Posted May 1, 2012
AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be charged $390

Hello everyone. I just got into the same situation. So there is a huge possibility I will be sent a bill for the lost return. Judging from this thread looks like noone has been able to resolve the problem and it is pretty much pointless to argue with these guys.

If and when I will get charged for the lost phone I will not under any circumstances pay this amount. So my question is: Will I be able to continue using AT&T service and my data plan and most importantly how will it affect my account  upgrades in the future with this outstanding amount.

I'd really hate to terminate AT&T contract ( I have 4 lines, mine is a smartphone) But if AT&T will limit my upgrade eligibility and or my data use or anything on my account I will be forced to terminate the contract. If that happens I'm not  going to pay the termination fee either and I don't really care about the consequences of such action. So this is not an issue for me.

Thank you.

Edit:

I see my post has been moved to another/new thread

So to make a lost story short: mailed a defective unit back to ATT and it got lost in the mail. Not able to track it on newgistic at all.

AT&T says will charge $390 for the lost return device.

<new post created, subject edited>

AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be charged $390

[ Edited ]
89 replies
(8) Me too
(8) Me too
Replies
(89)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 1, 2012
(0)

Hi there - 

Sorry that you've having a problem with your phone replacement. 

Can you give me a bit more detail? When did you send your phone in? Do you have the tracking information?

I'd be happy to get you in touch with a member of my team so we can make sure this process goes properly. 

If you will please send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you; I will set that up. 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: AT&T Phone Replacement

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 14, 2012
(0)

Hi, I've had the same problem in the past: I send the defective device in the provided packaging, and it never makes it to AT&T. When this happened the first time, over a 2-month period, I spent over 12 hours on the phone with CSRs trying to get a resolution. They finally agreed to give me credits that offset the $500 charge on my account. This was despite me telling them that the device is no longer in my posession, and that I wouldn't benefit from selling a broken device. Even if I did sell it (say for $100), why would I put myself in a position to owe $400???

Here's the real kicker: I think I'm about to have this problem again! I recently just sent another defective device, but this time, I took a picture of the device in the box, the box being sealed, the RMA label on the outside, and (get this) a picture of me handing it to the USPS employee. What's unbelievable is that I just put in the tracking number in the system, and it's saying it's not even recognized! Please help me before this becomes a saga like last time. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 14, 2012
(0)

I'm sorry that you've had difficulty with the return process. 

How long ago did you ship the device? It can take several days for USPS to update their tracking system to reflect the status of the shipment and until they do that it appears that the tracking number is not active. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 14, 2012
(0)

I really don't know what to do at this point i have mailed a defective unit back to ATT and it got lost in the mail. Not able to track it i opened a case with usps today

AT&T already charged me  $490!!! for the lost return device since i am on autopay, but i did returned the defective phone!!! , i have been a consumer for over 5 years and never had any issue, not $490 is a lot to take concidering i have returned the phone and gave it to the hand of the mailman... 

Please help if any one can!!

Thanks 

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 14, 2012
(0)

Opening a case with USPS was a good move. Do you have the tracking number and reciept noting that you shipped it back?

Please send me a private message with your name, account number, any details you have regarding shipping the phone, your phone number and the best time to contact you. 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 14, 2012
(0)

Thanks for the PM - got it and replied. :smileyhappy:

--------------

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 7, 2012
(0)

I just got the dreaded "we have not recieved your defective phone" email today, and hope that I will not be going through what everyone else has been. I sent my device last Wed. so it should theoretically be recieved by now. I'm not sure what to do if I do get charged for it, since the account has been transferred over to my former company and I have already left the company. 

Re: AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 7, 2012
(0)
have you tried to track the package that you sent back to AT&T with the tracking number that was assigned when you put it in the mail.

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

When the going gets rough, hide in a pillow fort and pretend you don't exist.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 20, 2012
(0)

I have the same problem as everyone else on this thread.  I sent my phone back to AT&T in JULY and spent hours on the phone with them about it that month. They told me not to worry until it showed up on my bill and it finally did in October. I talked to someone in the Resolutions department on Friday, Nov. 9th, they said they were going to have the warehouse track the phone using the IMEI number and would call me back on Wednesday, Nov. 14th.  I called AT&T on Friday, Nov. 16th because i never received a call.  The CSR told me they had called multiple times (but I have no missed calls or voicemails). Fine, she put in a request for them to call me on Monday, Nov. 19th.  I waited ALL DAY, no call. So, i call back today, wait 10 minutes for a rep, and she tells me she can't help me and transfers me to the insurance dept, which then put me in a loop and brought me back to the AT&T main menu where I had to wait another 7 minutes for another CSR. I get transferred again and the guy on the line tells me that he isn't saying I didn't return the phone, but they haven't received it. So, the best he can do is waive half the fee for the phone. I told him no.  I am not paying a dime for a phone I already returned them. He asks if he can go talk to his Manager about it, I said sure and he put me on hold.  And wouldn't you know, after waiting on hold again I got hung up on! Total time spent on the phone with AT&T today: 72 minutes 34 seconds, and still no resolution. 

Has anyone gone through binding arbitration? I have two people who were with me when I handed the phone to the USPS worker and can testify that it was dropped off.

On a strange note, I got a voicemail from Joanne <edit> with AT&T Mobility saying she was doing a follow-up in regards to me wanting to know why they were calling me so many times. They haven't been calling me, I have been calling them.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 18, 2012
(0)

i absolutely think SmartLabel is at fault here. 

I actually found this forum by searching for "SmartLabel can't track" on google and ended up here (i'm a AT&T customer nevertheless)

I used their service to return an item from a different company (ArmaniExchange) and even though USPS tracking shows "shipment picked up by agent" from 12th, SmartLabel tracking still shows nothing!

At least one guy on a different thread stated his return showed up "2 months" later on SmartLabel tracking!

I guess SmartLabel is a company specializing in returns ... but can they be trusted?

i guess i'll wait it out for now... 

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 19, 2012
(0)

I wouldn't hold your breath. They still haven"t "found" mine and it was shipped in July! I ended up paying my $370, ditching my smart phone, and decreasing my plan to the lowest i can until my contract ends.  At that point i will be porting my phone number to another carrier and using my smart phone again.  10 years i have been with AT&T (since they were Cingular), and i guarantee that this will be my last.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 9, 2013
(0)

I just got the call saying they did not receive my defective phone which I sent out on Dec 22nd. I just sent it normal mail and do not have any tracking. Anybody know the shipphing address so I can follow-up with the post office. I just put in the box put the return label on it and sent it and did not keep the shipping address. I admit I a stupid but this happens to too many people. I never had missing mail before. They should at least remind us to send it priority or with tracking info. I for some studpid reason believe that this return shipping label had some kind of priority or protection with the post office. I guess not. But again, something is not right because the same thing happens to too many people.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 9, 2013
(0)

I'm sorry to hear that. 

If you'll send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you; a member of my team will give you a call and see what we can do. 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 10, 2013
(0)

Hello. I have a similar story. I returned my defective device on December 31. I pulled up to a mailbox and watched my wife put the return box into the mail. I checked my tracking number and it is not showing in the system, and I have already received one text message and one email message reminder that my return has not been received. I have been a customer for over 17 years. Can you please advise me on what to do?  The last thing I want to do is spend hours on defend phone. 

Thank you. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 11, 2013
(0)

Please take a look at my reply above and send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 11, 2013
(0)

Thanks so much for your reply.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 11, 2013
(0)

Sure thing, I hope we're able to get this sorted out for you. I know it's frustrating. 

--------------

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 11, 2013
(0)
Hi, I received your PM and responded with my status. I will call you asap with my findings. ATTGeofL
AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 16, 2013
(0)

Similar problem. I feel like i have been scammed.

I brought my daughters phone to an at&t repair center because the earphone jack was not working. As the phone was under the 1st year warranty they said they would mail a new one to my house overnight. I received the new phone and shipped the defective one to at&t. About a week later i received the phone back in the mail with a letter saying they received it with a broken screen and it was my responsibility to pay for it. I tried to resolve this over the phone, over an hour of being passed around from one department to another at&t . Then i gave up and sent a written letter explaining why i dont believe i owe anything for the phone as the screen damage must have occured in the mail. When it left my posession the only problem with it was the earphone jack didn't work. My written letter requeseted a written response, I never got one. Today i received an  email saying that my service would be cut off unless i pay the $331.67 for the phone. Tried again to resolve it by phone, basically they said too bad , I have to pay for it. I will pay it but i will not renew anything with AT&T once my contracts are up. I have 4 phones, uverse internet, and TV and have been a customer for a long time.

Re: AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return broken during shipping to AT&T. AT&T reps say

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2013
(0)

i have just return my RMA Phone yesterday before i found this topic. I dropped it off my USPS office close to my house, and thought it was it until i found this tread.

Any idea what i should do now? i really dont want to get stuck in this loop. Really hoping not to get charged a 500 for a defective phone.

Please any advise will be appreciated.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2013
(0)

This is not a common occurrence, so please don't be too concerned. 

It's best to keep verification (like a receipt) so you have proof that it was dropped off to be sent back. 

--------------

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2013
(0)

the post officer does not provide me with any form of receipt. She just told me to give her the box and i could walk away. But i still have the original paper at&t gave me. I am not sure if this will be enough if anything ever occur.

But let's hope things turn out to be ok.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2013
(0)

I have received my replacement device 2 days back. I have to send the defective phone in the box provided. But after reading all this things I am worried if I could be a victim of this. Is it fine if I handover the defective device in any nearest ATT store.??

Please let me know.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 31, 2013
(0)

skumarg77 wrote:

I have received my replacement device 2 days back. I have to send the defective phone in the box provided. But after reading all this things I am worried if I could be a victim of this. Is it fine if I handover the defective device in any nearest ATT store.??

Please let me know.

Unless you bought a phone at the AT&T store, handing a phone to a store employee rather than following the return instructions included is the surest way to cause problems.

Return the original device as instructed. Like Jamileh said, phones "going missing" is rare and shouldn't be anything for you to worrying about.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2013
(0)

I encountered this issue with my coorporate phone. I returned my device but ATT says they have not received it. They went ahead and charged my coorporate card. I am in deep trouble because of this. I tried to locate the shipment with tracking number but of no use. This issue is creating lot of distress at my work. I am trying hard to resolve this issue but it is going no where. My boss is very upset with me.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2013
(0)

I'm sorry to hear this. Will you please send me a private message with your name, account number (if you have it), the name of the company you work for, your phone number and the best time to contact you?

--------------

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2013
(0)

In response to:

"Return the original device as instructed. Like Jamileh said, phones "going missing" is rare and shouldn't be anything for you to worrying about"

I doubt that this actually a rare occurence, judging by the ineptness of the people they have supporting their customers i am surprised  most of them can find their way to work. Notice how once i said i would pay for my phone noone has responded or cared about my problem.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2013
(0)

Have you PM'd me as recommended multiple times in this thread? If not, please do so. Here are instructions:

Please send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you. Include any other relevant or helpful info that you have. 

with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. Please include any other information you feel is relevant or might be helpful. 

--------------

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 8, 2013
(0)

I am having the same issues.  I sent you a PM, can you please suggest next steps?

Thanks,

Jeff