Posted Aug 14, 2013
5:06:36 AM
Will I be able watch Al Jazeera America on Aug 20th and beyond?

I know that current tv is no more, and al jazzera america to go live. The question is will I be able to enjoy it. I have been looking forward to this adtion of news channels. In my view ABC* CNN* FOX* *NBC* is not enough.

I am hoping this channel goes live. Maybe some day I will get my wish in see BBCnews as well. I want  more news and less news entertainment.

Not that I want any of the other channels to go away. I just want more options. I like uverse dearly. I am still waiting the 1000's of channels everyone was dreaming about years ago.

I am still kind of irritated., and so is my family that although we enjoy our UVERSE TV. It is still does not live up to the ideal. Kids channels are great. The educational channels are still lacking. Dreaming of the day that we have something equivalant of BBC 4 here.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Aug 20, 2013 8:51:09 AM
(0)
Community Manager

We dropped the Current TV channel, and will not carry Al Jazeera America, on U-verse due to contract disputes. We could not reach an agreement with the owner that we believe provided value for our customers and our business.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
75 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
Replies
(75)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 3:23:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I must admit that I was hyped up to see what Al Jazeera America was all about.  I have heard some good things about Al Jazeera's new coverage compared to the coverage provided by US news networks.  I'm disappointed that U-verse could not come to an agreement to carry that channel.

From what I have read Al Jazeera wants to expand carriage of the network in the US, and is not focused on making a profit at this point.  If true, I could not imagine them asking for an outlandish carriage fee for the channel.  I wonder if there were other factors that came into play with U-verse's decision not to carry.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Will I be able watch Al Jazeera America on Aug 20th and beyond?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 4:21:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

dwinth wrote:

If you owned a business. would you want your customers running your business instead of you running it yourself? Large or small business, the owners have the last say.

Not true.  At some point, if the corporation doesn't do what the customers want, they lose sales and eventually go bankrupt.  The final say is in the hands of the customers.

The final say is in the hands of the people running the corporation. However, I do agree with you that they can be and are greatly influenced by what their customers say and wish. The final contracts, business decisions, etc are made by the people running the corporation.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 4:31:40 PM
(0)
Scholar
I still think not carrying this is somehow related to BeIN Sport, even though some think that is an unsubstantiated rumor. That is my firm opinion on why we don't see Al Jazera today. But it is just that, an OPINION. But I think I have some idea of the way AT&T operates. But maybe since Al Jazera wants to spread their programming across America and money is not their main goal right now people might be able to access Al Jazera America over the Internet like you can Al Jazera English. You might even be able to stream AJA to TV with Roku (like you can AJE now). There are often ways to get around the hardheadedness of AT&T if you look for them.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 5:07:13 PM
(0)
Teacher
Look what happened to Hallmark, Hallmark Movies and Free Speech TV. AT&T, always looking out for their customer. Pfft. They don't listen. They are going to do what any big corporation wants to do, what they want to. The care has been removed from customer care, we're just customer's for as long as we put up with their shenanigans.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 5:13:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

changenthemidst wrote:
Look what happened to Hallmark, Hallmark Movies and Free Speech TV. AT&T, always looking out for their customer. Pfft. They don't listen. They are going to do what any big corporation wants to do, what they want to. The care has been removed from customer care, we're just customer's for as long as we put up with their shenanigans.

When was Free Speech TV on U-verse?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 5:14:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

Can you be more specific about your answer "provided value for our customers and our business"? This is extremely dissapointing. AT&T is doing a disservice to our community by not airing Al Jazeera America. You are depriving your customers of high quality news, which is an asset more valuable than regular programming. The are no alternatives to  CNN, FOX, and MSNBC for a 24/7 news channel. AT&T has a moral obligation to broadcast the news so that the American people can stay informed about the crucial issues of our time. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 6:25:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

For the amount of money I'm paying each month for U-Verse, they should be carrying this channel.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 6:56:18 PM
(0)
Teacher

Same here, randy, same here.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 7:14:51 PM
(0)
Tutor

WHAT? ATT will not carry Al Jazeera America?

Al Jazeera America is the biggest development in cable news programming in more than a decade and ATT is opting out? Your value-proposition just slipped about 20% in my opinion. You should be looking (investing) in FRESH programming options. YAWN at you ATT and this lame brain move.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 7:22:39 PM
(0)
Scholar

AT&T is clearly in the wrong here. They need to do the right thing and offer their subscribers access to Al Jazera America and beIN. They are being stupid and childish.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 7:36:36 PM
(0)
Scholar
Oh I can switch to another provider and watch them if I want to. Don't tell me what not to plan on! It is not like I am forced to use U-Verse.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 7:41:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

codycooper864 wrote:
Oh I can switch to another provider and watch them if I want to. Don't tell me what not to plan on! It is not like I am forced to use U-Verse.

Why would you switch providers just because of one channel that was not even a factor in the U-Verse lineup until it was announced that Current TV was selling out to Al Jazeera? What you get with another provider may not be perfect or even less perfect for your needs either.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 7:43:00 PM
(0)
Contributor

Got home tonight expecting to tune into Al Jazeera and found out that AT&T U-verse is not carrying it. I just switched to U-verse from Comcast thinking I was getting improved services and stations. Very upset also because I feel that I was mislead. Asked before switching if I would be able to get Al Jazeera and was told yes. Had I known, I would have thought twice about the switch at this time. I hope that whatever the issue is that has blocked the channel from being included will be resolved. I feel like a blade of grass between two fighting elephants. And..I'm paying to be in the middle. This sucks!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 7:58:03 PM
(0)
Scholar
I did not say I WOULD switch. I said I COULD! I do not like being told what to plan on because I make my own plans buddy boy! I am waiting to see what they do about the Pac-12 Network before deciding what I wish to do anyway.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 8:05:28 PM
(0)
Contributor

I was really looking forward to being able to watch Al Jazeera America.  I have followed the Al Jazeera English web site for a long time and have been impressed with their unbiased news coverage at a time where all of the U.S. based news seems slanted.  AT&T's decision today was very disappointing.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 8:14:40 PM
(0)

Hello Community Members,

I would like to remind everyone that per the Community Guidelines:

"... The Community Forum is not a venue for discussion of legal matters. Therefore, no such discussions are permitted. We reserve the right to delete inappropriate material."

You can view the guidelines HERE.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

Phil-101
Community Moderator

Community Moderator
Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.
This will help other users find this information too!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 5:31:23 AM
(0)
Contributor

No, you will not be able to watch Al Jazeera since At&T pulled the plug.  This is the final straw for me.  I've had all sorts of problems since I became a UVerse subscriber in January.  Now, I'm ready to go back to Comcast.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 5:37:59 AM
(0)
Scholar

Very happy that they will not carry them.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 6:55:31 AM
(0)
Scholar

Wow! People sure do get worked up over the stupidest stuff. Instead of worrying and threatening over this one channel that will NOT EVER draw big numbers, try spending more time with your kid or pet.

You'd be better off than this constant whining. I don't get my way..i'm leaving and taking my ball back to Comcrap, who I trashed before I trashed AT& T.  

WAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Haven't had NHL Network for 2 years..love hockey. not whining. Get over yourselves.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 8:19:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

bluewahoos86 wrote:

Can you be more specific about your answer "provided value for our customers and our business"? This is extremely dissapointing. AT&T is doing a disservice to our community by not airing Al Jazeera America. You are depriving your customers of high quality news, which is an asset more valuable than regular programming. The are no alternatives to  CNN, FOX, and MSNBC for a 24/7 news channel. AT&T has a moral obligation to broadcast the news so that the American people can stay informed about the crucial issues of our time. 

AT&T is a for profit company, after all, so they do have to watch their bottom line.  I may have jumped the gun, wondering aloud if AT&T made a Political decision not to carry the channel instead of a truly economic one.  That may still be the case, idk.  In a non-related newsgroup, last night, it was mentioned that Current was pulling in 50 cents per subscriber, per month.  Texasguy37 knows the actual # of U-Verse subscribers but if it is 5 million (and assuming that includes TV) multiply that by 50 cents, equals well over $2M a month.  SO, I can see that AT&T might balk at that rate as there are cheaper channels that I regularly watch.  PLUS they had to cough up more $ for FOX Sports 1.  Long story short (and directed squarely at AT&T): I never watched Current but would more than likely tune in at least some to AJ.   Please reconsider.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 8:31:43 AM
(0)
Teacher

This is ridiculous - I cannot believe att made this choice.  As soon as I got home yesterday, I tried to watch the channel only to discover their last minute, lame decision.  Their reason for not airing the channel is just not true.  They were afraid of backlash & decided to become censors.  All my reasons for leaving Comcast pale to this.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 8:37:02 AM
(0)
Tutor

I, too, am disappointed and angry that AT&T is not showing Al Jazeera.  Who can we file our complaints with?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 8:38:12 AM
(0)
Tutor

Who posted this lie on 8/14???

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 9:04:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

fthindal wrote:

Who posted this lie on 8/14???

What lie are you referring to? As subscribers, we assumed that U-Verse would broadcast Al Jazeera as it took the place of Current TV. We had no idea that there were negotiations going on that would lead to Al Jazeera not being on U-Verse.

No one lied to anyone. It was a wrong assumption on the part of the subscribers.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 9:04:59 AM
(0)
Voyager

Demitri,

I agree with you commentary.

I wished we could see the dayly BBC from the UK, not the USA editorialized TV.

Also some other TV channels from all over the world will be helpful.

We would get some more unbiased news.

Unfortunately ATT belongs to the same catogory as news bringers.

paul van den muysenberg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 9:10:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

pvmuysen wrote:

Demitri,

I agree with you commentary.

I wished we could see the dayly BBC from the UK, not the USA editorialized TV.

Also some other TV channels from all over the world will be helpful.

We would get some more unbiased news.

Unfortunately ATT belongs to the same catogory as news bringers.

paul van den muysenberg

Paul - you may be asking a lot of a TV Provider.  CNN International and a few other foreign language channels are all that
you would get anywhere.  A shortwave radio or audio / video streams from International broadcasters are better bets.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 9:39:15 AM
(0)
Scholar
I don't care about this channel i never watched Current maybe new channel channel could be added in its place like the Blaze or BBC HD that's what i hope we can get .

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 9:52:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
That subscriber fee for Current TV is way off base. According to news articles that I read, the fee was 12 cents per subscriber. It was also speculated that Al Jazeera might initially drop that fee all together in order to gain widespread coverage of Al Jazeera America.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 10:06:29 AM
(0)
Guru

Someone posted some information about this channel and some of the news anchors that will be featured on this channel.  I then did the appropriate research into these people and I simply rolled my eyes.

This channel isn't anything like what some people think that this channel is going to be.  If they think that this channel is going to provide a different viewpoint than say, MSNBC, CBS, or ABC News I've got some bottom land to sell you.  I just won't tell you what it's at the bottom of.

OK, so let's name off some of the news anchors that will be featured on Al Jazeera America.

One of the evening news shows features John Seigenthaler.  Where did he come from?  MSNBC.

Oh, and here's another known news person.  Joie Chenex CNN & CBS anchor.  Oh, and lookie here... Antonio Mora, ex ABC anchor.

Don't think for one second they aren't bringing their own bias to the news channel and the news programs that they host on it.  Same old news hacks that we see on American news outlets.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 11:44:14 AM
(0)
Scholar

trparky wrote:

Someone posted some information about this channel and some of the news anchors that will be featured on this channel.  I then did the appropriate research into these people and I simply rolled my eyes.

This channel isn't anything like what some people think that this channel is going to be.  If they think that this channel is going to provide a different viewpoint than say, MSNBC, CBS, or ABC News I've got some bottom land to sell you.  I just won't tell you what it's at the bottom of.

OK, so let's name off some of the news anchors that will be featured on Al Jazeera America.

One of the evening news shows features John Seigenthaler.  Where did he come from?  MSNBC.

Oh, and here's another known news person.  Joie Chenex CNN & CBS anchor.  Oh, and lookie here... Antonio Mora, ex ABC anchor.

Don't think for one second they aren't bringing their own bias to the news channel and the news programs that they host on it.  Same old news hacks that we see on American news outlets.

Or maybe there just is a huge desire for people to leave the major "news" outlets so that they can do real journalism instead of the lowest common denominator garbage that most American networks have devolved into.