Posted Jul 4, 2013
Best option to change primary account name/number?

We have a family plan with three iPhones and one Android.  Our current plan is FamilyTalk Nation 700 with rollover, Family Messaging Unlimited with M2M Calling, Data Pro 2GB for each phone.  My husband and I are separated and will be divorcing.  His phone is the primary phone number for the account, with his name being the account holder.  I am an authorized user for the account.  I would like to have an account for my phone and our two children's phones, without my husband's phone being on the account.  Can I do that and keep the plans that we currently have? Is it my best option to transfer billing responsibility to me? We also have internet and a home phone on the same bill, both in his name.  I really would like to get this taken care of but I'm not sure how to go about it with the least amount of trouble.

Best option to change primary account name/number?

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 4, 2013
(0)
Voyager

Really, the only way to go about changing the name on the account is the TOBR (transfer). Though who ever owns the account has to start the process. 

If the account is in his name, unless you really want to keep the numbers you have for your phones, you could always just start a new account with you and your two children, get new numbers, and leave him with the old account, but then he would be stuck with three numbers he cant cancel if they are still under contract.

If you are still on good terms with him, have him start the transfer, its easy. You can go to att.com/transferservice to start everything.

Re: Best option to change primary account name/number?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 4, 2013
(0)
ACE - Expert

Bree26 wrote:

We have a family plan with three iPhones and one Android.  Our current plan is FamilyTalk Nation 700 with rollover, Family Messaging Unlimited with M2M Calling, Data Pro 2GB for each phone.  My husband and I are separated and will be divorcing.  His phone is the primary phone number for the account, with his name being the account holder.  I am an authorized user for the account.  I would like to have an account for my phone and our two children's phones, without my husband's phone being on the account.  Can I do that and keep the plans that we currently have? Is it my best option to transfer billing responsibility to me? We also have internet and a home phone on the same bill, both in his name.  I really would like to get this taken care of but I'm not sure how to go about it with the least amount of trouble.

As mentioned if you are on good terms with the your seperated husband ask him to initiate a TOBR to a new plan for you. In doing this you will lose and grandfathered features that are on the current plan. In your case the 3GB pro plan would have to be replaced with the 3GB plan or one of the new mobile share

With you being a authorized user I am not exactly sure if you would have the authorization to start the transfer. You can either call a CSR and talk to them or send a Private Message to Community Support is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST.

It really depends on on how things are going with your issue, a transfer would allow you to keep your numbers and just make you responsible for the billing. One word of caution though, if you have little or no personal credit you may be required to put a deposit down on the new account. It will be held for 1 year and then if there where no issues it will be returned to you.

Good luck.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 4, 2013
(0)
Voyager

wingrider01 wrote:

With you being a authorized user I am not exactly sure if you would have the authorization to start the transfer. 

Only account owners can initiate the transfer :smileyhappy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 4, 2013
(0)
ACE - Expert

Cmndershep wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

With you being a authorized user I am not exactly sure if you would have the authorization to start the transfer. 

Only account owners can initiate the transfer :smileyhappy:

just finished the research on it, an authorized user can make changes to the account but a tobr is one of the things they cannot do.

A Retail Authorized User is someone who has been authorized by the primary account holder to make certain changes to the account when visiting an AT&T retail location.

What Retail Authorized Users can do

By presenting a valid government-issued ID, a Retail Authorized User is allowed to:

• Change rate plans
  • Add or remove features
  • Perform upgrades

What Retail Authorized Users can't do

Certain functions are reserved for the primary account holder. A Retail Authorized User cannot:

• Add a line
  • Request a Transfer of Billing Responsibility (ToBR)
  • Add another Retail Authorized User to the account
  • Cancel the account
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 5, 2013
(0)
Mentor

wingrider01 wrote:

As mentioned if you are on good terms with the your seperated husband ask him to initiate a TOBR to a new plan for you. In doing this you will lose and grandfathered features that are on the current plan. In your case the 3GB pro plan would have to be replaced with the 3GB plan or one of the new mobile share

With you being a authorized user I am not exactly sure if you would have the authorization to start the transfer. You can either call a CSR and talk to them or send a Private Message to Community SupportATTCustomerCare is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST.

It really depends on on how things are going with your issue, a transfer would allow you to keep your numbers and just make you responsible for the billing. One word of caution though, if you have little or no personal credit you may be required to put a deposit down on the new account. It will be held for 1 year and then if there where no issues it will be returned to you.

Good luck.

Thanks, everyone. None of our phones are currently under contract, though, so does that make a difference (beyond knowing that I could switch providers if I wanted to)?  Also, we're all eligible for upgrades - would we lose that?  

I'm confused about one thing: if I were to start a new account, and not do a TOBR, why would we have to change our phone numbers? Numbers can be ported over if you move to a different provider - wouldn't the same thing be done in this case?  

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 5, 2013
(0)
ACE - Expert

Bree26 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

With you being a authorized user I am not exactly sure if you would have the authorization to start the transfer. You can either call a CSR and talk to them or send a Private Message to Community SupportATTCustomerCare is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST.

Good luck.

Thanks, everyone. None of our phones are currently under contract, though, so does that make a difference (beyond knowing that I could switch providers if I wanted to)?  Also, we're all eligible for upgrades - would we lose that?  

I'm confused about one thing: if I were to start a new account, and not do a TOBR, why would we have to change our phone numbers? Numbers can be ported over if you move to a different provider - wouldn't the same thing be done in this case?  

numbers can only be ported between providers, not between accounts, that is a TOBR

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 5, 2013
(0)
Community Support

Hi Bree26,

We received your private message and one of our managers will be reaching out to you shortly to answer all of your questions and help you find the best option for your services.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T