Need help understanding your bill?
nepwisil's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, September 16th, 2014 12:50 AM

How to deal with my account in this case?

A few weeks ago, I came to the US and got my first SIM card in AT&T, but I neither brought my passport nor any license that day. So I guess by now I am still not a authorized or registerd customer(I don't know if I use the right terms to define my present status). And that day I was also added into a family plan by a primary holder here. 

Here comes my question! What shall I do if I want to leave that family plan but still want to use the number which I have now? I was told by the primary holder that she could just make a call to release me from current family plan but in that way my number would be cancelled. Is that true? Is there any way to get me out of the family plan but still keep my number? If there is, how many days prior to the monthly-billing day shall I make that request to AT&T? 

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

If you purchased your phone under a contract, then you should be able to perform a "transfer of billing responsibility" for the line you currently have.  That would open a new account for you (under your name), and then transfer that one phone to the new account.  This would keep your line active, you keep the same number, and the only change to the contract would be the name of the person responsible for meeting the obligations.

If you purchaed the phone out right, then you should be able to do the same, but you could also possibly use the number porting to move the number from the current AT&T account into a new account you open with AT&T.

Keep in mind that with either of the above choices, you will be opening a new account with AT&T.  This means that they will perform a US Credit Check on you, and you may (most likely will) have to pay a security deposit with AT&T to open that account.

If you purchased your phoneusing AT&T NEXT, there is no option to transfer that billing, so you would need to pay off the full balance on the phone before you could move it to a new account.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

What if I want to change my carrier into T-mobile? Is it possible that changing into T-moblie without cancelling my current number?

I am looking forward to your reply. Thanks so much.   

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

What if I want to change my carrier into T-mobile? Is it possible that changing into T-moblie without cancelling my current number?

Mentor

• 

81 Messages

10 years ago

@nepwisil wrote:

@nepwisil If you want to keep your current phone number, but activate service with T-Mobile you need to do what is called "porting" your number. You need to visit a T-Mobile store and let them know that you have an existing number with AT&T and you want to move the number and activate service with them. They will initiate the process and once everything is processed, then your account with AT&T will be cancelled, you will keep your number and have service with T-Mobile. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.