Need help with your equipment?
SylenThunder's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 4:05 AM

making a server visible to the public (NVG510)

With my previous modem, (a Motorola 2210), I had the option to give a router/server a second public IP address. I thought this was called IP Passthrough, but I can't recall. It was pretty easy to setup so I didn't have to do a lot of worrying. Just picked the computer/mac I wanted to have a public address and after resetting the IP on the device, it was no longer on the local network.

Now I have a Motorola NVG510, and I can't figure out how to do this. Basically I have a game server set up, everyone configures to my port:IP and off we go. Unfortunately, now I'm having trouble figuring out how to do this on the new modem. It's awesome that I'm not double-natting the rest of the computers now, but I'd like to be able to get it so my friends can see my game server again.

can anyone help me figure this out? basically I need for all of the computers attached to the modem to be on the local network, and have just this one system with a second public address.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@SylenThunder wrote:

Not sure what a SBD is.

also I was incorrect on the 2210, that was what the NVG510 replaced, but that's only because it was the default modem they sent me when I upgraded to U-Verse. Unfortunately it turned out to be a piece of crap and the technician that came out went throught his entire trucks inventory trying to get one to work. He finally mnaged to pull out this "new" modem, (the NVG510), and eventually managed to get it set up and configured. (I think the original issue had to do with a device at the CO needing to be rebooted though, LOL.)

No, I'm not using a 3rd party router. I was previously with the D-Link 2701HG-B, but was hoping I could avoid it.(Double Natting was a pain in the butt.)

Yes the game server is a dedicated linux box. It worked fine with the old setup.

No, I don't have the Static IP option, although with the 2701, I was able to get two public IP addresses. I am just trying to replicate the same setup with the NVG510 that I had previously using the DMZplus feature. (DMZplus gave the computer it was assigned to a second public IP address and opened all ports.)

I was hoping to be able to use a similar feature with this new modem.

It looks like public subnet or IP passthrough might be an option for me, but I haven't got the faintest idea of how to set that up properly. The wife will kill me if I spend a day tinkering around with it because she will lose her internet connection.

If you only need a handfull of ports opened and you know exactly which ones and what protocols they need to be, then the "NAT Gaming" (port forwards) should take care of you. Just forwarding the required ports for your game host would limit the exposure to your server.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@SylenThunder wrote:

With my previous modem, (a Motorola 2210), I had the option to give a router/server a second public IP address. I thought this was called IP Passthrough, but I can't recall. It was pretty easy to setup so I didn't have to do a lot of worrying. Just picked the computer/mac I wanted to have a public address and after resetting the IP on the device, it was no longer on the local network.

Now I have a Motorola NVG510, and I can't figure out how to do this. Basically I have a game server set up, everyone configures to my port:IP and off we go. Unfortunately, now I'm having trouble figuring out how to do this on the new modem. It's awesome that I'm not double-natting the rest of the computers now, but I'd like to be able to get it so my friends can see my game server again.

can anyone help me figure this out? basically I need for all of the computers attached to the modem to be on the local network, and have just this one system with a second public address.

SylenThunder, is that like a SBD? Smiley Wink

Are you using a third party router between the NVG and your computers?

Is your "Game Server" a dedicated computer (game server only)?

Do you have the "Static IP" package from AT&T? If not, you only have one "Public" address.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

Not sure what a SBD is.

also I was incorrect on the 2210, that was what the NVG510 replaced, but that's only because it was the default modem they sent me when I upgraded to U-Verse. Unfortunately it turned out to be a piece of crap and the technician that came out went throught his entire trucks inventory trying to get one to work. He finally mnaged to pull out this "new" modem, (the NVG510), and eventually managed to get it set up and configured. (I think the original issue had to do with a device at the CO needing to be rebooted though, LOL.)

No, I'm not using a 3rd party router. I was previously with the D-Link 2701HG-B, but was hoping I could avoid it.(Double Natting was a pain in the butt.)

Yes the game server is a dedicated linux box. It worked fine with the old setup.

No, I don't have the Static IP option, although with the 2701, I was able to get two public IP addresses. I am just trying to replicate the same setup with the NVG510 that I had previously using the DMZplus feature. (DMZplus gave the computer it was assigned to a second public IP address and opened all ports.)

I was hoping to be able to use a similar feature with this new modem.

It looks like public subnet or IP passthrough might be an option for me, but I haven't got the faintest idea of how to set that up properly. The wife will kill me if I spend a day tinkering around with it because she will lose her internet connection.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.