Need help understanding your bill?
nioby10's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, July 2nd, 2012 8:40 AM

Do I have to have a data plan for my smartphone?

So i have att and i hate that you need a data plan to buy a smartphone. so i this is what i do..  i buy a smartphone and get a data plan on it ( i get the lowest one 20$)  after a week or two i call say something happened to the phone and is no longer usable (water damage , bricked , exploded ,dropped , cracked blah blah blah) and i would like to cancel my data plan thats it thats all you gotta do.. all those lies about the phone wont work or it wont turn on if u dont have a data plan arent real. also its might help if you put ur sim in a different phone for 24 hours and then call so it doesnt look like ur still using it well i think thats it comment if u have any questions

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

I think I did elaborate that the bands' were off. That antennas were not correct, nor fimware. you think it is far fetched - but to start launching multipurpose sats that enable low level wifi data transfer is not beyond 2020 and the projected life span of the current GPS satellites were 15 years. Also who usally gets the old bands when the military retires them and those are low bands?  The amount of data/bandwidth the 64 iridium  setup enables. These satellites take the war agianst fiberobtic at effective 64 mb speeds and do you know the money involved in bell south and att merger alone was 89 billion. Bill gates couldnt buy that.

The morale of this is in data is not a  commoditie, nor will comunication be for long. In a failing economy service providers have reaped billions overpricing this service and continue to do so and imagine there pockets fatter. What is the difference in just going with the grain befor they get called out on it audited draged to court and lose every thing. I would love to see a bill pushed through congress backed by the FCC to stop making billions and excessive charging on communication, COMMUNICATION NEEDS TO BE REGULATED .

It is literally ruining americas finacial situation the amount of software code to make

more cell plans at a baseline 3G capp is a weeks worth of code, thus giving the option to chose data and speed package might be a partial solution. Its just horrible how few choices included in texting. Still that is not a solution 89 billion + is f all money - they are doing just that. Well do you know what I have to say about that. 

I work cleaning elctronic ark funace dust in 100+ weather for 9.25 an hour, I hardly get an entires days work . I have to live a simplified version of he** to pay this bill. The rest of my life is x5 worse so how does Att figure that  capitalizing on the hard working american is going to float very long. We all work hard these days so should carriers to provide a modest fee work hard to --- notice how all the numbers are rounded  smart phone fee, data fee thats a clear indication they make this up or round this up.

Now all I really want is to be able to use a freaking smartphone in 2014 without data and not to be told there is any behind the scenes marketing etc they can start giving a little back so its not so obvious what they are doing.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

AT&T, also known as the American Telephone and Telegraph Company, had virtually monopolized the phone market, and the U.S. Government ordered the company to break-up. Hey goverment there back at it. LOL babie bells - mothership http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-businessmen/companies/att-net-worth/

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

It appears that when the goverment chopped the head off this beast it revealed  the form of  a hydra - greek mythology and ultimately continued on its merry way. Goverment needs to have some reins on it.

Monopolizing there is a broad array of ways to do it and being unmodest in pricing  doesnt help when you get draged to court for it.

The only acceptible awnser is that att has to jack up prices, capp data add misc charges for smart phones to elude monoplizing allegations to elude simply being the best. Self evident att 'non major resellers get better pricing.

Part of me wants att to fail but that same part really wants me to see them win. Crank up the competition or go home stop wasting are time cash out befor the goverment makes you catch out.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Become a company for the people and the goverment becomes the bad guy. Right now they would look excellent to put you in your place since att cant find that medium or conduct buisness proper.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

They gradually reduce their services to favor their profits, all about corporate greed.

They think we are going to sit here and take it laying down. 

You all wait until they remove the subsidies and force the Next program down your throats.

I am going to make an appointment in the store and ask for proof of my agreement to their new terms of service as I need it for legal action against ATT.  

I have been a customer for 10 years and I want to stick to the "original" more favorable terms/agreement.  

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

After calling to remove the $30 plan on my 11 year old daughters phone for the 4th time in 5 months I am at the end of this.  Each time I call, the customer service rep is less patient and more rude.  Guess that is expected since half of the people calling are *** about being charged for something they are not using, did not ask for and do not want.

[Inappropriate content removed]

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

The original wirless T&C included something like this

1.3   Can AT&T Change My Terms And Rates?

We may change any terms, conditions, rates, fees, expenses, or charges regarding your Services at any time. We will provide you with notice of material changes (other than changes to governmental fees, proportional charges for governmental mandates, roaming rates or administrative charges) either in your monthly bill or separately. You understand and agree that State and Federal Universal Service Fees and other governmentally imposed fees, whether or not assessed directly upon you, may be increased based upon the government's or our calculations.

Your T&C have been changed, irrevocably.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Notice is a contorted word when dealing with att. Ive always used the definition '

notification or warning of something. There is no warning or notification with applicable time to reverse charges and comply with contract it. It is not a notice that brings to your attention anything that you could infact change prior to att making changes. That notice word does not elaborate literally what is going on. And what if I have sms blocked and dont recieve texting are you gonna mail it.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

10 years ago

Text messages from AT&T come through, even if you have SMS/MMS blocked on your line.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

You do not need to have a data plan. Agree to"pay as you go," explain you understand that it is an expensive option if someone uses cellular data. This is how I had upgraded our two phones. I received an email explaining I would be put on a plane. I asked, how much data had I used. They acknowledged none was used. The attended said it is a smartphone and must have a plan, twice. To. which I responded, no, you don't have to have a plan, I will pay as I go, she said hang on and said ok.

For heavens sake, ensure your cellular data is turned OFF under settings! I have operated this way for several years. Good luck.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@Trench Mouth wrote:

You do not need to have a data plan. Agree to"pay as you go," explain you understand that it is an expensive option if someone uses cellular data. This is how I had upgraded our two phones. I received an email explaining I would be put on a plane. I asked, how much data had I used. They acknowledged none was used. The attended said it is a smartphone and must have a plan, twice. To. which I responded, no, you don't have to have a plan, I will pay as I go, she said hang on and said ok.

For heavens sake, ensure your cellular data is turned OFF under settings! I have operated this way for several years. Good luck.

If you have a smart phone and you have a legacy post paid plan, you are required to have a data plan. If you somehow have avoided it, you are an exception.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.