Posted Nov 29, 2013
add usb connected printer to nvg510

1. Have POC Motorola NVG510 modem, no USB port

2. Have printer and external hard drive with USB only connection

3. How can I connect these devices to LAN?

Not real interested in adding a second wireless modem. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
12-9-2013 3:06:06 PM
(0)

If leaving on the computer 24/7 is not an option, you can add hardware to your network to support the features you want. With the current hardware you have available, it is not possible, as Dmitriy has stated. You could invest in a print server and a USB over IP/Network/Ethernet adapter. (Or a USB NAS and Print Server, such as this one.

Accepted Solution

add usb connected printer to nvg510

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 3, 2013
(0)

Do you have a desktop or laptop computer that they're permanently connect to?

Dmitriy

Community Manager

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: add usb connected printer to nvg510

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 4, 2013
(0)
a desktop. The desktop is hardwired, no wireless. Thanks for responding.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 4, 2013
(0)

As long as they're all on the same network, you can use file and printer sharing features included in your OS, that's pretty basic. A more direct way of accessing hard drives and printers would be to turn one of your computer into a server, that's a more involved process that can require some additional investments and can be pretty tricky, so we won't be covering it here. Links below will help you to get started:

Windows: File and Printer Sharing FAQ

Mac: OS X Mountain Lion Share Your Printer

Mac OS X Maverick Share your Printer

Dmitriy

Community Manager

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 4, 2013
(0)
That solution requires leaving the computer on 24/7. That's not an option

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 4, 2013
(0)

Unfortunately, without a USB equipped router or a wi-fi enabled printer, there is no other option.

Dmitriy

Community Manager

Rethink Possible

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Dec 9, 2013
(0)

If leaving on the computer 24/7 is not an option, you can add hardware to your network to support the features you want. With the current hardware you have available, it is not possible, as Dmitriy has stated. You could invest in a print server and a USB over IP/Network/Ethernet adapter. (Or a USB NAS and Print Server, such as this one.

Solution