Need help with your equipment?
jbsm's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, August 22nd, 2013 3:30 PM

change wifi password

How do I change my wifi password? I made the original too short and I can't log into my i-devices. I don't need to change the wireless access key! That's different, right? They recommend changing passwords often but they don't make it easy.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Administrator

• 

835 Messages

8 years ago

Learn how you can change your Wi-Fi network password to personalize your home network and help protect it from outsiders.

(edited)

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

jbsm - Well the vocab is complicated. I would say the wifi password and the wireless access key are the same thing. What you need toi present to join the network. You can change them here - http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1 . You will probably also need the modem password to make any change. That is also found on the side of the modem. Make sure you make a couple of copies that you can find.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks it worked. I didn't realize the log on password was different from the getting on the internet password.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

i would like to make my wi-fi private.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@jackie/tim wrote:

i would like to make my wi-fi private.

By default your wifi should be private.  Only the people you give the wireless access key to should be able to connect, unless you've changed the default settings in your router/RG.  If you are talking about not broadcasting the SSID of your wireless network, I would suggest that you will cause yourself more headaches than you will prevent by doing that.  Windows will occassionally have problems connecting to a wireless network if the SSID is not being broadcast.  Just hiding your SSID does not prevent hackers form getting it, since it is embedded in every data packet that is transmitted across your network.  Any hacker who wants to can put thir wireless card into "promiscuious mode" and sniff any packet being broadcast.  With that information, they can do some packet inspection and get your SSID easier than you can hide it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hi! I followed the link to change the password but I don't see the password change option; I see the restart option only. Please advise.

Thanks,

Tyler

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I hops that I did this right. I have been having problems with my granddaughter that lives with me and her social media. I am trying to prevent her from getting on the internet. thanks

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I'm having the same trouble and the 192.168.1.254 isn't working for me - is it bc I'm not at home?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.