Posted Nov 26, 2013
Device Unlock while on Next Program (Galaxy Note 3)

I travel extensively and have always had my phones unlocked by AT&T until today.  According to the CS rep @ 611, phones on the Next program cannot be unlocked because it does not meet the terms and conditions listed at /deviceunlock.

I asked to speak to his supervisor, and he seemed unsure but then agreed.  The folks at my local AT&T store were unaware of this and were the ones who confirmed I would be able to unlock during the purchase of the phone.

Is the above correct?  Can I not unlock the phone while on the Next program?? If so, why is this not communicated widely and made clear to dealers and CS personnel? 

It's a shame if AT&T can't resolve this because they'll lose my business.  I have multiple lines and services and have been a customer for over a decade.

Device Unlock while on Next Program (Galaxy Note 3)

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 26, 2013
(0)

Hello brianwon,

I'm sorry you were misinformed by a store representative, if you can give me more details about that location, I'd be happy to reach out and educate them, you can send me a private message by clicking here. The answer a customer service representative gave you is correct, here is a list of requirements that must be met in order to unlock any device:

General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking All AT&T Mobile Devices

AT&T will unlock an AT&T Mobile Device under the following circumstances:

• The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following:
    • a current AT&T customer
    • a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account
  • The AT&T Mobile Device was designed for use on AT&T's network.
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has been paid for in full.
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has not been reported lost or stolen.

This information is available to customers and employees here.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Community Manager

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Device Unlock while on Next Program (Galaxy Note 3)

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 26, 2013
(0)

Wall Street @ Water in NYC.

But why is the "Paid in Full" part of the requirements??

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 26, 2013
(0)

This letter from our Vice President of Federal Regulatory may help explain it a bit.

http://www.attpublicpolicy.com/wireless/bottom-line-we-unlock-our-customers%E2%80%99-devices/

Keep in mind that like it says near the bottom, this is directly in line with the reccomendation from the White House.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 26, 2013
(0)

brianwon wrote:

Wall Street @ Water in NYC.

But why is the "Paid in Full" part of the requirements??

Why not? It seems reasonable to me.  Usually, one has to pay full price for an unlocked phone if they get it outside of a carrier (like at the Apple store). 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 27, 2013
(0)

AT&T NEXT is a Lease Program.  (Or Lease to Buy if you choose to do so.)  It's like if you're leasing a car; they won't be giving you the title to the car unless you buy it out-right. Same goes for un-locking priviledges for the device.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 15, 2014
(0)

ATT is just a liar!

I bought my iphone 5s under NEXT program and after several months paid it in full by accelerating the payment. But i'm not able to unlock anyway! I've called ATT customer service regarding this issue over 10 times now, spent over 20 hours on this but they still can't give me ANY reason that why it can't be unlocked! i'm now very angry about it. ATT seems to be just a liar about this stupid program!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 15, 2014
(0)
Brand new models of phones are not unlocked for the first year or 2 in most instances.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 16, 2014
(0)

Why brand new phones can't be unlocked? I purchased the phone and now I OWN it. How on earth ATT can lock my own property???

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 16, 2014
(0)
If you want a new phone unlocked, BUY THE UNLOCKED MODEL. Don't buy the locked one and expect AT&T to unlock it. They have requirements that do not allow new models to be unlocked for a period of time.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 29, 2014
(0)

But that's very ridiculour isn't it?? ATT have explicit posting about requirements of unlock request, but even when customer fulfills all the requirements, they still deny the unlock request. What the heck logic is behind that???

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 29, 2014
(0)

@ATTDmitriyCM , I tried to follow the link you provided and do an online unlock. It showed me the form how to do it myself. I just have to fill in the fields. I believe I am eligible based on the items you posted. However, I got his message and could nout submit the form.

"Currently, this device cannot be unlocked"

I think its ridiculous. It does not even tell you why it cant be unlocked.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 29, 2014
(0)

I know some companies used to (prior to the new legal stuff) require minimum wait periods before releasing unlock codes for certain models. I don't if that's still true.

. What I do know is that between payments potentially being backed out within a few days and sometimes and extra couple of business days for the details to update for the unlocking team's systems. It would not surprise me, if you might need to wait a little bit and try again later to request the unlock, after you've finished paying off the phone.

Personally, if I still got a denied response after submitting it a week later, I'd request for an in depth research case, from customer care.

If you still keep getting a denied response, do you mind putting the reason given?

-Alex

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 29, 2014
(0)

Hello @tomgutz 

You can send a private message to ATTCustomerCare and we can check for you. Some newer phones might not have unlock codes available right away, but since it's account specific, one of our social media care managers will need to assist you. Please include your name, phone number and the best time you can be reached.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Community Manager

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2014
(0)

Hello @attdemitriyCM,

I was was hoping you may have some help with how to handle a galaxy note 3 unlock on the next plan with overseas military orders? We will not be canceling our contract but, we just need my husbands phone unlocked while deployed. I've called customer service countless times the last week and no one seems to be able to answer why they cannot unlock it on military orders...any suggestions? 

Thank you!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2014
(0)

Hey Navywife86,

What you're asking for is a grey area.

In theory, if the line is out of contract, it can get unlocked.

Military Personell, in most cases, will not be held responsible for their contracts, ie it gets waived for them at the time of cancellation.

There's nothing that I've seen, personally, that officially says it's able to be unlocked, but at the same time, when you submit the unlock request, via www.att.com/deviceunlock , there's a checkbox for military, at the bottom.

I knew someone who accidentally hit that, and they were sent an email requesting their orders.

I want to say, I strongly suspect you should be able to, and it's implied, but I just haven't seen anything definitive.

-Alex

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 20, 2014
(0)

I just started to look into this Next program.  1st question I had is carrier locked/unlocked.

If my math is correct, there is no financing charge under the Next program, so an Iphone5s costs $650, 20 month installment is $32.50 each.  After 12 months, you're eligible to trade in for a new phone.

If it's the same deal as if you're buying from an Apple Store, and if you can afford to pay up front, then why not buying directly from Apple?  At least you know you're getting an unlocked iphone!

The incentive I see are the 0% financing and no negative amount applied if upgrade after 12 months?  But there are many strings attached (ie Can't unlock until paid in full, Can't unlock until 2 yr mark, and even if you're eligible for unlock, you're still at ATT's mercy)

So what is so good with this Next program?  I am missing something?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 20, 2014
(0)

pantherman5 wrote:

I just started to look into this Next program.  1st question I had is carrier locked/unlocked.

If my math is correct, there is no financing charge under the Next program, so an Iphone5s costs $650, 20 month installment is $32.50 each.  After 12 months, you're eligible to trade in for a new phone.

If it's the same deal as if you're buying from an Apple Store, and if you can afford to pay up front, then why not buying directly from Apple?  At least you know you're getting an unlocked iphone!

The incentive I see are the 0% financing and no negative amount applied if upgrade after 12 months?  But there are many strings attached (ie Can't unlock until paid in full, Can't unlock until 2 yr mark, and even if you're eligible for unlock, you're still at ATT's mercy)

So what is so good with this Next program?  I am missing something?

If you get it from ATT is is carrier locked, you can only get a factory unlocked from Apple and only if you specificly request one. If you upgrade at 12 months you are required to either pay off the device so you can keep it or trade it in (good condition and working). When you pay off the device you can request the unlock.

The enticement is a new toy every 12 months on the program instead of every 24 months on a subsidized. As Apple releases a new Iphone about every 12 months, those the enter the Next program can upgrade when the new one hits the streets