Posted Dec 22, 2013
Internet services security center

I received 2 emails a couple of days apart that say they are from AT&T internet services security center and that they have detected bot net traffic , are these legit? I did a security scan and nothing was detected not sure how to proceed, can some one help

Internet services security center

2 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 23, 2013
(0)

Hello, Gregonesl!

Thanks for posting. You're right to be cautious about e-mails with suspcious links. Here is some information from Intuit that may help.

"Here are some questions to ask if you think you have received a phishing attack:

1. Do you know the sender of the email? If yes, still be cautious before clicking a link. If no, do not click any links.
  2. Are there any attachments in the email? If so, is the attachment an executable (a file with the extension .exe, .bat, .com, .vbs, .reg, .msi, .pif, .pl, .php)? If so, do not click on the attachment. Even if the file does not contain one of the above mentioned extensions, be cautious about opening it. Contact the sender to verify its contents.
  3. Does the email request personal information? If so, do not reply.
  4. Does the email contain grammatical errors? If so, be suspicious.
  5. If you have a relationship with the company, are they addressing you by name?
  6. Have you checked the link? Mouse over the link and check the URL. Does it look legitimate or does it look like it will take you to a different Web site?"---source

Click on the link below for more helpful information about protecting yourself from phishing scams.

Phishing, pharming, vishing, and smishing

Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Mariana

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Internet services security center

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 26, 2013
(0)

The e-mail says it is from AT&T IISS Network Securitythat is why I sent the question to you, does AT&T send out this type of message. It does contain my name the last 4 digits of my account number and a site ID. This is the contents

At&T has received information indicating that one or more devices using your internet connection may be part of a zombie comouter network ("botnet"). Internet traffic consistent with a bot infection was observed on ( had a date, time and IP address. Our records indicate that this ip address was assigned to you at this time. Infection details

Type : zeroAccess

Source port, shows a 5 digit number

Destination IP 24 xx xx xx

destination port, shows a 5 digit number

for security reasons the destination IP is partially obscured

it then goes on to say I should update security software , make sure my wireless router is pass word potected, I use your equipment it then says after I have taken action I should go to abuse@att.net and reply .Is this a legitiment e mail from AT&T security?

Re: Internet services security center