Reply
Posted Jun 19, 2012
Keeping DSL without phone service

At&T is my service provider for my land line as well as my DSL. I am thinking about porting my number to a VOIP provider other than AT&T. Since AT&T has my DSL service, customer service is telling me that if i cancel my phone service with them, i will lose the dsl service since "it comes in over the phone lines associated with the number". The "stand alone" DSL service, on the AT&T web site for the same service i have now, is 19.00 less per month!!!...I need to keep the at&t e mail adresses, since it's one used by my wife's business. HELP..I can port the number, and cancel all of my AT&T services, and then apply for new DSL service, right? As "standalone". What happens to my at&t e mail addresses? any advice/suggestions, etc will be appreciated. (the monthly savings with going to VOIP and reduced charges for DSL comes out to over 50.00/month!)

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
7-27-2012 3:08:41 PM
0
(0)

ictsoftail wrote:
Message to shs1451 and computer-joe: Thanks for this information, but I have a question for shs1451. Did you begin the landline transfer process by calling the 3rd party VOIP provider first, or by contacting AT&T first? I want to retain my land line number and use it with new VOIP service and still keep only my AT&T DSL. I have heard I must initiate the steps in a specific order to do this. Thanks

ICT: I had the VOIP provider initiate the request to release the number. What I learned, is, your phone and dsl service are considered as bundled (at least mine was, with at&t). so, they could not release my number and retain the same dsl service. I had to place an order for new dsl service concurrent with VOIP (oh (word filter avoidance)...Vonage!) requesting the release. it took a little longer than expected, but it's been worth it. i was without phone service for only a day or so, but once that number was released to vonage, it acted as though my service was still there, but all calls went to voice mail. and they have visual voice mail, so everytime someone leaves a message, i get an e mail and it's transcribed! when you call at&t, only speak to someone in the retention department. most of them know what to do, and how to do it. make certain that you get a order # for the new dsl service. kind of rambling! but i hope i've helped. feel free to e mail me if you need more info (CM edit - personal info removed) good luck

 

Accepted Solution

Keeping DSL without phone service

30,895 views
33 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Post reply
Replies
(33)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 20, 2012
0
(0)

shs1451 wrote:

At&T is my service provider for my land line as well as my DSL. I am thinking about porting my number to a VOIP provider other than AT&T. Since AT&T has my DSL service, customer service is telling me that if i cancel my phone service with them, i will lose the dsl service since "it comes in over the phone lines associated with the number". The "stand alone" DSL service, on the AT&T web site for the same service i have now, is 19.00 less per month!!!...I need to keep the at&t e mail adresses, since it's one used by my wife's business. HELP..I can port the number, and cancel all of my AT&T services, and then apply for new DSL service, right? As "standalone". What happens to my at&t e mail addresses? any advice/suggestions, etc will be appreciated. (the monthly savings with going to VOIP and reduced charges for DSL comes out to over 50.00/month!)



There should be no problem dropping your land line and keeping DSL. The person you spoke to was either talking out their butt, or just trying to keep you from cancelling the phone.

 

I would suggest calling the Retention Department. The quickest way in is to call the 2020 number, confirm your phone number when it asks, and then just keep saying "none of those" to the rest of the prompts and it will connect you to a real human (and American citizen) within a minute, that's when you tell them to transfer you to the Retention Department. You will usually have your problem resolved or a reolution in the works in less than 15 minutes as opposed to the hours (or days) it could take just trying to reach someone who understands what your talking about when you go through the normal chain of command.

 

 




__________________________________________________________
How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

                               neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 20, 2012
0
(0)

Thanks Computer-Joe...that was exactly what I thought! I should have thought about the retention department...I was just there a week ago for a business service issue! I agree, they're pretty good at resolving issues. I'll post the outcome once I decide to move forward. :smileywink:

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 20, 2012
0
(0)

Thanks for you post shs1451. Let me know if you need help. You can send me a private message, (blue envelope, top right), with your account number, contact number and full name and I'll do my best to assist. 

 

Thank you,

 

ATTJulieCS

AT&T Community Specialist

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 20, 2012
0
(0)

ATTJulieCS wrote:

Thanks for you post shs1451. Let me know if you need help. You can send me a private message, (blue envelope, top right), with your account number, contact number and full name and I'll do my best to assist. 

 

Thank you,

 

ATTJulieCS

AT&T Community Specialist


Thank you Julie. I appreciate that offer!

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 20, 2012
0
(0)

shs1451 wrote:

Thanks Computer-Joe...that was exactly what I thought! I should have thought about the retention department...I was just there a week ago for a business service issue! I agree, they're pretty good at resolving issues. I'll post the outcome once I decide to move forward. :smileywink:



The one thing to keep in mind is, that if you keep your current DSL and drop the landline, you won't have the landline charges on there any more, but your DSL charge will go up because it's no longer "bundled" with you landline service. The $19 price you were seeing/being told about, probably had some stipulations hidden in the small text somewhere. As well you really do not want them to turn off your DSL for any reason, if you really want to keep it. DSL ports can be rare as hens teeth in some areas and if you lose yours you may not be able to get it back.

 

 




__________________________________________________________
How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

                               neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 20, 2012
0
(0)

I understand that. the 19.00 was actually the difference in pricing. the at&t website has a "stand alone" price for the same dsl i currently have, for 24.95/month. I'm paying 43.00/month. i appreciate the input


Computer-Joe wrote:

shs1451 wrote:

Thanks Computer-Joe...that was exactly what I thought! I should have thought about the retention department...I was just there a week ago for a business service issue! I agree, they're pretty good at resolving issues. I'll post the outcome once I decide to move forward. :smileywink:



The one thing to keep in mind is, that if you keep your current DSL and drop the landline, you won't have the landline charges on there any more, but your DSL charge will go up because it's no longer "bundled" with you landline service. The $19 price you were seeing/being told about, probably had some stipulations hidden in the small text somewhere. As well you really do not want them to turn off your DSL for any reason, if you really want to keep it. DSL ports can be rare as hens teeth in some areas and if you lose yours you may not be able to get it back.

 

 




__________________________________________________________
How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell


 

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 26, 2012
0
(0)

shs1451 wrote:

I understand that. the 19.00 was actually the difference in pricing. the at&t website has a "stand alone" price for the same dsl i currently have, for 24.95/month. I'm paying 43.00/month. i appreciate the input


Computer-Joe wrote:

shs1451 wrote:

Thanks Computer-Joe...that was exactly what I thought! I should have thought about the retention department...I was just there a week ago for a business service issue! I agree, they're pretty good at resolving issues. I'll post the outcome once I decide to move forward. :smileywink:



The one thing to keep in mind is, that if you keep your current DSL and drop the landline, you won't have the landline charges on there any more, but your DSL charge will go up because it's no longer "bundled" with you landline service. The $19 price you were seeing/being told about, probably had some stipulations hidden in the small text somewhere. As well you really do not want them to turn off your DSL for any reason, if you really want to keep it. DSL ports can be rare as hens teeth in some areas and if you lose yours you may not be able to get it back.

 

 




__________________________________________________________
How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell


 


Today I spoke to someone in the retention department. Not only is everything resolved, but she also set me up w/new dsl service for 19.95 month instead of 43.00 (promotion for new service), she also waived any additional charges for me, set this up as a new service in order to avoid the 125.00 charge for a tech to come out, explained to me how to keep my existing e mail addresses......gave me her e mail address in case I need to contact her..etc.etc...without doubt, the most pleasant experience I've had with customer service in a very long time. THANK YOU RONICE!

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 27, 2012
0
(0)

shs1451 wrote:

 

Today I spoke to someone in the retention department. Not only is everything resolved, but she also set me up w/new dsl service for 19.95 month instead of 43.00 (promotion for new service), she also waived any additional charges for me, set this up as a new service in order to avoid the 125.00 charge for a tech to come out, explained to me how to keep my existing e mail addresses......gave me her e mail address in case I need to contact her..etc.etc...without doubt, the most pleasant experience I've had with customer service in a very long time. THANK YOU RONICE!



Glad you were able to get everything worked out satisfactorily. Be sure to stop back if you have any other problems.

 

 




__________________________________________________________
How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

                               neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 27, 2012
0
(0)
Message to shs1451 and computer-joe: Thanks for this information, but I have a question for shs1451. Did you begin the landline transfer process by calling the 3rd party VOIP provider first, or by contacting AT&T first? I want to retain my land line number and use it with new VOIP service and still keep only my AT&T DSL. I have heard I must initiate the steps in a specific order to do this. Thanks

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Jul 27, 2012
0
(0)

ictsoftail wrote:
Message to shs1451 and computer-joe: Thanks for this information, but I have a question for shs1451. Did you begin the landline transfer process by calling the 3rd party VOIP provider first, or by contacting AT&T first? I want to retain my land line number and use it with new VOIP service and still keep only my AT&T DSL. I have heard I must initiate the steps in a specific order to do this. Thanks

ICT: I had the VOIP provider initiate the request to release the number. What I learned, is, your phone and dsl service are considered as bundled (at least mine was, with at&t). so, they could not release my number and retain the same dsl service. I had to place an order for new dsl service concurrent with VOIP (oh (word filter avoidance)...Vonage!) requesting the release. it took a little longer than expected, but it's been worth it. i was without phone service for only a day or so, but once that number was released to vonage, it acted as though my service was still there, but all calls went to voice mail. and they have visual voice mail, so everytime someone leaves a message, i get an e mail and it's transcribed! when you call at&t, only speak to someone in the retention department. most of them know what to do, and how to do it. make certain that you get a order # for the new dsl service. kind of rambling! but i hope i've helped. feel free to e mail me if you need more info (CM edit - personal info removed) good luck

 

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

[ Edited ]
Solution
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 29, 2012
0
(0)
Thanks much shs1451

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 28, 2012
0
(0)

shs1451 wrote:



Today I spoke to someone in the retention department. Not only is everything resolved, but she also set me up w/new dsl service for 19.95 month instead of 43.00 (promotion for new service), she also waived any additional charges for me, set this up as a new service in order to avoid the 125.00 charge for a tech to come out, explained to me how to keep my existing e mail addresses......gave me her e mail address in case I need to contact her..etc.etc...without doubt, the most pleasant experience I've had with customer service in a very long time. THANK YOU RONICE!


Wow!  How in the world do I get ahold of Ronice in the Retention Department?  I would like to start with her!

 

Carol

 

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 23, 2013
0
(0)

Hi shs1451,  Were you able to resolve this issue? The question that I had was did AT&T request you to signup for a new DSL line and give you new email account or were you able to transfer or keep the existing emails on the new DSL line. 

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 23, 2013
0
(0)

yes. this issue was resolved. we cancelled my existing dsl and replaced with a new one. they do issue a new e mail address, but you also retain any existing at&t addresses. hope this helps

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 9, 2013
0
(0)

Julie, I saw your post here and wonder if you'd help me with this same problem.  I'm an AT&T customer in Downers Grove, IL (60515) and need to transfer our land line to T-Mobile cellular, cancel our AT&T land line, but keep our AT&T DSL.  I sent you a private message.

 

Tom

 

 

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service
 

Thanks for you post shs1451. Let me know if you need help. You can send me a private message, (blue envelope, top right), with your account number, contact number and full name and I'll do my best to assist. 

 

Thank you,

 

ATTJulieCS

AT&T Community Specialist

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an"Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 13, 2013
0
(0)

cipherdom wrote:

Julie, I saw your post here and wonder if you'd help me with this same problem.  I'm an AT&T customer in Downers Grove, IL (60515) and need to transfer our land line to T-Mobile cellular, cancel our AT&T land line, but keep our AT&T DSL.  I sent you a private message.

 

Tom

 

 

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service
 

Thanks for you post shs1451. Let me know if you need help. You can send me a private message, (blue envelope, top right), with your account number, contact number and full name and I'll do my best to assist. 

 

Thank you,

 

ATTJulieCS

AT&T Community Specialist

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an"Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.


Tom, were you able to make this change?  If so,were you satisfied with the process?

 

I am considering the same thing:  Drop my landline phone service, move that phone number to T-Mobile Cellular, and keep my AT&T DSL service.  I'd appreciate hearing your experience and any hints/instructions in the process.

 

Thanks,

 

 Mark

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 1, 2013
0
(0)

I have similar situation. I hope you could help me. I called the Retension Center and the lady told me that my area no longer has At&t DSL. I have Netzero DSL right now. I'm trying to get rid of my land line with AT&t but the Netzero doesn't have stand alone DSL service. So per your suggestion I thought I should change to AT&T DSL. But instead I ended up with Uverse. Do they no longer have stand alone DSL in Chicago? I don't  know what to believe.

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 22, 2013
0
(0)

I have 6 phone numbers through AT&T U Verse, and internet.  If I port my phone numbers to a new carrier, do I have to order a new DSL service to separate the internet from the phone lines prior to porting to avoid any interference with my internet?

 

When you order a new DSL service, is it a physical change?  Does AT&T come out and install a new line for the new DSL? 

Thanks for your help!

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 23, 2013
0
(0)

I have 6 phone lines and internet through U-Verse.  Can I port 4 of my lines without interrupting my internet?

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 19, 2014
0
(0)

att is forcing people off dsl and on to their terrible u-verse products...sevices...what ever you want to call them. I call them exspensive and unfair! I accepted a FREE 30 day U-verse trial, that came with all kinds of incentives, and when I cancelled 10 days later they told me I could not go back to DSL. (which cost half of what u-verse will cost even with promotional pricing)  With att for over 30 years, not once having missed a single payment on time, I have always been able to resolve my issues with them. Well, it's been a long and, sometimes rocky road, ATT...but nobody forces me to jump over anything.

When they came out to install U-verse they 'stold' my dsl modem, that I had to buy from att a few years back. I paid 100.00 bucks for it. Now they want to credit my u-verse account 100.00, all in effort to hold on to me. Yes, I'm sure att would love to keep such a faithfull paying customer...but tricking me into permanently losing my dsl, and therefore pull more money out my -SS -- 4 U ATT? I'm not going to jump anymore rocks. I'm rolling this one over and squashing Att's existance in my life from here on. 

Look out, there coming for your DSL...any way they can.

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 19, 2014
0
(0)
At&t has u verse dsl stand alone. I've had it for over a year. We just renegotiated our renewal from 51.00/mo to half (25.50).
Good luck..


Sheldon

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 25, 2014
0
(0)

wondering if everyone is getting this issue resolved.  I want to keep my current DSL service (we have been well pleased) and discontinue our landline which we never use.  If this cannot be accomplished we will cancel both and go with another internet provider.

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 5, 2014
0
(0)

debilou9559, Were you able to drop your land line and keep your DSL?  That's what I want to do, but it has always been a nightmare dealing with AT&T.  The last time I made a change to my service it was because some rep called ME and the bundle he sold me sounded good but my next 8 bills were enormous and full of errors and things I did not even order. I had to call and stay on the phone with them for hours at a time every single month until my bill was corrected and I still ended up losing out because of disconnect fees, etc. because this went on for several months past the time I had to cancel these unauthorized charges that I did not even know what they were. Conveniently, the rep that lied to me was "no longer working there, Joe Barczak".   Now it has been correct for the past 6 months or so and I don't know what to do. 

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 5, 2014
0
(0)
Yes you can drop your land line and keep dsl but you'll have cancel both first and place an order for new del service. They should be able to coordinate the 2 within a couple of days of each other. Your new dsl will be u verse service. In order to get the best price make sure you let them know that you have other options for service and check those out.  I'm getting 50% off every month. 
Good luck. 


Sheldon

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 5, 2014
0
(0)

Thank you for the info.  The only thing is I do not want u-verse, I've heard it is not as good as DSL.  Why are they making everyone switch to u-verse when they want to change something, is it better?  

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 5, 2014
0
(0)
U verse is all they have now. It's still dsl.  I don't find it any better or worse. You can always check other options like time Warner or whoever else in your area provides that service. 
Good luck

Sheldon

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 9, 2014
0
(0)

I just checked my phone # and address on AT&T and it says U-verse is not available.  Is it not every where now?  Back in 2001 I started my own real estate business and I've always had a home office.  I wanted my phone # to be in the phone book under my business name so I switched my home phone # to a business phone #.  Could that be why it is coming up as "not available", because it is considering my address a business?  Is it not available to businesses? Now I plan to drop my landline so there is no need for a business phone #.  How can I go back to a residential plan if that is what the problem is?  I appreciate all your help, thank you!  

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 9, 2014
0
(0)
I suggest you contact at&t directly. Apparently u verse has not been implemented in all areas yet. I doubt it has anything to do with the account type. 


Sheldon

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 9, 2014
0
(0)

I was told it would be best to call and cancel everything and then start all over with ONLY DSL.  Do you think that is the way to go?  How do I keep from losing my bellsouth.net email address if I do that? 

Re: Keeping DSL without phone service

Share this post
Share this post