Need help with your equipment?
ato-1141's profile

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

Tuesday, January 22nd, 2013 10:13 PM

Why can't I order 18mpbs in my area?

I just recently switched from COX internet to ATT U-Verse with DirecTV and I can't figure out why when I call the customer sales department that they give me this bull of, "18 is not available in your area". 

DSL Details

Down Up

Modem TypeBuilt in modem - VDSL
Connection Type 

DSL LineRJ-11

User Rate13261 kbs1525 kbs
Max User Rate37320 kbsNot Available
Noise Margin18.0 dBNot Available
Attenuation25.1 dBNot Available
Output Power13.5 dBm3.3 dBm

ProtocolG.993.2 
ChannelInterleaved 
DSLAM Vendor InformationCountry {65461} Vendor {CXSY} Specific {12291 }
Rate Cap13264 kbs 
Attenuation @ 300kHz17.0 dB 
Uncanceled Echo0.0 dBOk
VCXO Frequency Offset0.0 ppmOk
Final Receive Gain7.0 dBOk
Excessive Impulse Noise0

I am about 450 Feet from the DSLAM box. Maybe somebody could give me a real technical answere of why I can not order 18 Mpbs.

Thanks 🙂  

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

11 years ago

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2464962527.png I finally got it figured out. It took over 2 hours talking to the Teir 2 support but we figured it out. They added the 18mpbs speed.

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get it.  I would recommend that you send a Private Message to the AT&TCustomerCare customer service team. They will reply back with a PM (blue envelope in the top right of the page). Their normal business hours are from 7am to 10pm Central Time.

They will get to the bottom of it and if you can't get it tell you why.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

11 years ago

After talking to the U-Verse sales team, they said that I had to pay them 100 bucks for them to come out to where i live and so called "TWEAK" the line. This is ridiculous. I have never heard of an ISP provider charging customers because their own internet lines cannot handle 18mpbs without servicing it. 

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

You were originally a self-install, right?  This means that they didn't do all the normal line testing that an installer would have done, because they assumed that the lines ALREADY IN PLACE were good enough for 12/1.5 Mbps.  

You could urinate and moan, threaten to leave for Cable Internet, and see if they'd be willing to comp the truck roll.  Ya never know.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

11 years ago

It was a self-install; however they came out anyways and tested the lines. For example the AT&T guy came out and said to me "We need to bury new cable line because the one you have is old". So there is the annoying black cable that is going from my box all the way to AT&T box in our backyard. Anyways I talked to a guy last night and he told me that 18Mpbs is all of a sudden available in your area however it gives them an error when they try apply the new speed connection. I explained to him that you guys already came out to test the lines and you even installed a whole new cable. The AT&T guy who came out had this computer box tester and he tested the line to see speed and noise level. The U-Verse technician guy who I talked to last night said that It will take a week to processes the new order so you can get your 18Mpbs. With COX internet you would just call them, and they would just flip a switch and "Their is your 35Mpbs". I miss that atmosphere. 

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

You can switch back and forth... if your connection profile supports it.  Yours doesn't.  Most internet-only subscribers get a 13/2 profile by default.  With that you could freely switch back and forth between 12 and 6 (as if you'd want to).  You need to get up to a higher profile.  U-verse IPTV subscribers get 25/3 by default and can get 32/5 after a line evaluation to ensure it supports it.  If you have 25/2, then you can have 18/1.5 Internet.  With 32/5, you can get 24/3 Internet.

BTW, your stats would indicate you should be able to handle the 25/2 profile, but not the 32/5 one.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

I'm glad they were able to help you.  Stop back in anytime.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.