it at the discounted price.

Mentor

• 

59 Messages

13 years ago

Also take note, if you upgrade, their may be prorated charges, activation fees, as well as upgrade fees...

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@MrKroppcircles wrote:

If you are eligible for an upgrade, you can upgrade just fine, however the phone has to be activated within 14 days of shipment or your line can be suspended, and then if not activated within 30 days of shipment your line would be cancelled, billed ETF (of original contract if you still have one) and full retail for phone

Sounds like a quadruple whammy to me. 😮

But that just goes to show you how serious AT&T is with their policies and terms. They are not letting customers get their own way with little tricks up their sleeves. 😉
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.