Posted Nov 12, 2012
7:15:11 AM
Dissatisfi​ed with data policy

I recently upgraded from a HTC Aria to a HTC Vivid.  I had no problems with upgrading.  My wife was having issues with her Pantec phone she upgraded several months ago, so I removed her sim card and installed it in my old HTC Aria, and turn off the data access.  Everything worked perfectly and she was very happy.

A few days later, she received a text message that a data plan has been added to her phone...  What?  Were on a fixed income and this is a big issue for us.

I called ATT customer support and told them what had happened and they stated that all smart phones require a data plan.  The fact is that a smart phone DOES NOT require a data plan to work property, this is not a technical issue with the phone, but an ATT policy issue and it sucks.

I will no longer stand behind ATT as I have for so many years.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 12, 2012 1:12:14 PM
(0)
Scholar

The Terms & Conditions that you signed up for do state that if you have a smartphone, AT&T can and will add a data plan.

Wireless Customer Agreement / Terms & Conditions -

6.3    What Are The Voice And Data Plan Requirements?
A voice plan is required on all voice-capable Devices, unless specifically noted otherwise in the terms governing your plan.

An eligible tiered pricing data plan is required for certain Devices, including iPhones and other designated Smartphones. Eligible voice and tiered pricing data plans cover voice and data usage in the U.S. and do not cover International voice and data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using a voice-capable Device without a voice plan, or that you are using an iPhone or designated Smartphone without an eligible voice and tiered data plan, AT&T reserves the right to switch you to the required plan or plans and bill you the appropriate monthly fees. In the case of the tiered data plan, you will be placed on the data plan which provides you with the greatest monthly data usage allowance. If you determine that you do not require that much data usage in a month, you may request a lower data tier at a lower monthly recurring fee.

If you don't want a data plan, it's simple: get a non smartphone. Either by purchasing one outright, using your upgrade or get a cheap gophone and use it on your account. :smileywink:

Accepted Solution

Dissatisfi​ed with data policy

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2012 8:47:23 AM
(0)
Employee

You're right, it's not the phone that requires it to function, but AT&T requires that any smartphone on their network has a data plan. It's been there for few years and it's in the terms of service you've agreed to. All major carriers require a data plan on smartphones.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Dissatisfi​ed with data policy

2 of 21 (2,287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2012 9:19:27 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by dbellnier on Nov 12, 2012 at 9:20:37 AM

I can see requiring a data plan if you use it, but to require a data plan on a phone that is not using data, but capaible of using data is just another way to take more money for a serviice that is not requested.  I have done some research about this issue and found that I am not alone.  I am filling a complaint against against ATT with the FCC and BBB.

[ Edited ]
3 of 21 (2,280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2012 9:25:29 AM
(0)
Expert

dbellnier wrote:

I can see requiring a data plan if you use it, but to require a data plan on a phone that is not using data, but capaible of using data is just another way to such more money for a serviice that is not requested.  I have done some research about this issue and found that I am not alone.  I am filling a complaint against against ATT with the FCC and BBB.

might as well add verizon, sprint, to your complaint, all of the.m require a data plan on a smartphone. The binding terms satate that all smartphones require a data plan, been like that your years.

You can pick up a 49.00 att gophone and use that in place of the iphone - i know that works, my mother-in-law dropped her prone in a porta-potty just the other day

4 of 21 (2,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2012 9:25:55 AM
(0)
Mentor

Data Plans are required on all smart phones in order for them to function properly and as stated, it's in the terms of service that you agree to.  I'm not trying to be rude or anything so please don't be offended, but you should have known this already by signing your contract with us.  If you would like, please contact us by dialing the number in my signature below.  Thanks for your time. :smileyhappy:

5 of 21 (2,280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2012 9:30:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

Data Plans are NOT required on smart phones to function properly.  Get your technical facts straight.

6 of 21 (2,279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2012 9:46:30 AM
(0)
Expert

dbellnier wrote:

Data Plans are NOT required on smart phones to function properly.  Get your technical facts straight.

The technical facts are a non-issue - the binding terms of service and fair use policy specificly state that a data plan is required, you you add a device that requires one and there is not one present, one will be added to the account to bring it inline with the binding agreements. Donlt want a data plan, they switch out the smartphone

7 of 21 (2,273 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 12, 2012 1:12:14 PM
(0)
Scholar

The Terms & Conditions that you signed up for do state that if you have a smartphone, AT&T can and will add a data plan.

Wireless Customer Agreement / Terms & Conditions -

6.3    What Are The Voice And Data Plan Requirements?
A voice plan is required on all voice-capable Devices, unless specifically noted otherwise in the terms governing your plan.

An eligible tiered pricing data plan is required for certain Devices, including iPhones and other designated Smartphones. Eligible voice and tiered pricing data plans cover voice and data usage in the U.S. and do not cover International voice and data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using a voice-capable Device without a voice plan, or that you are using an iPhone or designated Smartphone without an eligible voice and tiered data plan, AT&T reserves the right to switch you to the required plan or plans and bill you the appropriate monthly fees. In the case of the tiered data plan, you will be placed on the data plan which provides you with the greatest monthly data usage allowance. If you determine that you do not require that much data usage in a month, you may request a lower data tier at a lower monthly recurring fee.

If you don't want a data plan, it's simple: get a non smartphone. Either by purchasing one outright, using your upgrade or get a cheap gophone and use it on your account. :smileywink:

Software development
Mobile software development
WiFi security
Graphic design
3D animation

8 of 21 (2,233 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2012 10:53:44 AM
(0)
Mentor

dbellnier wrote:

I recently upgraded from a HTC Aria to a HTC Vivid.  I had no problems with upgrading.  My wife was having issues with her Pantec phone she upgraded several months ago, so I removed her sim card and installed it in my old HTC Aria, and turn off the data access.  Everything worked perfectly and she was very happy.

A few days later, she received a text message that a data plan has been added to her phone...  What?  Were on a fixed income and this is a big issue for us.

I called ATT customer support and told them what had happened and they stated that all smart phones require a data plan.  The fact is that a smart phone DOES NOT require a data plan to work property, this is not a technical issue with the phone, but an ATT policy issue and it sucks.

I will no longer stand behind ATT as I have for so many years.

All carriers require a data plan to go with the use of a smartphone. If you don't need a data plan then use a non smartphone.

9 of 21 (2,017 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2012 2:42:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

A great solution for your problem here would be to sign up for a Mobile Share rate plan.

It offers unlimited talk and text messaging and a shared bucket of data between all lines on the account.

But the great part about it is that you can manage your account online right here and it'll show all your devices that are connected to the Mobile Share, and you can turn off data usage for any line on the account that you don't want to use the cellular data for that month.

The downside is that you pretty much have to do this every month as it'll reset with your billing cycle. But you can easily turn that inconvenience into a normal part of your day as you go online to pay your bill for the month, at the same time you can just click a button and remove that line from being able to use Data.

Kill two birds with one stone, sign up for the lowest Mobile Share plan available, and you might even be able to save some money in the long run. Don't quote me on that, but hey, it's better than being slapped with a $20 dollar data plan every month against your will due to ATT's contractual obligations.

10 of 21 (1,968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 8:06:56 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'd think the term and conditions is only applicable if you are signing the 2-years term contract, and to upgrade with a new devices.

But If I bought a smartphone myself, and contract is end. I basically is not under the obiligation with ATT , since I do not owe ATT for the device. I SHOULD NOT BE CHARGE for the data plan, whether or not ATT system can determind my phone is smartphone.

11 of 21 (1,503 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 9:04:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Unfortunately, that is not the case. It is AT&T's system and if you want to use it, you must abide by AT&T's rules. Your only other choice is to go to pay as you go. Then a data plan is not required. On normal plans, if you have a smartphone, a data plan is required if you want to use AT&T's service. Those are the rules and at the present time, there is nothing you can do about their rules.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

12 of 21 (1,485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 10:32:42 AM
(0)
Tutor
It's only a policy.

Re: Dissatisfi?ed with data policy

13 of 21 (1,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 10:45:58 AM
(0)
Scholar

ozzy85 wrote:

I'd think the term and conditions is only applicable if you are signing the 2-years term contract, and to upgrade with a new devices.

But If I bought a smartphone myself, and contract is end. I basically is not under the obiligation with ATT , since I do not owe ATT for the device. I SHOULD NOT BE CHARGE for the data plan, whether or not ATT system can determind my phone is smartphone.

If it is possible Tmobile offers a family plan that is $50 for the first phone $30 for the second and it includes 500 mb of data or for the one line you can add $10 for 2.5 gig or $20 for unlimited. It beats the heck out of at&t's pricing to make the data plan more bearable.  

14 of 21 (1,464 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 12:39:42 PM
(0)
Tutor
I totally agree with you. They say it's their policy, but its only a way
to suck all the money they can from you. One should not pay for something
they do not desire. I had many arguments with ATT, They initially told me
that a smart phone requires a data to operate correctly, well it does not.

I would suggest you file a complaint with the better business bureau (you
will get a call from ATT concerning your complaint.). Perhaps if enough
people complain, they may consider adjusting their policy.

15 of 21 (1,453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 1:30:39 PM
(0)
Expert

dbellnier wrote:

for what - read the terms of service and the fair use policy, data requirement has absolutely nothing to do with the 2 year contract, it has everything to do with the service agreement that that you sign with out looking at it. The policy won;t change, best bet if you want a smartphone without data is look at a gophone plan

16 of 21 (1,444 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 1:52:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

dbellnier wrote:

Complaining will not do anything. The ONLY way they will change their policy is if they lose MILLIONS (YES MILLIONS) of customers and that is not likely.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

17 of 21 (1,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2013 7:10:07 AM
(0)
Employee

I'm sorry to hear what happened with the data plan on there.   If you are looking to save money, they do have cell phone devices for Go Phones that start at around $20.00.   This would allow you to have a phone w/o a data plan for her to use.  

I'm not sure what type of plan you are currently on.  You can look into getting the $40.00 1GB mobile share plan and then its $45.00 per a phone on the account.   THis would come out to $130 month no including taxes or anything to where you can turn her data off.    

They are correct on the data part for the cell phones.  Its more towards, allowing the phone to use the cell phone network.   Due to the type of device it is what funcations it uses.     There is a plan she can add on for $20.00 a month for 300MB, then you can turn the cell phone data off on the cell phone.   HOpe this information helps. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

18 of 21 (1,365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2013 10:32:46 PM
(0)
Teacher
1. Why would you buy a smartphone without intending to use the data? Especially when using Android, the entire Operating System is data fueled to access most items on the phone.

2. The reason a smartphone is so low in price is because of the reoccurring data charge that users will pay yearly to operate the phone. 5 years ago, Smartphones were around $249-$349 because we're talking about a $500-$600 device that you're getting to purchase at about 10 to 25% of the cost of the phone.

3. When you bought your car, which takes gas to operate, did you threaten to sue the dealership because you had to purchase gas to drive it anywhere? Or purchase a TV, but fret about paying for the electricity to watch it? Hopefully the answer is no.

I am an AT&T customer and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions

19 of 21 (1,233 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2013 3:36:59 AM
(0)
Tutor
I gave my wife my old smart phone because I got a new one. She had no
desire for data access. I installed her SIM into my old phone I gave that
I gave her. A week or so later, ATT started charging me for data.

After several calls to ATT, filing a complaint with the FCC and the BBB, I
received a call from ATT. My wife is now using the HTC smart phone I gave
her, data is turned off on the phone, and ATT is no longer charging me for
data on that phone.

You should not have to pay for something that you do not use.

I have several Dish Network receivers that are capable of accessing much
more than I desire. Are they charging me extra just because my receivers
are capable of receiving more? No they are not.

20 of 21 (1,173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2013 5:32:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

I believe Dish is charging you more. Unless you watch every single channel you get, you're paying for channels you don't watch.

21 of 21 (1,134 Views)