Posted May 1, 2012
10:37:39 AM
AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be charged $390

Hello everyone. I just got into the same situation. So there is a huge possibility I will be sent a bill for the lost return. Judging from this thread looks like noone has been able to resolve the problem and it is pretty much pointless to argue with these guys.

If and when I will get charged for the lost phone I will not under any circumstances pay this amount. So my question is: Will I be able to continue using AT&T service and my data plan and most importantly how will it affect my account  upgrades in the future with this outstanding amount.

I'd really hate to terminate AT&T contract ( I have 4 lines, mine is a smartphone) But if AT&T will limit my upgrade eligibility and or my data use or anything on my account I will be forced to terminate the contract. If that happens I'm not  going to pay the termination fee either and I don't really care about the consequences of such action. So this is not an issue for me.

Thank you.

Edit:

I see my post has been moved to another/new thread

So to make a lost story short: mailed a defective unit back to ATT and it got lost in the mail. Not able to track it on newgistic at all.

AT&T says will charge $390 for the lost return device.

<new post created, subject edited>

93 replies
(8) Me too
(8) Me too
Replies
(93)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 8, 2013 11:08:00 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hi there, I got your PM and will respond soon. Thanks!

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 15, 2013 7:36:51 AM
(0)
Contributor

add me to the list of people who have not returned their phone, according to ATT.

I followed the steps.  i even took a picture of the box with the return label on it.  Inside was a defective phone that is of ZERO value to me.

It's been almost 2 weeks now and the newgistics site has no record of my return.  I work on a college campus that has its own post office and I dropped the box off there. 

I will fight tooth and nail to not be charged for a phone that I do no have in my possession. 

Re: AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 15, 2013 12:27:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

davemark wrote:

add me to the list of people who have not returned their phone, according to ATT.

I followed the steps.  i even took a picture of the box with the return label on it.  Inside was a defective phone that is of ZERO value to me.

It's been almost 2 weeks now and the newgistics site has no record of my return.  I work on a college campus that has its own post office and I dropped the box off there. 

I will fight tooth and nail to not be charged for a phone that I do no have in my possession. 

Unless a charge has appeared on your bill, there's no reason to worry or get upset. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 15, 2013 1:44:51 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hey Dave,

Thank you for your private message.  We received it and replied.  We look forward to helping you resolve your concerns regarding the return of the equipment.

Regards,

Phillisa on behalf of Jam
Community Manager

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 22, 2013 8:37:06 AM
(0)
Tutor

Add me to the list. Recently ported over from Verizon to AT&T and got an iPhone. I also purchased a Lumia 920 at full price (use it from time to time to test Win Phone 8 apps). My Lumia 920 stopped reading my SIM card and AT&T sent me a replacement with instructions to return the defective device using this third-party SmartLabel company. 

I dropped the phone off on the 4th of this month. Tracking it online doesn't even show that it was dropped off. I have a picture of the box packed and ready to ship, but unfortunately, I do not have a receipt showing I dropped it off at the post office - I just handed it over to the lady at the counter and she said I was good to go. 

I've already started receiving emails and text messages about this. This is becoming a nightmare. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 4, 2013 3:56:21 PM
(0)
Contributor

No doubt this is a terrible experience for all of us.  I made a full retail purchase of a one x+, decided not to keep it and sent it back less than a week after receiving it.  I returned on the 25th of February--did get a receipt from USPS after looking at the label and trying to upgrade the method.  I was able to track one of the labels on USPS and it shows that it was processed by an agent 4 days later, but who knows at this point.  I have a $650 phone floating with no way of knowing when it will arrive--much less be refunded or potentially questioned about the return dates due to the process.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 5, 2013 9:03:28 PM
(0)
Guru
My wife had to return her phone under warranty, they sent out a replacement the Feb14th and we were able to track it. Received it the 20th, packed old phone and took it to the post office and handed it to them the 21st at noon. Was never able to track returned phone, it was as if it had never been mailed. Went back to post office the 25th and was told to contact at&t, we called at&t and they began looking into it. We got a email from at&t today March 5th saying they had received the defective device. I have no idea what went wrong, if it was the post office or the tracking company. Even after at&t started looking into it I was never able to track device with tracking numbers given us.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 8, 2013 8:42:19 AM
(0)
Contributor

I figured I'd come back and update on mine.  I received notice of ATT receiving the device(email) and then got one when my credit was issued back to me.  So for me--from the date I returned to the day I received my money back was 11 days of which only 8 were business days. Job well done.  Good luck to others.  To note--I'd much rather have reliable door to door tracking like fedex or ups even if it cost me a little...some peace of mind would be nice.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 8, 2013 8:55:22 AM
(0)
Expert

cdd543 wrote:

I figured I'd come back and update on mine.  I received notice of ATT receiving the device(email) and then got one when my credit was issued back to me.  So for me--from the date I returned to the day I received my money back was 11 days of which only 8 were business days. Job well done.  Good luck to others.  To note--I'd much rather have reliable door to door tracking like fedex or ups even if it cost me a little...some peace of mind would be nice.

Have a habit for any returned item even if they pay for return shipping - if it is not fedex or ups I pick up the cost out of my own pocket to ship it back so I have a accurate tracking status - especially if it is a USPS return label

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2013 10:30:56 AM
(0)
Tutor

You can add me to the list of ATT phone replacement return fiasco.
I went to the Post Office (3/6/13)and dropped off the defective return (s3) in a mail box for packages. I have been trying to track since Wednesday night. I just got a text from ATT that they have NOT received my defective device.   

I even called ATT warranty customer service and they said they have had people call in before and complain about the whole return process.   The person revealed to me that the tracking number doesn't get updated in the newgistics.com system until the item is received.     When ATT mailed me the replacement device, they told me I would be charged $799 if the device wasn't returned in 10 days.  

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2013 10:47:54 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I'm sorry for the confusion. The message received with the device is a standard message. 

If you would like to follow up on this though, you're welcome to send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2013 11:08:09 AM
(0)
Tutor
Hi jamileh.

I private messaged you. I mistyped in my previous post. ATT texted me that they have NOT received my defective device. Also, newgistics.com has no trace in their system of the device I sent via USPS on 3/6.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2013 11:23:02 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Ahh, I see. Want me to fix that typo for you?

Thanks for the PM, the team will reply today. 

--------------

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2013 12:31:56 PM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks for your response. I fixed the typo already.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2013 12:58:09 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Ok. I edited mine to so I don't look like a fool. :smileyhappy:

--------------

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2013 4:22:29 PM
(0)
Tutor
I seem to have gotten lucky. I just checked newgistics.com and it had updated shipping info. Its only in IN for having.shipped on 3/6 from OH and needed to make it to TX by 3/14.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 14, 2013 3:28:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

Add me to the list of returned phones not received with a charge for the phone on my account now.

PM sent.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 14, 2013 4:42:57 PM
(0)
Contributor

Already contacted and taken care of, thank you.  Disappointed I had to go through this, but appreciate the quick response.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 6, 2013 8:26:07 AM
(0)
Contributor

I think this thread has gotten me more concerned than I was already.  I sent my broken phone out on April 1st and got a text from AT&T on the 4th that they haven't received it.  I have been checking on the tracking daily and it just says the same thing each time...that there is no information on that tracking number.  How much longer should I wait before contacting someone and what can I do to make sure I do not get charged?!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 6, 2013 8:36:05 AM
(0)
Guru
I would call att today and let them know what is going on.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 8, 2013 8:10:44 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

aamt wrote:

I think this thread has gotten me more concerned than I was already.  I sent my broken phone out on April 1st and got a text from AT&T on the 4th that they haven't received it.  I have been checking on the tracking daily and it just says the same thing each time...that there is no information on that tracking number.  How much longer should I wait before contacting someone and what can I do to make sure I do not get charged?!

Remember that it does take some time to ship and it won't update over the weekend. 

You're welcome to send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. Please include the tracking number as well. 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 11, 2013 7:44:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

The fact that AT&T continues to use this service despite so many complaints should be good enough indication to anyone who cares to notice that AT&T doesn't care the least about its customers. Don't mind what the naysayers (AT&T employees, of course) say on here that these occurences are few and far between. Google is your friend. In fact, this kind of behavior is borderline dubious. 

I promptly returned my defective device on February 4th, a few days after receiving my replacement. Between then and March 15, when AT&T finally received it, I called the warranty Department at least 10 times. 

Today, I received my bill (howbeit, the last one ever from AT&T; I gladly paid the early termination fee and moved over to Verizon) and lo and behold, a $429 charge stating I never returned the device. I've spent the last hour and half on the phone trying to get this sorted out. In fact, one of the ladies I spoke to had the nerve to tell me that even though I had returned the phone, I was still going to be charged $429 because I didn't return it within the 14-day period. 

Perhaps the moderators on here will deem this message too true to be posted, but so be it. I will never use anything AT&T again - not me, not anyone in my immediate family, and I will steer as much people I can away from AT&T. 

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 12, 2013 7:48:14 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I'm sorry you've had such a difficult time and that you didn't get great support. 

Will you please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you? 

--------------

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 28, 2013 10:41:24 PM
(0)
Voyager
I guess i'm next on the lost return fiasco, sent a PM already but still no response =/

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 29, 2013 1:21:34 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi samtruong,

Just wanted to check in and let you know that we did receive your private message. Sorry for the delay, we have a high volume of private messages today. One of our managers will be reaching out to you soon.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 22, 2013 1:58:53 PM
(0)
Voyager

Same thing has happenend to me returned my device under warranty my next bill was 922 dollars! I spent three houes on the phone with att which nothing was resolved and nothing helpful came out of it theu demand I pay this mind you this is almost my rent  for a device I returned have a recipet for and was given a tracking number att claims there is nothing they could possibly do for me  its so downing becauae we always pay our bill on time never been late and this happens. How am I to afford this. For something I do not have. I sent it in the mail with the pre paid label followed all instructions and this happens. I dont know what to do. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2013 1:47:18 AM
(0)
Voyager
I'm shipping mine tomorrow out. I looked at the rates for UPS and FedEx but they cost so much money. So since many people claim they don't give you a recipe, ill purchase Certified Mail so then I will have some kind of proof I shipped it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 11, 2013 9:23:28 AM
(0)
Voyager

Oh man... count me in on this boat.  After receiving my replacement phone last week, I dropped my old phone with the label attached at the local USPS Post Office within my zip code.  Although I don't have a receipt, I did snap a picture of the label so that I have all the tracking information (in addition to the packing slip that came with the RMA).

Apparently these SmartLabel returns have two barcodes. One is USPS's label and the other is the Newgistics/Smartlabel barcode.

When I track the USPS label, it shows:

Picked Up by Shipping Agent

July 6, 2013, 12:53 pm

NASHVILLE, TN 37211 

But when I go to Newgistic's tracking site and enter in my Newgistics Tracking #, it says:

No tracking information found for the following tracking value: <Tracking Number>

I know it's only been about 5 days but because of all the bad experiences from people in the past, I'm beginning to worry.

I'm laughing at the following section from Newgistics' page:

If you've ever used a Newgistics SmartLabel, you know they improve the returns process for consumers. But you might not know all the ways these return shipping labels help you increase customer satisfaction and retention—and even your efficiency.

This return process is NOT IMPROVED. It's not EFFICIENT. It doesn't increase CUSTOMER SATISIFACTION. This is a joke.  I would gladly drive my a$$ to UPS or FedEx and even go as far as to say that I would pay for the returns myself to have a reliable shipper/tracking.

Anyway, I've liked my first few months w/ AT&T. I just am praying/hoping/wishing that my phone gets returned in a timely manner. It doesn't look like it's going to be that way because Newgistics/AT&T says that there is no "scan"/information based on that tracking number (despite me having a picture of it).

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 12, 2013 9:39:30 AM
(0)
Tutor

Faluzure, Good luck - you'd need a lot of it. Even after tracking showed my phone was received, AT&T still charged me. It was a royal pain to get it resolved. Anticipate countless hours of phone calls and customer service reps that have no clue what they're talking about. Sometimes I wonder if they read their standard answers off a scipt or something. 

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 12, 2013 9:45:46 AM
(0)
Tutor

Eurorales087, you should probably file a claim with your Attorney General and with the Better Business Bureau if no one at AT&T can help you.