Need help understanding your bill?
ssjordany's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Monday, April 9th, 2012 12:40 AM

AT&T family plan

So currently, my parents family plan has 5 lines at the moment and since 5 is the max, I can't join.

Is it possible for to split the family plan into two family plans so I could join in as well?

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

I thinks so except that you need to consider the full cost of the second plan that everyone has to contribute to.  A family plan starts with 2 lines then each is $10.  In your case, two lines would be paying $10 each.  (4 covered on two plans)  The second plan would have minutes plus it's own $30 unlimited texting plan.  The data would be the same.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

12 years ago

Yes, you can split into 2 family plans. But if you have texting, you will need 2 texting plans along with the 2 minute plans.

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

Run the numbers, it may be cheaper to have your own plan and texting instead of two family plans? It may be cheaper to split into two family plans but don't assume so right from the start.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Here's my situation. 

My parents and three other relatives has a family plan just for talk. I on the other hand want to activate a smart phone which requires a 2 year contract.

If i chose to go to a individual plan, I would have to pay $80 for 450 min, unlim text and 300mb of data. But I mostly use my phone to send text and rarely talk. If i join my family's plan I only have to pay $10 for adding a line, 20 for text and 20 for data which sums out to 50.

Am I doing my calculations right?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Sorry Smiley Frustrated I am just really confused at this point.  lol

1. Do we have to pay a ETF to split a family plan?

2. What do you mean by  " (4 covered on two plans) ".

I just want to have a seperate family plan with my parents and have no more relationship between my relatives. My Parents would just stick with thier basic talk, while I can add the feature of data and text for myself.

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

@ssjordany wrote:

Sorry Smiley Frustrated I am just really confused at this point.  lol

1. Do we have to pay a ETF to split a family plan?

2. What do you mean by  " (4 covered on two plans) ".

I just want to have a seperate family plan with my parents and have no more relationship between my relatives. My Parents would just stick with thier basic talk, while I can add the feature of data and text for myself.

No to the ETF since the lines will continue to have service.

Each family plan has 2 lines included in the price.  Your family (mom (included), dad (included)  and you ($10))  The second plan is the other three relatives .  Each plan would have unlimited texting if they want it for $30 each.  Your data plan. etc...  if you do not care about your relatives expenses then yes the family plan if the way to go.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Thank you!!! Your answer is so clear. But I'll think I'll get the $20 messaging plan just for me, my parents doesnt text at all, even though its just $10 more. Kudos to you!

Also do I split the family plan at att.com/transferservice?

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

Not sure about that?  I would go into  a store in person or call to ensure things are done absolutely right.  You will need someone from both families as they will need to start a new plan at the same time.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

Awesome info youngjm!

ssjordany - I agree with youngjm about heading to a retail store to go through this process. I think it will be much easier for you to get this done if you, the current owner of the other family plan and the AT&T representative can all talk about this at the same time. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns and welcome to the AT&T community!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.