Need help with your equipment?
w1n78's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, June 6th, 2012 4:51 AM

new u-verse customer but with many tech questions

i currently have timewarner cable and it's fine at 20Mbps down and 1Mbps up. i want a faster upload speed because i do a lot of backups on amazon S3 and upload photos/videos to share with family worldwide.

i recently signed up to u-verse based on the information given to me by the sales rep. i just want to verify how true they are with existing customers. i signed up for the max turbo at 24Mbps. here goes my questions that i hope you all can help me with.

1) is the 24Mbps both up and down speeds? i know it's up to 24Mbps.

2) i asked if there was a monthly bandwidth cap. i was told no but there is a 250GB cap for at&t wifi that is not in my house. but upon further research i found that there is a 250GB cap for wifi connectivity and that it counts against me even at home with wireless devices. well that sucks coz i have tablets, cell phones, game consoles that are plugged in and auto connect when i'm in range of my network. can someone share a link that has an official at&t rule about this? i don't have the service installed so i'd appreciate an accurate answer. the cap is not good for me being i do online backups and photo/video uploads. i don't have this with time warner currently. now if i have to switch to business u-verse that's ok too. all i need is internet with a fast upload speed.

3) the rep told me that i was limited to connecting 10 devices. i asked if this was a limitation of the service or the equipment? she didn't have the answer. i have more than 10 devices connected using the internet at any 1 time. tvs, directv receivers, cell phones, tables, game consoles, etc. i have my own switches that can extend my network and i'm pretty sure the limitations on the amount of wireless devices are more than 10. i mean my current wireless router is doing it now. so is this limited by the u-verse service or the equipment given to me?

4) am i allowed to run webservers and vpn with the service?

5) i currently have time warner cable internet. from what i hear, u-verse runs through a coaxial. is this the same coaxial cable that time warner is currently using to provide me with internet or is it another that the installer will have to run inside the house?

my installation is in a week. hopefully i can get some answers. if it doesn't work out, i may just stay with time warner but get their business internet plan. not sure if they are using fibre though. i just want faster upload speeds with no bandwidth cap. please help. thanks in advance.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

1. The Max Turbo internet service is 24 mbps down and 3 mbps up.

2. No monthly bandwidth caps are being enforced for U-verse internet.

3. See the following thread:  http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/How-many-devices-can-you-connect-on-local-gateway/m-p/2992923

4. Yes

5. U-verse is delivered to your home via your telephone line.  The tech will run either a coax or cat5 homerun from your NID to the U-verse gateway.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

thanks for the info. looks like it's not gonna work for me considering the $150 installation fee and redoing my network because of the new modem/gateway.

is there anything that at&t offers that is close to what my friends' fios gives them. some of them are getting 20Mbps up and down. i don't mind paying extra and going business.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

12 years ago

@w1n78 wrote:

thanks for the info. looks like it's not gonna work for me considering the $150 installation fee and redoing my network because of the new modem/gateway.

is there anything that at&t offers that is close to what my friends' fios gives them. some of them are getting 20Mbps up and down. i don't mind paying extra and going business.

As far as I know 24 / 3 is the highest speed offered by AT&T for either home or business.

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

12 years ago

2. While quotas are not being inforced at this time, they are written into the contract and can be enforced the moment ATT decides to.

4. Have a care regarding VPN servers. It seems just about impossible to get a PPTP VPN server to work behind a U-verse RG, unless you pay extra for a static IP address. Web servers should be OK.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

Yup, another AT&T sales rep that hasn't a clue, just spewing misinformation to make a sale. Although they said 24Mbps, it's a crap-shoot as to whether you will actually be able to get those speeds. You may only be capable of recieving much less. It's like going to a car dealership and the salesperson talks you into a corvette, only to find out when they deliver the car, all they can get are yugos.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

ok, a scary moment. i just found out the person i spoke with last night was from saveology and not at&t. i was under the impression they were at&t. hopefully saveology is a reputable company since i gave them information to do a credit check. this morning i dialed the same number and got the real at&t and they have no record of the order. long story short, the at&t rep told me that they have static IP service that will enable me to get symetrical speeds. i signed up with him and got an email from sbc.com which is another indication that i was speaking with an at&t employee.

hopefully this is the service i'm looking for with 18Mbps up and down speeds. i'll be on the phone with my credit checkers and make sure no weird accounts have opened up in the past 24 hours.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@w1n78 wrote:

ok, a scary moment. i just found out the person i spoke with last night was from saveology and not at&t. i was under the impression they were at&t. hopefully saveology is a reputable company since i gave them information to do a credit check. this morning i dialed the same number and got the real at&t and they have no record of the order. long story short, the at&t rep told me that they have static IP service that will enable me to get symetrical speeds. i signed up with him and got an email from sbc.com which is another indication that i was speaking with an at&t employee.

hopefully this is the service i'm looking for with 18Mbps up and down speeds. i'll be on the phone with my credit checkers and make sure no weird accounts have opened up in the past 24 hours.

Sorry, but yet another bill of goods.

Staic IPs have nothing to do with speeds, and symetrical speed packages such as ISDN, T1, or E1, can range from expensive to outrageous. AT&T's offering is called Symetric S and will give 5 static IP addresses, and, wait for it, a whopping 416 Kbps up/down, for $75/month and a 2 year contract.

If your only beef with TWC is the upload speed yours might get doubled soon. http://mattw.bangordailynews.com/2012/04/23/business/time-warner-ups-internet-speeds-for-maine-customers/ 

They aparently also have a 30 down/5 up package as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

oh what!? dam egg on my face again courtesy of the sales dept of at&t. well i was told that i can get 18/18 speed if i get the static IP. i'm no network engineer but i should've known better on that. well, i'm just gonna go through with the installation. they waved every fee and gave me 45 days to try it out. if i'm not getting anything close to what was said, i'll be cancelling.

i just don't know how verizon fios can provide their customers 20/20 speeds and more for around $80. isn't u-verse the same technology? guess i just live in the wrong side of town. if i ever move, i'll be sure to check on the available ISP in the area 😕

thanks for the info.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@w1n78 wrote:

oh what!? dam egg on my face again courtesy of the sales dept of at&t. well i was told that i can get 18/18 speed if i get the static IP. i'm no network engineer but i should've known better on that. well, i'm just gonna go through with the installation. they waved every fee and gave me 45 days to try it out. if i'm not getting anything close to what was said, i'll be cancelling.

i just don't know how verizon fios can provide their customers 20/20 speeds and more for around $80. isn't u-verse the same technology? guess i just live in the wrong side of town. if i ever move, i'll be sure to check on the available ISP in the area 😕

thanks for the info.

Not really. The symetrical speed packages from Verizon are on what is known as FTTH, or fiber to the home. In other words fiber optic cable all the way to your house, which can deliver much higher bandwidths, both up and down. AT&T's Uverse is 90-95% FTTN, or fiber to the node, where the fiber only runs to a box in your neighborhood, and then over the old phone lines the rest of the way to your house. So, the farther from that box, which is called a VRAD, the crappier your choices.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

thanks for all the information everyone. i was going to take the chance and get it installed anyway and cancel but with all of the feedback and possible headaches of not getting the speed promised by CSR and taking days off just to entertain the techs coming out and checking the line, i will save myself the headache and cancel my appointment. hopefully fios-like speeds will be available to everyone from more ISPs. it's 2012, one can hope, right?

i was able to upgrade my existing connection with time warner. now i'm getting 30Mbps down and 5Mbps up. on top of that, no data cap. still not what i wanted in the upload speed but it's 5x faster than what i had before.

again, thank you all for the feedback.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.