Posted May 1, 2012
AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be charged $390

Hello everyone. I just got into the same situation. So there is a huge possibility I will be sent a bill for the lost return. Judging from this thread looks like noone has been able to resolve the problem and it is pretty much pointless to argue with these guys.

If and when I will get charged for the lost phone I will not under any circumstances pay this amount. So my question is: Will I be able to continue using AT&T service and my data plan and most importantly how will it affect my account  upgrades in the future with this outstanding amount.

I'd really hate to terminate AT&T contract ( I have 4 lines, mine is a smartphone) But if AT&T will limit my upgrade eligibility and or my data use or anything on my account I will be forced to terminate the contract. If that happens I'm not  going to pay the termination fee either and I don't really care about the consequences of such action. So this is not an issue for me.

Thank you.

Edit:

I see my post has been moved to another/new thread

So to make a lost story short: mailed a defective unit back to ATT and it got lost in the mail. Not able to track it on newgistic at all.

AT&T says will charge $390 for the lost return device.

<new post created, subject edited>

89 replies
(8) Me too
(8) Me too
Replies
(89)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 12, 2013
(0)
Ugh. I'm really praying something good happens (AKA it's delivered without problems). I can already say that I've had lots of bad AT&T Reps. Sometimes they don't even answer my questions. It's like they are robots.

Re: AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 18, 2013
(0)

I got a text this morning from at&t regarding that my device wasn't returned to the warehouse and they told me to track it. However, when I received the package of my new factory copy phone on July 13th, I didn't receive a tracking number for the returned device. I did return it on Sunday, July 13th to a USPS, however I am kind of worried that I may get charged $300 for a defective device even though I returned it. If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it!

Re: AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 23, 2013
(0)

So what is the best method to return the phone? I will be doing this soon myself and do not want to be charged $500.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 23, 2013
(0)

limeybtrd wrote:

So what is the best method to return the phone? I will be doing this soon myself and do not want to be charged $500.

personnolly I would take the address off of the USPS label and take it to fedex or UPS and pick up the dime to ship it back with damage insurance

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 24, 2013
(0)
I also have the same problem and I'm an international student which i don't have $500 to pay for someone that I don't want. Can somebody help me with this problem? I did send the defected device on august and I just found out that the product isn't returned. Help me with this problem please

(1)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 7, 2013
(1)

I can't take it anymore, I cried for an hour on the phone with ATT today. I'm a student and they're charing me $434 for a device I mailed back over a month ago! I followed the return instructions and dropped it in the post office. They say they never received my package and that newgistics company has no record of my phone either. ATT Warranty deparment keeps literally repeating the same sentence to me like a broken record. "We have no record of your return, please contact your post office." When I ask them who this newgistics company is they say "we can't answer that". Literally said "We can't answer that"!! That's great so you steal $434 from me and then tell me you can't tell me who the company in charge of documenting my return is? 

I asked the rep if they have a phone number to Newgistics, his response was "We don't have that information, you can probably look it up on the Internet". Like are you FBI or CIA and why on earth are you talking to me like this??? The return tracking number doesn't work in the USPS website. I can't take it anymore and don't know what to do. I'm a student and can't just go pay $434 for a phone I don't have! Please HELP!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 11, 2013
(0)

Hello, Tati1321!

Thanks for posting. I'm so sorry to hear about your recent experience returning a device. If you don't mind, please send us a private message by clicking here so we can investigate further.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 14, 2013
(0)
So can i get a replacement even If the phone is not on service

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 26, 2013
(0)

I am also experiencing this issue.  I requested a warrantied replacement device on 12/11, and it was processed & shipped to me on 12/12.  The replacement device arrived on Wednesday, 12/18, and I returned my defective device in person at my local USPS location on Friday, 12/20, using the provided packaging and prepaid shipping label.

Today is Friday, 12/27, and after a week, there is still no record of my provided tracking number at the Newgistics website.  Yesterday, on 12/26, I received an automated e-mail that AT&T has still not received my defective device after 14 days.

I understand that mail traffic is likely quite congested around this time of year, but to have the tracking number return not the slightest indication that it's currently in transit (or even received at all) is quite worrying.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 7, 2014
(0)

As of today, 01/07/14, the tracking number still returns no results.  It has been nearly three weeks since I dropped the return package off at USPS.

On 12/30/13 (8 days ago,) I called AT&T's warranty claims department, and was told that this is "not uncommon at all."  I was advised to wait 1.5 - 2 weeks, and if the tracking number has still not shown any change, to call back.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 8, 2014
(0)

Today, on 01/08/14, my tracking information finally updated for the first time.  The device is just now leaving Atlanta, GA for Fort Worth, TX.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 8, 2014
(0)

Hello, ericiidx!

Thanks for posting an update. I'm glad your tracking information finally updated. I know it can be frustrating, especially when holidays disrupt the normal shipping flow.

We hope to continue to see you around the forums!

As always, feel free to message me with any questions or concerns!

-Mariana

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 11, 2014
(0)

I had my htc one replaced under warranty and the replacement did not work so I got a second replacement.

I dropped off the first replacement and the tracking number did not appear on the newgistics site for several days. I was worried and googling brought me here. It finally appeared after 6 days.

Anyway I hope this information is useful to someone. Before I dropped off the second phone I made a copy of the shipping label. I noticed the shipping label had two tracking numbers - one for newgistics and the second, a USPS tracking number. I got a receipt from USPS. On checking the USPS using the second tracking number it showed up as received at the post office. This should serve as proof  even if newgistics messes up.

(1)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 11, 2014
(1)
I'm surprised why ATT is not able to pull up the USPS tracking number to verify if it was indeed mailed.

(1)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 13, 2014
(1)

I am also experiencing the same situation.  Requested replacement on 28 Dec 13, received email from ATT my order was shipped on the 29th of Dec 2013.  I finally received the phone on January 4, 2014. On January 6, 2014,  I followed the directions sent with my new phone, packaged the defective phone up in the same box provided with the shipping label.  Instructions said cut bottom portion of tracking info and include in the box, which I did, affixed label provided by newgistics(att).  I have the tracking number provided telling me to track through newgistics.com.  I tookk it to the UPS store a local FEDEX, USPS, DHL and UPS postal facility.  however, I check daily and still website says no tracking info found.  I went to the postal facility I took it too and they told me the don't scan items for return though DHL global/USPS.  The local post office picks up the mail daily and takes it to their sort facility.  Spoke to post office who says they do pick up mail daily from the facility however, it is taken to their main facility for sorting and they cannot check without a USPS tracking number.  They also told me that due weather it could be held up in the warehouse.  In addition, I tried tracking throuh DHL global mail whom I received the tracking status update from through AT&T and they say on their website, "No results, we wish to inform you that a number of packages may experience delayed or missing tracking information.  Continue to check this tracking page for the latest update.  Please accept our apologies." Spoke to DHL who said they were unable to track the package and I should contact AT&T and let them know DHL cannot track it.   I checked the DHL website on 9 January and it said they were closed until 8 January with limited hours due to weather and that there would be some delivery delays.  Spoke to ATT with the details of my searching for tracking and am expecting a call back this afternoon.  In reading the forum responses here I see where this happens obviously alot.  AT&T needs to find a better way of returning defective equipment.  I have been a loyal ATT customer for 20 years and don't expect this kind of thing for such a reputable company.  I am not going to entertain the thought of having to pay for something I clearly returned and still have my tracking receipt given to me by ATT/newgistisc. I am truly frustrated with this process.  Please help.  Who the heck is newgistics and why does ATT use them and is there a way to contact newgisitcs to get the additional USPS tracking number that may/may not be on the shipping label?

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 27, 2014
(0)

I may be in the same boat here.

Returned my defective unit 5 days after I got the replacement. I left my package in the designated area in my work place where USPS mailman picks up stuff (so obviously there was no reciept for me, but we do have surveillance cameras around that area). Now today is Day 7 after I mailed out my unit and this morning ATT just sent me a message saying I need to return and track my package. I did try to track it from the website provided (newgistics) but nothing came up. Called up ATT Warranty and they offered to extend the grace period by 14 more days and promised to call me back in 3 days to update me in case there's anything new. Now I'm just worried that it may never arrive at ATT's warehouse in time or at all and I will have to shell out 500 dollars for a defective device I no longer have...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 28, 2014
(0)

Ugh, this is now happening to me.

I had a defective device and had a replacement sent out to me. I called on Dec 6th, and the actual device was shipped on Dec 10th. The shipping was slow, and the device was not delivered utill Dec 17th.
I wiped the old device, and placed it in the provided box with materials supplied, and shipped it out from the post office at 55104 on Dec 18th.
On Jan 2nd, I got a call from AT&T stating that the device has not been recieved. I explained that it was packaged and shipped with the supplied materials, and I was basicly advised not to worry about it.
I now have a $399.00 charge on my account for the replacement device, and nobody has any idea where my package is.
Newgistics, the company that handles the shipping has no record of recieving the device. Shipping date is shown as unknown, and staus is not recieved.

I called and spoke with the warranty department, who stated to be looking into the problem, but I can see that I am going to be stuck with this charge at no fault of my own.
There seem to be no way to track the return label in any way, and with no way to track it I am at the mercy of AT&T.
Based on this thread, this does not seem to be a one-off situation.

So, I have the receipt for the other items I shipped out that day that I had to pay for the postage on.
Post Office 55104-5485
12/18/2013 09:50:20 am
There is NO way the item took 40 days to be delivered.
AT&T Please help me sort this out.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 29, 2014
(0)

Hello, aquesnell!

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear about all the difficulty you've had tracking your device in the mail. If you don't mind, please send us a private message by clicking here so we can help.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. Keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, please feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns. Once again, I apologize for the frustration and inconvenience.

-Mariana

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 1, 2014
(0)
Wow, it's crazy to see how many people are having this same problem. I spent over an hour on the phone with AT&T after they charged me $579 for a phone I returned weeks ago. I used the SmartLabel that was included with the replacement phone and AT&T is saying that they can't track it and have no record of the phone having been scanned in. I've been an AT&T wireless customer for over a decade in part because the customer service has been good, but this has been a nightmare.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 2, 2014
(0)

blisteringherb wrote:
Wow, it's crazy to see how many people are having this same problem. I spent over an hour on the phone with AT&T after they charged me $579 for a phone I returned weeks ago. I used the SmartLabel that was included with the replacement phone and AT&T is saying that they can't track it and have no record of the phone having been scanned in. I've been an AT&T wireless customer for over a decade in part because the customer service has been good, but this has been a nightmare.

Actually since the thread was started in 2012, it is not that many. Have you tried tracking it from here?

http://www.tracking.smartlabel.com/

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 10, 2014
(0)

Hello Everyone,

I too had a major problem with att receiving my defective phone. Same day Fed ex delivered my phone I prepared the package to return the defective one. I placed it in the slit and tightly wrapped it with clear industrial tape. I wrapped in long ways maybe about 3x and then another 2x around it. I then place the return slip infront and began taping over it, i didn`t want any letters or water wearing off so i secured it with one last tape around the label and the box. It might seem overly exxagerated to have done this but i get paranoid about someone opening it. Well UPS gladly took my package and it was out of my hands on December 19, 2013. Today February 10, 2014 I take a look at my bill and I see a whamming $557.00 charge and I immidiately go crazy over this, in the detail I see my normal monthly bill and in between my regurlar charges I see this one time fee for $542.05. I call customer service and they began to tell me that they are charging me because I failed to return the "defective phone". I tell them thy better check their system becasue I most defitnetly returned that piece of junk. After a while the 1st person i spoke with couldn`t figure out anything she was confused so she passed me to some guy in warranty. He then begans to babble about different dates of when they received the packaged that made more sense and as he`s digging he says to me that the did in fact receive my package but the reason for the charge is that the package was empty so it is a legit charge. I said there is no way I sent out and empty package. I secured the contents of the box with layers of clear industrial tape to prevent anything from "falling out" he then fwd my call to his manager. Basically she said it`s a valid charge and there`s nothing we can about it. I began to yell at this woman that I am getting the bad end of the deal here, I returned the package with a defective phone like i was told to and either someone opened it and didn`t put it in the notes or someone tampered with it. She said she was looking at the pix becasue apparantly they take pix of the returned items (from now on we the customers should do the same when sending out the packages as proof) She said that the front was fine and not messed with in any way and then there are pictures of the box opened and with no contents in it. i told her I want to see these pictures she proceeded to tell me that they cannot do that and blah blah, the system does not allow them. I said to her I am not getting off the phone with you until this issue has been resolved becasue I am not going to pay one penny from that ridiculous charge. She proceeded to tell me there was nothing else to do, i said no that packaged was tampered with and I want to speak to someone else above you. I waited to speak to a fourth person. He was already "caught" up in my situation and began telling me the same thing about it being a valid charge because of the empty contents in the box. I went crazy on him and I said I need to see proof, I secured that box and the only way that it is empty is becasue again someone tampered with it. I said I want the pictures as proof , he then began to look at the pictures and said the front looks good, i said please look at the bottom and sides, he asked me again how I sealed the packged with what kind of tape and color. I said Iayered it with clear industrial tape, he asked in what condition was this box in when you received it. I said the return box was in perfect condition when I receieved it because it was inside the box where the replacement phone came in. No wrinkles, no foldings, nothing. When I sent it out it was in a perfect rectagler shaped box. He then said ok im looking at the bottom and i can see where it was tampered with and I can tell that`s where the phone was taken out of, I will go ahead and remove this charge from your accout you are no longer liable. I was like Thank you GOD!! I know my story was long but please DO NOT give up. If you know you secured the phone in the box and they claim there was nothing in it, keep pushing. I dont know how the first 3 people didnt see what the fourth guy saw but it was out of laziness to not dig in deep and resolve the issue. Most people will give up and pay for it but not me! I know some people`s box didn`t make it to them at all, i suggest that you call customer service and get a tracking number and track it yourself, if not contact the carrier and file a claim with them since your item never arrived. The point is that you need to fight them, do not give up and pay. If you truely believe it is not your fault do not give in, research, and fight them, and dont take no for answer! I read alot of stories here that have not had their issue resolved and it makes me angry cuz it`s hardworking people like us that gets screwed at the end. this will be my last year with att and im taking my business somewhere else. Been with them since 11 years and this is the thnks I get for being a loyal customer. Had they listened to me when I said to re check becasue i believe my box as tampered with I would have saved 1 1/2 hrs of my life. Good luck to everyone!

Re: AT&amp;T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&amp;T reps say I will be

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 25, 2014
(0)
I've also just received a $600+ charge on my latest bill, for "not returning" my defective device. I called the warranty department, who claimed they did, in fact, receive the device on January 9th. Two supervisors couldn't explain why I was charged for not returning it, and are "creating a case" for me, which will take up to 5 days. What gives? First it was the Newgistics fiasco, and now this. As someone who has been meticulous about their credit and bill payments since birth, I feel incredibly insulted. I won't be paying this charge, and I won't continue to do business with AT&T once my contract has been fulfilled.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 25, 2014
(0)

Hello @ericiidx 

If they opened a case to have this charge removed, it'll get removed. If for any reason it's still not fixed after a promised resolution date, please let me know and we'll check on it for you.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Community Manager

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 15, 2014
(0)

Oh AT&T, you claim to be the pride of the cell phone industry and yet I find myself and hundreds of unhappy customers asking why do you pay for cut rate shipping for broken devices... I am sure it is now lost in Fargo ND... 8hrs and counting of customer service phone time, 32 days later and no resolution... and looks like I am not the only one with a broken phone return getting lost.

I have been waiting to have conformation for several weeks now that my phone has been received by att. But due to the extremely cheep USPS service that AT&T uses, tracking is erratic and of course it is all my fault. I remember a Phrase my father always used "the Customer is always right"... but of course in this day in age it has been modified to "the customer is always right *no sorry that was the old policy we will send you to billing.

My point that all I have been asking the past month is work with me let me know what is going on. I have controlled my temper, I have not yelled or ranted and I am still treated like a 5 year old child. To define this point I have called in and asked if my package has been received. I keep getting the run around... We will call you on Friday, and on Friday no one called. They respond that I should be patient that it has not been the appointed 10 business days and if I cal back on Tuesday the next week they will be happy to clear it up. So today Tuesday 32 days after I had reported that they had sent me a broken phone and after it was mailed. I called and decided I want to cancel I can not deal with a company that does not return phone calls and put so little import in keeping a customer of 8 years with never a late bill.

Today I was first dealt with the first line of defense a customer service rep that read my file and after 30 minutes of him pretending he could fix the problem, I ask to speak to a manger. The manager Ezzra Philps was very difficult to deal with he had an attitude the whole time I was on the phone. I asked him simply well what do you propose we do? He recommended waiting I have waited a month I responded I am not sure how long you would like me to wait he never came up with a plan. I asked for a time line some kind of resolution. He said I would need to contact the USPS relating that if I send my mother a package I would not blame my mother if it did not arrive on time... at this point I had had it. I asked to speak to his supervisor and would you believe it they were unavailable. An he said they would call me back... that was 5 hrs ago I am not holding my breath. I am sure this problem will be resolved one way or another.

It is clearly a huge flaw that AT&T has in it returns system. I personaly would never allow a $500 device be sent with USPS non certified mail. I would have sent it with UPS. Lucky for me, both myself and AT&T have proof that the package was sent, this will hold up in any small claims court if needed, I am sure it will not come to that. All I want is for AT&T to take responsability, this is clearly not the fault of the customer. 

I am sorry to say AT&T has lost a loyal supporter in myself. I will go with the competition in the future and I am going to post to several social media sites my expirance with this customer service. It may not be much but it can help my friends to look elsewere when considering a phone company. 

Re: AT&amp;T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&amp;T reps say I will be

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 12, 2014
(0)
Looks like I may be joining the ranks of my replacement phone was not received by ATT. I sent my phone using the email that ATT provided using the recommended methods. Of course I screwed up and did not copy the tracking number, but by reading these messages I don't think that would matter. I talked with ATT today and they said that they don't have a return tracking label and not to worry it sometimes takes a month to show up in their system. Even though they will charge me on the 27th.

Do I have any options or do I have to just sit back and enjoy the ride?

Have been a long time ATT customer.

Re: AT&amp;T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&amp;T reps say I

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 12, 2014
(0)

Hello @slane106 Thank you for posting.

Our team will be happy to check your account and help you with that. Please send us a private message by clicking here with your name, phone number, account number and the best time you can be reached.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Community Manager

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".

Re: AT&amp;T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&amp;T reps say I

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 13, 2014
(0)
Hello,
is this something I should worry about? My boyfriend and I just dropped off the phone to be returned at a fed ex drop off box. I keep trying to track it today and I still see nothing show up. I tried the new gistic site and calling fed ex. But no one has any idea. What should k do?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 31, 2014
(0)

Ok so here we go with the dreaded 539 charge of a not returned phone story..

Here is a new twist .Tracking is all good box arrives at facility.

Guess what?They are telling me there is no phone in the box!

I am 150% sure I put the phone in the box,there is just no upside for me to keep the phone.

I spent three hours in the At&t phone loop.

Now need to go to the post office to open a claim.

Something very shady about all this ..

How can I be held accountable for this?At&t Rep Help me please.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 20, 2014
(0)

Reading this thread, this appears to be a serious problem. I have been foing back and forth for four months with customer service on this with no luck. Please, who can I talk to who actually will take the effort to get this resolved?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
2 weeks ago
(0)

So glad i found this thread...but i'm a step guess i'm stuck in the loop already...

I actually sent back the device that the warehouse had sent to me as per the instructions on the paper they sent with the replacement device if i no longer needed the replacement. Sent it back on the 30th last month with the pre-paid return label (should've taken a picture of the return address because i felt so helpless telling USPS i didn't know what the return address was when i tried to track it through USPS and with a tracking number that doesn't exist when i logged in to negistics) and last week started getting phone calls, voicemails, and text messages that AT&T still didn't receive it and would be fined up to $900. After talking to almost 4 customer service reps this past Wednesday for a duration of 5 hours (one being very rude and actually told me off that they didn't receive it because I did not how to do my job right, that they were suppose to receive it within the 10 days I received the device although the instructions were clear that I had 10 days to return the device), the conversation ended slightly better with a rep saying he's worked there the longest and rest assured the package must be in transit with the holiday week and I should receive a confirmation email when they receive it. I've been anxious ever since so I called today to check again and what do you know...they still haven't received it. Luckily i got hold of a very responsible rep this time around...i told her it would be really helpful to at least get the warehouse address that it was going back to do i can open a case with USPS but they couldn't find this information on their end except for a warehouse ID but this wouldn't help me much. She's emailed her supervisor about my situation and she said either her supervisor will get back to me or she will but i don't want to be stuck in the situation that i've read some people are in on this thread of battling this for 6 months or more. SO...what to do...