For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
HPLouis's profile

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

Tuesday, August 12th, 2014 7:00 PM

Do I have to stay on Next?

Hello,

I'm currently on Next on the 20 month plan.  I was told that once I pay 2 months, I can accelerate my payments and upgrade early.  My plan, after my next bill, is to call ATT, pay the 10 months off, and get another phone.

Here's where it gets sticky.  I would like to go back on contract.  One rep says I can.  Once I give back the phone, I can do whatever I want.  I can go on Next or go on contract.  Another rep says that once i start on Next, I have to stay on it and the only way off is to totally pay off the phone, and then I can move back to contract.

Who is correct? 

Thanks,

Henry

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

10 years ago

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB420710&cv=820&gnLinkId=t4023#fbid=ZjvIPDmNNS4

"Once you trade-in your AT&T Next smartphone, no further payments are due for that smartphone. To upgrade, the new smartphone purchase is subject to then-available offers which may include purchase with a two-year service agreement or purchase under a new installment agreement."

Here's what I found on the AT&T website. It looks like once the phone is traded in, you can choose to go back on contract.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

10 years ago

I'm editing my response, as I see different information on AT&T's website now.  I copied the relevant text from the website below:

Can I upgrade my AT&T Next smartphone earlier than 12 or 18 months?

Yes, you can. After you have been billed and made two monthly installment payments, as long as your account is in good standing, you are eligible to take advantage of our Pay to Upgrade option.

To reach upgrade status, you will need to pay your remaining installments in one lump sum. For AT&T Next 12, pay a lump sum amount that equals 12 installment payments. For AT&T Next 18, pay a lump sum amount that equals 18 installment payments. When paid, you are eligible to trade in your AT&T Next smartphone.

Please note that to trade in your smartphone, it must be in good physical condition and fully functional.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

10 years ago

This leads to my own question, as the policy doesn't make sense to me.  If the customer has already made two payments, why does the lump sum have to be in the amount of 12 or 18 months' worth?  Why wouldn't it be 10 or 16 since two months have already been paid?

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

10 years ago

It would have to equal 12 monthly payments.  So if I paid 2 months, then I can pay 10 and upgrade, or, if I paid 6 months already, I can pay another 6 months and move up.

This is all on the 20 month plan

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

10 years ago

Now, my question is, can I upgrade and get back on contract or do I have to upgrade through Next only?

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

From what I understand, if you want to go back on contract, you need to pay off your phone in full. If you only pay off until the point of NEXT upgrade, you have to stay on NEXT.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

Just remember that if you are also on the mobile share plan and getting a discount on your monthly device charge, you will lose that discount if you upgrade at the 2 year contract price.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

After being on Next, why do you want to go back on contract? 

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

10 years ago

You have to make a total of 12 or 18 payments, including any that have already been made.  So if you pay for 2 and then you pay 10 off right away, then you can upgrade immediately.

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

10 years ago

Seems like a trick, why would you want to go back on another two year contract after paying off a phone in full? It seems like ATT's way of making sure they squeeze every penny out of you.

You're bound to ATT Next now and lets say you plan on switching to Sprint because ATT preorders are horrible, well unless you pay off the remainder of the phone, you won't be released from your contract. The remaining of the phone can total up to $300 or more.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.