Posted Feb 10, 2013
10:30:03 AM
Channel 99

Understanding  Channel 99.

When I call in and  explain my trouble to  the ATT tech.  The  technicians will argue with me that there is no channel ninety-nine.  I can tell you that  I have been viewing this channel for over a year.

Channel ninety-nine is  AT&T U-verse TV is  PEG (public, education, government) channel.

My trouble is with your Channel 99.  You can view this channel at 

http://uverseonline.att.net/uverse/peg    So please do not tell me that there is no channel ninety-nine.  I am tired of expanding the same thing repeatedly and getting no where.

My Trouble.

After selecting Channel 99.  it comes up on the screen ok.  With a list of cities in Orange counties.  From here I select what city I want to view.  I can watch programming provided by different community. Because I live in the city of Fullerton.  I select the city of Fullerton.   After selecting the city I get a message that Reads:  This video signal is currently unavailable. This has been going on now for about a month now.  Your Technications have no clue how to fix this problem and they do not seem to care.  Now I have notice that there is another city that is not working (Mission Viejo) Same message

(This video signal is currently unavailable)

Is there someone that cares and have the brains to repair this trouble?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Feb 10, 2013 12:18:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I found something interesting about how a city delivers the content to AT&T's PEG channel:

Referred to as a PEG (Public Education and Government Channel,) a city who wishes to provide their content on the U-Verse system must do so by streaming it LIVE over the internet, where AT&T then pulls the stream and provides it at the set-top level (the customer's home.) To stream this content, the city is required to purchase a large router with T1 capabilities, a Windows Media Encoder, and a small switch. The city is then provided a set of ip addresses by AT&T, which then must be configured into all the equipment. This process, if done by engineers at the city, can take weeks of configuring and testing.

http://www.emgebroadcasting.com/business/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50:atat-uverse-peg&catid=35:u-verse-peg-set-up&Itemid=54

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Channel 99

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 10, 2013 10:34:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Donald wb6ozz - Let me guess - It is the cities responsibility to provide a signal. Contact the city. If they say the are providing a signal, they need to work with at&t to make sure it is available.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Channel 99

2 of 16 (2,638 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 10, 2013 10:37:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by skeeterintexas on Feb 10, 2013 at 10:39:35 AM

Have you contacted the City of Fullerton and asked if they were actually broadcasting anything at this time?

Perhaps the words "This video signal is currently unavailable" means that there is nothing to broadcast.

Like aviewer says, it's a 50/50 deal with the government entities (city/school/county) and ATT.  ATT provides the channel.  It's up to the government or school district to utilitize it.

[ Edited ]
3 of 16 (2,638 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 10, 2013 11:28:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I've never checked out Ch. 99 in this area (Dallas/Ft. Worth) but was fascinated when I did.

There are over 22 different cities that have their own channel and some of those have up to 8 different options (Dallas).  They run the gamet from ISDs to church channels.  Some are functioning just fine, some are off the air, some have no audio, some are showing old cowboy shows.

It's like the wild wild west!

4 of 16 (2,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 10, 2013 11:53:33 AM
(0)
Tutor

I did contact the city.  Time Warner is where the vedio comes from. Besides it is the respondable of ATT to fix the problem no mine.  All the Time Warner people have no trouble with this,  just ATT.

DON 

5 of 16 (2,605 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 10, 2013 12:05:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Have you previously been able to watch content form the city of Fullerton on that channel?

6 of 16 (2,597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Feb 10, 2013 12:18:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I found something interesting about how a city delivers the content to AT&T's PEG channel:

Referred to as a PEG (Public Education and Government Channel,) a city who wishes to provide their content on the U-Verse system must do so by streaming it LIVE over the internet, where AT&T then pulls the stream and provides it at the set-top level (the customer's home.) To stream this content, the city is required to purchase a large router with T1 capabilities, a Windows Media Encoder, and a small switch. The city is then provided a set of ip addresses by AT&T, which then must be configured into all the equipment. This process, if done by engineers at the city, can take weeks of configuring and testing.

http://www.emgebroadcasting.com/business/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50:atat-uverse...

7 of 16 (2,587 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 10, 2013 12:28:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Donald wb6ozz - Then I suggest your next step is to send a pm to attcustomercare using this link with the details. You can refer to this trail.
They will follow up on a solution.
http://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

8 of 16 (2,579 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 10, 2013 12:43:24 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have been watching Channel 99 and the City of Fullerton video  for the lasrt two years with out any trouble. Something happen to the link between ATT and Time Warner and the tech suppport people have no idea how to fix or understand the problem..

DON

9 of 16 (2,569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 10, 2013 1:03:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Donald wb6ozz wrote:

I have been watching Channel 99 and the City of Fullerton video  for the lasrt two years with out any trouble. Something happen to the link between ATT and Time Warner and the tech suppport people have no idea how to fix or understand the problem..

DON

It will most likely take someone within the city government to work with ATT to get the local PEG up and running. 

Perhaps your city leaders will be more responsive to your concerns.

10 of 16 (2,536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 10, 2013 6:09:55 PM
(0)
Professor

skeeterintexas wrote:

Donald wb6ozz wrote:

DON

It will most likely take someone within the city government to work with ATT to get the local PEG up and running. 

Perhaps your city leaders will be more responsive to your concerns.

Like that is going to happen.  Our city dumped its PEG that it would no longer fund, and ended up making it self supporting, and the channel still is not able to even survive.  Most PEG's anymore for the most part are unwatched by 99% of the subscribers of Pay To Watch services.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

11 of 16 (2,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 12, 2013 7:10:00 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi.  I just sent you a private message in regards to your concerns.  Thanks. CathyW

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

12 of 16 (2,286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 12, 2013 1:29:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Feb 12, 2013 at 1:30:17 PM

skeeterintexas wrote:

I've never checked out Ch. 99 in this area (Dallas/Ft. Worth) but was fascinated when I did.

There are over 22 different cities that have their own channel and some of those have up to 8 different options (Dallas).  They run the gamet from ISDs to church channels.  Some are functioning just fine, some are off the air, some have no audio, some are showing old cowboy shows.

Skeeter - That is most likely how AT&T has the PEG's set up in most areas.  Instread of having a dedicated channel in each locale, AT&T has dumped all PEG's in a state or region.  There are likewise TONS of PEG's for my perusal.  I live in Indianapols.  I really really do not need to watch Library proceedings from Bedford, 70 miles away.

Channel 99 can't be recorded.  Some cities say that how AT&T is doing this is not legal but I really have no idea.  Our local PEG (Indy) is on Comcast on channel 16, which is such a low # that it caught folks tuning by.  You have to WANT to go to the PEG's on UV.

Don: Channel 99 is not actually a channel.  It is an app (like an application) and is assigned to 99.  That is probably why the Tech's said that there was no channel 99.

WB6OZZ?  KC9KDY!  QSL? :smileyvery-happy:

[ Edited ]
13 of 16 (2,253 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 12, 2013 3:50:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

dhascall wrote:

skeeterintexas wrote:

Skeeter - That is most likely how AT&T has the PEG's set up in most areas.  Instread of having a dedicated channel in each locale, AT&T has dumped all PEG's in a state or region.  There are likewise TONS of PEG's for my perusal.  I live in Indianapols.  I really really do not need to watch Library proceedings from Bedford, 70 miles away.

Channel 99 can't be recorded.  Some cities say that how AT&T is doing this is not legal but I really have no idea.  Our local PEG (Indy) is on Comcast on channel 16, which is such a low # that it caught folks tuning by.  You have to WANT to go to the PEG's on UV.

Don: Channel 99 is not actually a channel.  It is an app (like an application) and is assigned to 99.  That is probably why the Tech's said that there was no channel 99.

You're right...I should not have use the word 'channel'.  All 22 are there on Ch. 99.

14 of 16 (2,237 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 15, 2013 1:53:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

skeeterintexas wrote:

dhascall wrote:

skeeterintexas wrote:

You're right...I should not have use the word 'channel'.  All 22 are there on Ch. 99.

NP Skeeter - my channel analogy was aimed at Donald.

15 of 16 (2,157 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 16, 2013 7:16:02 AM
(0)
Tutor

Channel 99 ( Public Television) in Orange County, CA  is not available in all areas of the country.   It also could be on a different channel.   My wife and I like to watch this channel because of the city council meetings and other general information on what is going on in the city.   I have no idea how AT&T receive the city stations and neither has AT&T.  AT&T tech support is worthless.  They have no idea how their T.V. system works.  I find it amazing that they supply the service but cannot fix the problem.  The customers of  Time Warner have no trouble viewing the the city.    I think AT&T receive the signal from Time Warner then is sent to AT&T but I am not sure.  My next idea is to contact someone at Time Warner.  (If they will talk to me) 

Thanks for the help Dave.

Don

DE WB6OZZ 73s

16 of 16 (2,101 Views)