Posted Apr 18, 2010
bellsouth.net email set-up on outlook through uverse internet

Anybody know how to properly set-up existing bellsouth email sending through outlook when connected to a uverse account.  Per AT&T tech support servier 25 has been unlocked yet we are still not able to send out emails through outlook.  Recieving emails through outlook not an issue and we can send and receive emails through the att.net site.  HELP PLEASE!!!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
4-18-2010 9:23:31 PM
(0)
Email Program Settings Field: Enter:
Incoming (POP) pop.att.yahoo.com
Outgoing (SMTP) smtp.att.yahoo.com
(requires authentication)
Incoming mail server: POP3
Incoming/Outgoing User Name: Full AT&T email address, including domain (e.g., test@att.net, test@bellsouth.net)
Incoming mail port #: 995, secure connection (SSL) checked
Outgoing mail port # 465, secure connection (SSL) checked

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401570

Hope this helps you. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
I Call It Like I See It, Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

bellsouth.net email set-up on outlook through uverse internet

23 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
Replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Apr 18, 2010
(0)
Incoming (POP) pop.att.yahoo.com
Outgoing (SMTP) smtp.att.yahoo.com
Incoming/Outgoing User Name: Full AT&T email address, including domain (e.g., test@att.net, test@bellsouth.net)
Outgoing mail port # 465, secure connection (SSL) checked

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401570

Hope this helps you. :smileywink:

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: bellsouth.net email set-up on outlook through uverse internet

Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 19, 2010
(0)

THANK YOU.  Your response was very short, clear and easy to follow, and best of all you SOLVED ALL my problems with being able to send "xxxxx@bellsouth.net" emails through our outlook !!!.  I am sure that there are many of us Bellsouth email users that have or will be migrating over to UVERSE and our preference is to continue using our Outlook to manage our Bellsouth emails I highly suggest for UVERSE (AT&T) to post this solution for others, otherwise UVERSE (AT&T) will end up with many additional frustrated customers.  Telling customers that AT&T Tech support does not support Outlook is not a good response, especially when the solution is so straight forward and easy.

Note: Because of timing not sure if previously having AT&T unlock server "25" was or was not instrumental in getting Outlook to work with the Bellsouth email address.

THANKS AGAIN!!! Jose'

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 20, 2010
(0)

Unluckily they make you search on Support, but is easy for me to find.  The port 25 was used before they went to secured authorization and use the higher ports.  Glad you got it working. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 26, 2010
(0)

I can get the test to work using this set-up but the email still sits parked in my outbox.  I created a new email and it is also parked in my outbox.   I turned off my firewall to be certain that isn't the problem.

also - I've got other email addresses that I use and can't seem to get them to even test send email using this solution...I'm sure I'm missing something but I've made many calls, done the online chat, etc all to no avail.

thanks!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 28, 2010
(0)

If you have U-verse and would like to use Microsoft Outlook to access your "non-att domain" E-Mails (i.e, sam@samswebsite.com), you're screwed.

If I'm wrong, someone please clearly explain how to do it.

Thanks.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 28, 2010
(0)

smzolar wrote:

I can get the test to work using this set-up but the email still sits parked in my outbox.  I created a new email and it is also parked in my outbox.   I turned off my firewall to be certain that isn't the problem.

also - I've got other email addresses that I use and can't seem to get them to even test send email using this solution...I'm sure I'm missing something but I've made many calls, done the online chat, etc all to no avail.

thanks!

Outlook is funny.  Sometimes if emails get jammed up in the outbox, nothing will go until you clean it out.

Delete everything in your outbox.  Close Outlook.  Re-open it and try again.  Has worked for me more than once.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 28, 2010
(0)

tihsllub wrote:

If you have U-verse and would like to use Microsoft Outlook to access your "non-att domain" E-Mails (i.e, sam@samswebsite.com), you're screwed.

If I'm wrong, someone please clearly explain how to do it.

Thanks.

You're wrong -- my wife uses Outlook for a number of addresses -- but without knowing the specific settings you're using and the requirements of your mail servers, it's hard to explain how.

By default, AT&T blocks outbound connections to port 25 -- and by default, port 25 is the default port for sending email (SMTP).  These days pretty much every mail server has alternate ports you can use -- typically 465 with SSL or 587 with TLS -- but it varies.  You should check with whatever service is providing you the email account to see what settings will work; post them here and we can go from there.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 28, 2010
(0)

Using Outlook, I am able to receive my non-att domain email, but I cannot send Emails.

Prior to U-verse, I had Cox cable.  In my Outlook, all I had to do was change my outgoing server to: smtp.cox.west.com (or something similar to that), leaving it on Port 25 and all was well.

If I change my outgoing server now to smtp.att.yahoo.com I still can't send Emails, with Port 25 or even with Port 465 w/SSL. (I called ATT to unblock Port 25 and still no go).

To assist in troubleshooting, any non-att domain emails I attempt to send get bounced back from "system adminstrator" with "UNDELIVERABLE;" in email headline.

Thanks in advance.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 29, 2010
(0)

tihsllub wrote:

Using Outlook, I am able to receive my non-att domain email, but I cannot send Emails.

Prior to U-verse, I had Cox cable.  In my Outlook, all I had to do was change my outgoing server to: smtp.cox.west.com (or something similar to that), leaving it on Port 25 and all was well.

If I change my outgoing server now to smtp.att.yahoo.com I still can't send Emails, with Port 25 or even with Port 465 w/SSL. (I called ATT to unblock Port 25 and still no go).

To assist in troubleshooting, any non-att domain emails I attempt to send get bounced back from "system adminstrator" with "UNDELIVERABLE;" in email headline.

Thanks in advance.

In order to prevent their SMTP servers from turning into open relays, if you want to use the AT&T/Yahoo SMTP servers to send non-att-yahoo emails, you have to "register" the other email account.  You can do this on your member page at att.my.yahoo.com, but be warned: you can only register 10 total email addresses, and if you delete one, you don't free up a slot.  I called and went around and around with them on this some time back.

In general, if you're getting a bounce-back email, it's not a port issue.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 30, 2010
(0)

There are some a number of very knowledgeable helpers on this peer to peer forum but because all the info posted here is public to the world you may have better luck with DSLReports direct help that is private except for your first post. The people helping you here may even be the person that helps you there.

The link is

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sbcdirect

Check it out and see if it may work for you.  Many of the helpers work for at&t and have contacts that may help or have solved this problem for other subscribers in the past. The people that are allowed to help have proven track record for the quality of their help over time.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 1, 2010
(0)

Chris:

Thanks very much for your post!  In my case, the incoming server configuration didn't have to be changed but I configured the outgoing server per your instructions and everything is now working.   The AT&T "Connect Support" group wanted $29 to provide an answer.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 3, 2010
(0)

Hi I tried all your settings for outlook , and all the settings check out  until it tries to send test email. It fails every time. It can import my emails from my uverse email account. But I still cannot send any email via outlook. I would like to say forget it but unfortunately I cannot.

I paid the 29 dollars for connect tech and after THREE HOURS , I am still no hold with no support tech.

I would appreciate any help you can  give me.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 4, 2011
(0)

how did you solve the problem?  This webcite is not much better, because no one is telling how they solved the problem.  Would you please with me how to correct the problem? I would appreciate it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 5, 2011
(0)

I followed all of the steps from the att site,   http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401568#fbid=HAia6OxuTCA 

here is an example:

Email Program Settings Field:Enter:
Incoming (POP)inbound.att.net 
Outgoing server (SMTP)

outbound.att.net

Incoming mail server:POP3
Incoming/Outgoing
User Name:
Full AT&T email address, including domain
(e.g., test@att.net, test@bellsouth.net)
Incoming mail port #:995, secure connection (SSL) checked
Outgoing mail port #:465, secure connection (SSL) checked

Important: While verifying your settings, make sure you entered your email address and password correctly.

• In your email client (i.e., Outlook(R) Express, Outlook(R), etc.), look to see if you have any messages in your Outbox folder. If so, remove those messages and try to send a new message.

I could send at test successfully, but emails were still sitting in my outbox and I would get a send error message.  If I deleted my email account and set it up again, I could send one email, but the rest would remain in my outbox.

I went to my firewall and opened up the port 465 (only port 110 was opened for mail servers) it was not difficult to do.  Now my email for both bellsouth accounts work perfectly. 

I hope this helps someone else.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 12, 2012
(0)

Oh my goodness, I cannot thank you enough for the information below.  Contacted ATT and they were very patient, but were quick to inform me that they cannot support Microsoft products.  It is bad that they leave you stranded as a new U-Verse customer not being able to send emails.  The instructions provided by mibrnsurg are "spot on".  Just remember to select -under Internet E-mail Settings>Outgoing Server tab - make sure to check that your outgoing server requires authentication.  That is an important step - glad I was savy and smart enough to surf the web for a solution.  Thanks mibrnsurg for great information.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 25, 2013
(0)

i need your help. i did all you said to do and it said this when i click send/recieve : Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 17, 2013
(0)
The settings above are correct but unfortunately for some this is not enough. If the setting above alone do not work one must make sure that in the advanced settings tab under your account settings that you select "SSL" for "use the following type of encrypted connection". I spent hours on the phone with AT&T to try and resolve this same issue only to be turned away because as it was said it was a Microsoft issue and not an ATT issue. I would strongly suggest that ATT update their support clients with this knowledge as it may save them some customers. Luckily I was able to resolve or I would have been one of them.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 5, 2013
(0)
Is anybody else still having problems making this work. I have all the setting like below but it wont send an email. It receives them but wont send them. I spent an hour on the phone with support and they couldn't get it to work. I even tried with a different outlook account on a different computer and same result.

Incoming (POP) inbound.att.net
Outgoing server (SMTP)
outbound.att.net

Incoming/Outgoing
User Name: Full AT&T email address, including domain
(e.g., test@att.net, test@bellsouth.net)
Outgoing mail port #: 465, secure connection (SSL) checked

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 11, 2013
(0)

@Storageking , did you get this figured out? We have a great team of managers who may be able to help. Send us a private message here. Include your full name, account number, contact information and best time you can be reached. We'll do what we can! 

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 13, 2013
(0)

I am having the same problem as Storageking I can receive in outlook but cannot send.

I have a bellsouth email and have outlook 2010 and this problem came out of the blue a few days ago

I also spend a lot of time with technical support and I can send emails from my ipad

Can anyone help?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 13, 2013
(0)
for months I was unable to SEND emails on my windows live mail... it was very frustrating... I contact at&t numerous times and was always told this is not an at&t issue but a microsoft issue... I was offered to be sent to a support line that charges by the minute to assist me... I always declined... I then was only able to use my webmail which was not satisfying...

then last weekend I got an email stating that there was a fix and I needed to go thru an automated system to correct the settings to be able to send email... the email said I needed to do this by december 11th...

I did it and it worked wonderfully!

then on december 11th?

my windows live email for my bellsouth account now won't RECEIVE emails!

VERY FRUSTRATED! I haven't called because I know they're going to tell me that it's not their issue and it's a microsoft issue but would I like to pay $$$ to talk to an assist line!

very unacceptable!

PLEASE can anyone help???

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 13, 2013
(0)

See if this helps:

Follow the instructions below to set up Windows Live Mail for your AT&T email account.

1. Windows Live Mail is part of the Windows Live Essentials suite of programs which can be downloaded. Click Start > All Programs > Windows Live > Windows Live Mail.
  2. Select Add e-mail account. If you are using Windows Live Mail for the first time, it will automatically pop open the Add e-mail account window. Add email account
  3. In the Email address field, enter your full AT&T email address including the domain.
  4. In the Password field, enter the password associated with your AT&T email address.
  5. Select the checkbox beside Remember password.
  6. In the Display Name field, enter your name the way that you want it to appear to other people when you send an email.
  7. Select the checkbox beside Manually configure server settings for this e-mail account.
  8. Click Next.Next in the lower right corner
  9. From the My incoming mail server is a___ drop-down menu, select POP3.
  10. In the Incoming server field, enter inbound.att.net
  11. Select the checkbox beside This server requires a secure connection (SSL).
  12. In the Port field to the right of Incoming server, type 995
  13. From the Log on using drop-down menu, select Clear text authentication.
  14. In the Login ID field, enter your full AT&T email address. This field will default to only the first part of your email address. You must type in the full address, including the domain e.g., test@att.net.
  15. In the Outgoing server field, enter outbound.att.net
  16. Select the checkbox beside This server requires a secure connection (SSL).
  17. In the Port field to the right of Outgoing server, type 465
  18. Select the checkbox beside My outgoing server requires authentication.
  19. Click Next. Next button
  20. If you intend to use this as your primary email account select the checkbox beside Set this account as the default mail account.
  21. Click Finish. Finish in the lower right corner

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 14, 2014
(0)
These settings are spot on for the iphone but they would not work until I signed on through a regular computer to initiate it first