ubigcorps's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, December 21st, 2014 3:44 AM

Question about Aspect Ratio

Why did yall cut inches of the standard def tv service. Someone buys a 42" tv and thanks to u watches a 38" picture. It's b*******. I'm sure yall remember when the pic was full screen, yall are all old enough to remember that. And even though we do have HD service when I switch it to the same channel I was watching in standard..... ooops, no picture at all on hd. I wish more people would realize how ur screwing them. I hope soon to never pay another tv bill and will only watch hulu/Netflix or anything other than the big corps crap. 1 star overall service.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

@ubigcorps wrote:
Why did yall cut inches of the standard def tv service. Someone buys a 42" tv and thanks to u watches a 38" picture. It's b*******. I'm sure yall remember when the pic was full screen, yall are all old enough to remember that. And even though we do have HD service when I switch it to the same channel I was watching in standard..... ooops, no picture at all on hd. I wish more people would realize how ur screwing them. I hope soon to never pay another tv bill and will only watch hulu/Netflix or anything other than the big corps crap. 1 star overall service.

A program watched in SD won't fill up your 16:9 screen.  SD is 4:3 and HD is 16:9.  You can set it at "fill" or "stretch" but then you'll get a distorted picture (aka stretch-o-vision).

We have 3 HD TVs (23"/37"/52") and all look FANTASTIC in HD...as long as the program is being shown in HD.  Batman (circa 1966) looks great on the HD channel but it's not filling the 16:9 aspect ratio on the big TV because it was shot to fit a 4:3 screen.  Same with any old series.  Looks great but it's got the bars on each side.

If you are paying for HD service and an HD program is not filling your entire HD screen, then you're doing something wrong.

[Edited - changed inappropriate user name in quote]

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

As my buddies at Crutchfield say:

1. The term used to describe TV screen shape is "aspect ratio" — conventional TVs, and some small LCD HDTVs, have a 4:3 aspect ratio; widescreen HDTVs have a 16:9 ratio. TV shows also typically have a4:3 or 16:9 ratio.

SD means 480i.  It will be at a 4:3 ratio just like the 50 years before digital TV.  HD means 720p or 1080i, and a 16:9 ratio.

Your expecations are off, not the service.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

9 years ago

@ubigcorps wrote:
Why did yall cut inches of the standard def tv service. Someone buys a 42" tv and thanks to u watches a 38" picture. It's b*******. I'm sure yall remember when the pic was full screen, yall are all old enough to remember that. And even though we do have HD service when I switch it to the same channel I was watching in standard..... ooops, no picture at all on hd. I wish more people would realize howur screwing them. I hope soon to never pay anothertv bill and will onlywatchhulu/Netflix or anything other than the big corps crap. 1 star overall service.

Are you paying for HD service? Perhaps that is the reason you have no picture when you turn to an HD channel. Are you even a U-Verse subscriber?

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

9 years ago

The OP needs to understand the workings of that zoom button.  Just like a Ronco chicken rotisserie, "Set it and forget it."

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

@dhascall wrote:

The OP needs to understand the workings of that zoom button.  Just like a Ronco chicken rotisserie, "Set it and forget it."

5 stars for the Ronco reference.  Smiley LOL

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

9 years ago

ubigcorps wrote:

From what I am reading, the OP does not have HD service in the first place. He says that when he goes to the HD channels he gets "no picture at all on hd".

Even with an analog television, if you are paying for HD, you still get the HD channels, although they are not in HD since they are not HD televisions.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

...and yet another example of a OPW leaving us with unanswered questions. *sigh*

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

9 years ago

@skeeterintexas wrote:
...and yet another example of a OPW leaving us with unanswered questions. *sigh*

I bet he jumped on the bamdwagon of the other poster who had letterbox / barndoor issues.  At least they posted screenshots.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

I have the same problem and agree with ubigcorps.you all can provide

[Edited - changed inappropriate user name used in message]

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

You can provide all the reasons in the world why it isn't an AT&T problem, and list the complaint as "Solved". But if that is the case, then why didn't I experience this problem at all for two years while I had Comcast? (Same TV. Same channels)
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.