Need to update email settings?
Jose_2's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, April 19th, 2010 3:29 AM

Closed

bellsouth.net email set-up on outlook through uverse internet

Anybody know how to properly set-up existing bellsouth email sending through outlook when connected to a uverse account.  Per AT&T tech support servier 25 has been unlocked yet we are still not able to send out emails through outlook.  Recieving emails through outlook not an issue and we can send and receive emails through the att.net site.  HELP PLEASE!!!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

14 years ago

Email Program Settings Field: Enter:
Incoming (POP) pop.att.yahoo.com
Outgoing (SMTP) smtp.att.yahoo.com
(requires authentication)
Incoming mail server: POP3
Incoming/Outgoing User Name: Full AT&T email address, including domain (e.g., test@att.net, test@bellsouth.net)
Incoming mail port #: 995, secure connection (SSL) checked
Outgoing mail port # 465, secure connection (SSL) checked

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401570

Hope this helps you. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
I Call It Like I See It, Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

14 years ago

THANK YOU.  Your response was very short, clear and easy to follow, and best of all you SOLVED ALL my problems with being able to send "xxxxx@bellsouth.net" emails through our outlook !!!.  I am sure that there are many of us Bellsouth email users that have or will be migrating over to UVERSE and our preference is to continue using our Outlook to manage our Bellsouth emails I highly suggest for UVERSE (AT&T) to post this solution for others, otherwise UVERSE (AT&T) will end up with many additional frustrated customers.  Telling customers that AT&T Tech support does not support Outlook is not a good response, especially when the solution is so straight forward and easy.

Note: Because of timing not sure if previously having AT&T unlock server "25" was or was not instrumental in getting Outlook to work with the Bellsouth email address.

THANKS AGAIN!!! Jose'

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

14 years ago

Unluckily they make you search on Support, but is easy for me to find.  The port 25 was used before they went to secured authorization and use the higher ports.  Glad you got it working. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
I Call It Like I See It, Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

I can get the test to work using this set-up but the email still sits parked in my outbox.  I created a new email and it is also parked in my outbox.   I turned off my firewall to be certain that isn't the problem.

also - I've got other email addresses that I use and can't seem to get them to even test send email using this solution...I'm sure I'm missing something but I've made many calls, done the online chat, etc all to no avail.

thanks!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

If you have U-verse and would like to use Microsoft Outlook to access your "non-att domain" E-Mails (i.e, sam@samswebsite.com), you're screwed.

If I'm wrong, someone please clearly explain how to do it.

Thanks.

Guru

• 

939 Messages

14 years ago

@smzolar wrote:

I can get the test to work using this set-up but the email still sits parked in my outbox.  I created a new email and it is also parked in my outbox.   I turned off my firewall to be certain that isn't the problem.

also - I've got other email addresses that I use and can't seem to get them to even test send email using this solution...I'm sure I'm missing something but I've made many calls, done the online chat, etc all to no avail.

thanks!

Outlook is funny.  Sometimes if emails get jammed up in the outbox, nothing will go until you clean it out.

Delete everything in your outbox.  Close Outlook.  Re-open it and try again.  Has worked for me more than once.

Guru

• 

939 Messages

14 years ago

@tihsllub wrote:

If you have U-verse and would like to use Microsoft Outlook to access your "non-att domain" E-Mails (i.e, sam@samswebsite.com), you're screwed.

If I'm wrong, someone please clearly explain how to do it.

Thanks.

You're wrong -- my wife uses Outlook for a number of addresses -- but without knowing the specific settings you're using and the requirements of your mail servers, it's hard to explain how.

By default, AT&T blocks outbound connections to port 25 -- and by default, port 25 is the default port for sending email (SMTP).  These days pretty much every mail server has alternate ports you can use -- typically 465 with SSL or 587 with TLS -- but it varies.  You should check with whatever service is providing you the email account to see what settings will work; post them here and we can go from there.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

Using Outlook, I am able to receive my non-att domain email, but I cannot send Emails.

Prior to U-verse, I had Cox cable.  In my Outlook, all I had to do was change my outgoing server to: smtp.cox.west.com (or something similar to that), leaving it on Port 25 and all was well.

If I change my outgoing server now to smtp.att.yahoo.com I still can't send Emails, with Port 25 or even with Port 465 w/SSL. (I called ATT to unblock Port 25 and still no go).

To assist in troubleshooting, any non-att domain emails I attempt to send get bounced back from "system adminstrator" with "UNDELIVERABLE;" in email headline.

Thanks in advance.

Guru

• 

939 Messages

14 years ago

@tihsllub wrote:

Using Outlook, I am able to receive my non-att domain email, but I cannot send Emails.

Prior to U-verse, I had Cox cable.  In my Outlook, all I had to do was change my outgoing server to: smtp.cox.west.com (or something similar to that), leaving it on Port 25 and all was well.

If I change my outgoing server now to smtp.att.yahoo.com I still can't send Emails, with Port 25 or even with Port 465 w/SSL. (I called ATT to unblock Port 25 and still no go).

To assist in troubleshooting, any non-att domain emails I attempt to send get bounced back from "system adminstrator" with "UNDELIVERABLE;" in email headline.

Thanks in advance.

In order to prevent their SMTP servers from turning into open relays, if you want to use the AT&T/Yahoo SMTP servers to send non-att-yahoo emails, you have to "register" the other email account.  You can do this on your member page at att.my.yahoo.com, but be warned: you can only register 10 total email addresses, and if you delete one, you don't free up a slot.  I called and went around and around with them on this some time back.

In general, if you're getting a bounce-back email, it's not a port issue.

Employee

• 

3.9K Messages

14 years ago

There are some a number of very knowledgeable helpers on this peer to peer forum but because all the info posted here is public to the world you may have better luck with DSLReports direct help that is private except for your first post. The people helping you here may even be the person that helps you there.

The link is

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sbcdirect

Check it out and see if it may work for you.  Many of the helpers work for at&t and have contacts that may help or have solved this problem for other subscribers in the past. The people that are allowed to help have proven track record for the quality of their help over time.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.