Reply
Posted Dec 3, 2013
2:41:26 AM
View profile
Can I get an AT&T account without SSN# because I am an international student currently in US?

Can I get an AT&T account without SSN# because I am an international student currently in US? I have been study in US for three years and still failed to have a AT&T account because I don't have a SSN#, I am four months away from 18th birthday. I just got my Iphone5S for thanksgiving gift and I wonder if I can ever get an account without SSN#.

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 3, 2013 9:40:19 AM
0
(0)
Expert

peterbdw wrote:

Can I get an AT&T account without SSN# because I am an international student currently in US? I have been study in US for three years and still failed to have a AT&T account because I don't have a SSN#, I am four months away from 18th birthday. I just got my Iphone5S for thanksgiving gift and I wonder if I can ever get an account without SSN#.


your best bet is to set it up as a gophone, no credit check, no secuirty deposit and you don;t have to be 18

 

 

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html

 

you want the 60.00 plan for everything to work on the iphone

Accepted Solution

Can I get an AT&T account without SSN# because I am an international student currently in US?

8,661 views
13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Post reply
Replies
(13)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 3, 2013 9:40:19 AM
0
(0)
Expert

peterbdw wrote:

Can I get an AT&T account without SSN# because I am an international student currently in US? I have been study in US for three years and still failed to have a AT&T account because I don't have a SSN#, I am four months away from 18th birthday. I just got my Iphone5S for thanksgiving gift and I wonder if I can ever get an account without SSN#.


your best bet is to set it up as a gophone, no credit check, no secuirty deposit and you don;t have to be 18

 

 

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html

 

you want the 60.00 plan for everything to work on the iphone

Re: Can I get an AT&T account without SSN# because I am an international student currently in US

2 of 14 (8,598 Views)
Solution
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 10:25:59 AM
0
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on Dec 3, 2013 at 10:26:45 AM

Hey peterbdw,

 

We do have accounts for customers' without SSN's, but your age and history makes me concerned that not only will you be required to wait until your birthday, but additionally pay have a deposit.

 

Like wingrider101, I reccomend you check instead if the phone can be used on goPhone service, ATT's prepaid. No credit checks or other similar requirements

 

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Can I get an AT&T account without SSN# because I am an international student currently in US

[ Edited ]
3 of 14 (8,592 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 3:27:16 PM
0
(0)
Contributor

Thank you for your reply. It is ok to pay a deposit but what does it mean " your age and history makes me concerned"

Re: Can I get an AT&T account without SSN# because I am an international student currently in US

4 of 14 (8,566 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 3:29:32 PM
0
(0)
Expert

peterbdw wrote:

Thank you for your reply. It is ok to pay a deposit but what does it mean " your age and history makes me concerned"


under 18 cannot enter into a contract, history refers to credit history, for a regular account if you have little, no or bad credit there can be a security deposit required of up to a 1000.00 that will be held for a period of 1 year before it is returned

Re: Can I get an AT&T account without SSN# because I am an international student currently in US

5 of 14 (8,564 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 4:14:36 PM
0
(0)
Guru
Check out Airvoice, Straight Talk, and T-Mobile. They have good prices for prepaid.

Re: Can I get an AT&T account without SSN# because I am an international student currently in US

6 of 14 (8,553 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 9:40:27 AM
0
(0)
Expert

harryspar wrote:
Check out Airvoice, Straight Talk, and T-Mobile. They have good prices for prepaid.

first off, it is a Iphone 5S, locked to att and since they never were a customer for att the phone cannot be unlocked, current unlock policy is only available for a current or previous att customer, second  the phone will be useless when they return home since it is locked to the carrier and cannot be unlocked

Re: Can I get an AT&T account without SSN# because I am an international student currently in US

7 of 14 (8,524 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 10:55:10 AM
0
(0)
Employee

wingrider01 wrote:

harryspar wrote:
Check out Airvoice, Straight Talk, and T-Mobile. They have good prices for prepaid.

first off, it is a Iphone 5S, locked to att and since they never were a customer for att the phone cannot be unlocked, current unlock policy is only available for a current or previous att customer, second  the phone will be useless when they return home since it is locked to the carrier and cannot be unlocked


Straight Talk is still an option since it actually uses the AT&T network and will work with AT&T compatible phones, locked or not.

 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Can I get an AT&T account without SSN# because I am an international student currently in US

8 of 14 (8,516 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 1:48:41 PM
0
(0)
Expert

sandblaster wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

harryspar wrote:
Check out Airvoice, Straight Talk, and T-Mobile. They have good prices for prepaid.

first off, it is a Iphone 5S, locked to att and since they never were a customer for att the phone cannot be unlocked, current unlock policy is only available for a current or previous att customer, second  the phone will be useless when they return home since it is locked to the carrier and cannot be unlocked


Straight Talk is still an option since it actually uses the AT&T network and will work with AT&T compatible phones, locked or not.

 


that was a general reference to 3rd party MVNO providers, not specificly for pointed at any one of them

Re: Can I get an AT&T account without SSN# because I am an international student currently in US

9 of 14 (8,506 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 3:17:39 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

sandblaster wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

harryspar wrote:
Check out Airvoice, Straight Talk, and T-Mobile. They have good prices for prepaid.

first off, it is a Iphone 5S, locked to att and since they never were a customer for att the phone cannot be unlocked, current unlock policy is only available for a current or previous att customer, second  the phone will be useless when they return home since it is locked to the carrier and cannot be unlocked


Straight Talk is still an option since it actually uses the AT&T network and will work with AT&T compatible phones, locked or not.

 


As of July, at least, Straight Talk no longer provided SIM cards for iPhones. That was major reason for me to swtich back from Straight Talk to Go Phone.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Can I get an AT&T account without SSN# because I am an international student currently in US

10 of 14 (8,487 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 6:39:06 AM
0
(0)
Employee

MicCheck wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

harryspar wrote:
Check out Airvoice, Straight Talk, and T-Mobile. They have good prices for prepaid.

first off, it is a Iphone 5S, locked to att and since they never were a customer for att the phone cannot be unlocked, current unlock policy is only available for a current or previous att customer, second  the phone will be useless when they return home since it is locked to the carrier and cannot be unlocked


Straight Talk is still an option since it actually uses the AT&T network and will work with AT&T compatible phones, locked or not.

 


As of July, at least, Straight Talk no longer provided SIM cards for iPhones. That was major reason for me to swtich back from Straight Talk to Go Phone.


They do sell sims for iphones, just has to be an iphone 4s or earlier model because they only seem to sell regular size and micro-sims, no nano-sims.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Can I get an AT&T account without SSN# because I am an international student currently in US

11 of 14 (8,466 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2013 6:34:05 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

sandblaster wrote:

MicCheck wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

harryspar wrote:
Check out Airvoice, Straight Talk, and T-Mobile. They have good prices for prepaid.

first off, it is a Iphone 5S, locked to att and since they never were a customer for att the phone cannot be unlocked, current unlock policy is only available for a current or previous att customer, second  the phone will be useless when they return home since it is locked to the carrier and cannot be unlocked


Straight Talk is still an option since it actually uses the AT&T network and will work with AT&T compatible phones, locked or not.

 


As of July, at least, Straight Talk no longer provided SIM cards for iPhones. That was major reason for me to swtich back from Straight Talk to Go Phone.


They do sell sims for iphones, just has to be an iphone 4s or earlier model because they only seem to sell regular size and micro-sims, no nano-sims.


I stand corrected. It actually appears they support the 5, too. I couldn't find that info in July when someone gave me an iPhone, which is why I actually switched back to GoPhone. Oh well, the service is much better with AT&T, anyway!

 

http://iphone.straighttalk.com/

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Can I get an AT&T account without SSN# because I am an international student currently in US

12 of 14 (8,441 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 7:35:44 AM
0
(0)
Employee
Peterbdw,
Thanks for your interest. My store has very high foreign exchange student traffic. We see many students that go with the go phone service we also see many that prefer the postpaid service. You will need to be 18 for postpaid service and without a SSN a deposit will usually be $500 but can vary. I would also suggest starting with go phone and you can consider switching to postpaid, if you'd prefer, when you turn 18.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Can I get an AT&T account without SSN# because I am an international student currently in US

13 of 14 (8,345 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2014 7:11:14 PM
0
(0)
Contributor
Edited by soniaurag on Mar 4, 2014 at 7:13:34 PM

Hi. I called att sales earlier because I wanted to convert my gophone into postpaid but I don't have a social he said it is required. If what you say is correct, what am I supposed to say or which store should I go? I have an iphone5 thats unlocked I just need a postpaid line. Added info, I had this gophone account for a year now and would like to retain the number. Thanks 

Re: Can I get an AT&T account without SSN# because I am an international student currently in US

[ Edited ]
14 of 14 (7,589 Views)
Share this post
Share this post