matrona4146's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, January 4th, 2014 6:48 PM

What is Web Portal Ring?

I had 4 phone calls yesterday on my home phone from web portal ring. It has my home number on the caller id and called very late at night. I'm wondering if anyone knows what this is? When answering the phone nothing was on the other line. just complete silence.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

Uverse has the ability for you to return calls thru an interactive app on the TV.  You access it by pressing menu > interactive > interactive apps > services > phone services.  You will then see incoming calls to your number on the TV screen.  You can select one of the numbers by highlighting it and then press ok and your home phone will ring.  In the caller id you will see "web portal call" and your phone number.

There used to be a yellow pages app that would allow you to search businesses and you could call them by selecting their number on the TV and it would call your phone back in the same manner but I can't seem to find that any longer. 

Edit:  You can also place calls, like mentioned above, thru the AT&T Uverse Portal by logging into your account and going to "voice features" then to "call log".  You can dial any number that shows up in that log by clicking it, or on the left pane you can enter any number you want and click call.  Your home phone will ring with the caller id I listed above and you can complete the call by answering your phone.

So it would appear that it was someone within your home using the TV app, OR someone was accessing your Uverse Portal and doing it thru that.  If you think it was being done thru the portal and no one in your immediate residence was the one doing it I would change my password to the portal for security reasons.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I tested it out and sure enough that popped up on the caller id. what I wonder is if we were sleeping how that happened.

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

I don't know if you saw my edit to my post.  Take a look at that.  That would be the only other way unless someone was sleeping on the remote control and just happened to get the right place!!!  LOL

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I did see the edit after I sent the last message. Thank You for your help. 🙂

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

Your Welcome!!  Stop back by if you have any additional questions!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

This answer is incorrect. My phone rang and connected itself using my caller ID to a scam credit agency.  It seems the collection agencies have the ability to use this portal ring back feature to harass you. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I received 4-5 calls this morning that all said Web Portal Ring with my number, within 5 minutes - but I didn't initiate the calls! The phone rang, the display said Web Portal Ring and showed my phone #. This is the first time this has happened. I got frustrated and answered the third one, and a guy answered with an accent and said I called him - I said I didn't...and told him to not call me again - he must have thought I'd fallen off my rocker! I finally unplugged the phone from the gateway and turned off the power.  Later I plugged in the phone again and searched on Google "Web Portal Ring" and found this.

I went to the Uverse Menu on my tv, and found phone services, but how do I turn it off so it doesn't make calls on my behalf? I don't want Web Portal Ring to initiate calls autonomously, and my phone rings!

I know you said above "someone was accessing your Uverse Portal and doing it thru that.  If you think it was being done thru the portal and no one in your immediate residence was the one doing it I would change my password to the portal for security reasons." What password am I supposed to change, the one to myATT?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.